Combo or Stack?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
For rock, hard rock, and metal a closed back cab (stack) sounds better.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Small indoor gigs for Rock and blues, open back...
Outdoor gigs and large venues, closed back...

Dave_C

I almost always prefer a 4x12 cab over 1x12 or 2x12 cabs. Combos are great for really tight situations though.

I like both but I think from now on I'll be getting combos. I just switched my Mark V from a head and closed back cab to a combo and don't really miss the added tightness and low end from the closed back cab while I really like the "change" (hard to describe) that happened with the med gain to clean tones upon moving to the combo.

Artjr

Silver Supporting Member
A 112 combo that can sound good by itself and great hooked to a 412.

EADGBE

A half stack is my favorite right now. But I have a combo that sounds great too.

Miles

I HATE closed back cabs - too directional. I played all last year in a stoner metal band with an open back cab. No issues and the tone filled out the mix a lot better.

My preference is one great 2x12 cab and a couple of heads for various uses. You get that airy open back combo sound but only need to own one cab and heads are cheaper than combos and easier to work on if needed.

tenchijin2

I've always felt more comfy with combos but there's no real reason for it. They both get the job done in nearly any genre.

Stratobuc

Combos are more versatile, and some will hang with any stack volume-wise. The drawback is, they're heavy, and the speakers can make your tubes microphonic.

Dr.Lee

I have a Mesa Mark V half stack, and a Hotrod DeVille 4x10 combo. It all depends on what style I am playing and the venue as to which I choose.

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
stack definitely, head + small 1x12 or 2x12 cab (that would actually make it a halfstack)

Trending Topics