1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Combo showdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimwratt, Feb 15, 2009.

What should I do?

1. Make the trade...get that sweet mesa tone

2. Don't make the trade...keep that sweet marshall tone

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jimwratt

jimwratt Member

I'm trying to figure out if I should trade my marshall tsl combo for a mesa lonestar classic. I'd like to see some votes and some explanations/opinions if possible. At the moment, I only use the clean channel on my marshall and push it with pedals for leads. I don't really like the heavier channels on it. I get metal sounds with a modeller into the loop.

I want to have the ability to play most styles except for the contemporary metal (if I needed to though, I'd look into pedals for that...its really not my thing though). I'm looking for great cleans, great crunch tones, and some screaming creamy leads that really cut through.

Is the lonestar classic an upgrade from my marshall. I suspect that it is, but I'd like to hear some opinions. Have at 'em.

2. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Oh yea, well then what's the point of TGP? Your absolutely no help whatsoever to this dude.

3. jimwratt

jimwratt Member

Well, I've tried the lonestar out before and I loved it. But, that was only in the store (which is a whole different ballgame). I was hoping to hear from people who have had more experience with the lonestar classic who know more about the characteristics that might appear later and under different conditions.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I don't have a LoneStar but I was kind of in the same boat as you.
    I've had my JCM800 1x12 Combo for over 15 years. LOVE it.

The big problem is it useless at bedroom volumes and it only has one master volume for the two channels. This makes it harder to balance the two channels.

I picked up a MESA F-50 1zx12 combo about a month ago and it is just about the perfect amp for me. Sounds very similar to my JCM800 except each channel has it's own gain & master and its sounds GREAT at bedroom volumes.

So the next thing to do is sell my Marshall, or so I thought. I can't bring myself to part with it so I'm keeping both.

Moral of the story, get the Mesa and keep your Marshall.

5. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I have been going through a tonal makeover within the last 3-4 months, trying out just about anything I can get my hands on. I'm new to using the amp to "break up" for the overdrive...pretty cool to toy around with.

For me, I didn't care for the Mesa that much. I thought it broke up way too soon but then again, I like cleans (or at least a slight overdrive if its smooth) to go pretty loud before losing them. My old Peavey Classic 50/410 could be cranked on 9 and still be pretty clean and loud - the front Peavey logo busted off (it fell off the back of a truck!) and everyone thought I was using a vintage Fender for the longest time. Haha!

Out of all the "would play at a big show" amps, the Marshall JTM heads did it for me. They're a little pricey but with a LP/SG style guitar it was just amazing.

I guess it comes down to how much power you need. I'm sure the Lonestar I played could have benefited from some better tubes and maybe a speaker change to give it some more headroom. I'm sure with a strat or tele it'd be awesome but it didn't fit well with the LP I was playing at the time.

How many people are you usually playing to? Is weight an issue? Size? What kind of output pups are you using? I see a lot of people using Marshall stacks on 2-3 in small places and then there's Eric Clapton playing fairly small cranked Fenders to 100,000s.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    If you just want cleans & pedal friendly - Mesa Lonestar all the way. Plus the Mesa 5:50 is just as good clean, plus lighter and $500 cheaper. Reverb on both is fabulous. Plus they're both Series Loop. Isn't the Marshall TSL parrallel.

These two Mesa's are as great as I've ever heard clean. Very Fenderish and many people think they're better. Test em out and see if you do too.

7. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Yes you are right , that's why I deleted my post but I guess not soon enough .
    I just feel players have to get out and try more gear . I know it's good to ask for advice on here but when you ask which guitar or amp to buy you get 1000 different suggestions which probably confuses the OP even more :messedup
    At least in the case of this one he has narrowed it down......it's the wide open ones I don't get .

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

TSL Clean channel: All solid state
    LSC Clean channel: Sweet tubes
    TSL Crunch channel: pretty sweet
    LSC Crunch: well, no channel, but you can ride your volume
    TSL Lead: IMO, mush
    LSC Lead: Classic gain structure, more f than m

Overall: The LSC sounds sweeter in every aspect IMO and takes pedals well
    The TSL will eventually fail due to the PCB board becoming conductive, seen too many of those at my shop.....

Good luck deciding...

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I've often wondered about those types of posts also. The OP here already has it narrowed down between two amps but I've seen some posts that simply say something like "What's the best amp for under $1000" and that's all. No mention of the type of music they play, what guitar or effects they use or where they plan on using it.

10. bynt

bynt Member

Well I have to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the TSL but that aside it sounds like from what you're looking for in an amp, the Mesa fit's the bill. Just me!!!

11. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

A Mesa Lonestar Classic will not break up too early ...
    IMO the amps.. Marshall & Lonestar are non-comparable .... totally different sounds, touch & feel ..

If you want tones that truly stay clean ... Lonestar Classic..
    If you want a smooth OD tone ... Lonestar Classic (can actually be too smooth for some...)
    (think completely opposite with the Marshall ...)

The Mesa 5:50 is a great amp & has great clean tones,
    but no where are near as huge as the Lonestar ... (they are not the same in that way ...)
    The Mesa 5:50 has great OD tones, but not cabable of being as smooth as the Lonestar can be ..
    (as I've owned & gigged with both ....)

The Lonestar Classic covers a lot of frequency space ... not a narrow beam of sound ....
    The Lonestar Special breaks up early and is totally different tonally then the Classic
    (which is how it is voiced/intended to be ...)

12. Trout

Trout Member

I could not vote,
    IMO these are the early symptoms of G.A.S.

Progression beyond this point will result in decades of joy and despair, huge investments of time and money, and a journey into a never ending quest for tone.
    :D

13. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

My LSC 2x12 was the biggest sounding amp I had owned. Also the heaviest. For cleans, versatility, features light to medium crunch it's a great choice.
    1x12 combo would get my vote over the Marshall

14. jimwratt

jimwratt Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Special thanks to fusion bear for that info on the tsl's clean channel. I didn't know that. That's definitely something to consider since the only channel on the TSL that I use is the clean channel.

As for Jazzydave's questions, I use a strat, and two humbucker-equiped shredder type guitars (a strat and a tele). I also use a fretless les paul type guitar from time to time. And weight is no issue at all (I'm a recreational weightlifter and my TSL weighs a ton as well; about 70 pounds). How much does the LSC 112 weigh?

15. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

OK nitehawk55, I wondered where your post went. As soon as I posted, yours was gone, at least I saved your quote in my post. Your'e right though about, "at least he narrowed it down". He can't go wrong with either amp. I have an LSC and it does a lot of things really well, you just have to take time with it, read the manual, and listen with your ears.

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember it being around 80 pounds.

The two amps are completely different animals. I agree with the poster who said the LSC is sweeter sounding in every respect than the Marshall. All of its tones, clean and dirty alike, are characterized by warmth and smoothness. The Marshall is much more aggressive and hard-edged sounding. It's a matter of what suits you better. Personally I really dig those smooth, throaty, rounded tones, so I'd go with the LSC over the Marshall in a second.

You will need a pedal to push the amp into high-gain territory when needed, but it sounds like that's not a problem for you.

17. jimwratt

jimwratt Member

Sadly this is all for naught. Someone scooped up that lonestar before I was able to make it back to the store. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

18. jimwratt

jimwratt Member

In any event, I got a lot of good advice in this thread so thanks all around.

Also, I've learned that I should start thinking of an upgrade from this marshall. I've found that it only has 2 sounds that I even remotely like and it does those only with enhancements (outboard eq and such). I might as well look into an amp that gets better versions of those sounds with less effort on my part and that also has other usable sounds. This is of course a result of some recent tonal maturing on my part. I thought a Marshall tube amp would answer all my prayers, but I've gotten beyond the brand thing. I'm definitely more open and critical when it comes to tones and gear these days.

So far, I've tried out the Fender Super Sonic, which I like a lot. Are there any similar mass produced amps similar to it that you guys might recommend? I'm away at college for the next few months and I don't have the ability to go out and try a bunch of amps (the local music store doesn't have them, and won't order them unless I'm ready to buy). These recommendations would be more for research purposes, so I can learn more about different amp makers and what they offer. That way when I finally get around some amps I'll at least have some criterion to consider which might not be readily available (reliability, etc).

Also, mesa amps have proven to be the most elusive for me (as in i've found it exceedingly difficult to get in the same room as one for long enough to figure out what i like from what i don't.) I also suspect that there are some discontinued mesas that might appeal to me. The LSC was the only one that I ever had the chance to check out. Because I know little about the rest of their products first hand, i was hoping someone might give me a little orientation in terms of what they sound like and where I can get them. I am especially curious about the F series.

Ultimately the tones I'm looking for are a cutting plexi sound and a fender tr clean. My favorite tones are those copped by Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson, and Jimi Hendrix. I'm basically looking for something like the LSC with maybe a little more gain that I could find new or used for under 1000.

The wattage switching options on the LSC were very appealing (they are one of the redeeming features on my marshall). Outside of marshall and mesa, who else makes amps with that feature?

Oh, and sorry nitehawk, i know I just went open ended again.