Combos with mismatched speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheGuildedAge, Feb 12, 2008.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I just picked up a Framus Ruby Riot, which has a greenback and vintage 30.

Any idea why they (or any amp builder) would mismatch speakers? Do they know something I don't? It seems to be the dB difference would be too great.

I seem hear the V30 more.

Just curious what the reasoning might be.

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Matchless has done this for years, the reason for mismatching them is to smooth out and broaden the frequency range of the amp. I found a great combination to be a Celestion Alnico Blue along with a Celestion G12H Heritiage 30 watt, killer combination, plus both speaker have the same efficiency of 100db, so they work together and there isn't a predominant speaker.

TheGrooveking

3. davebc

davebc Member

It seems very common these days, my DC-30 and Louis Electric all have mismatched speakers. I really prefer it now. Things sure sound a lot more interesting.(how's that for a technical explaination?)

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

My guess with the framus is the greenback handles the clean tones, and the v30 does the gain. I suppose it's hard to find a speaker that does both.

5. voxer

voxer Member

my Gabriel cab has a Blue and a Greenback and I really like the versatility of the two together, mic'ing the Blue with a Sennheiser E609 and the Greenback with a AKG C3000B or MD421 - I can't wait to get into the studio and really dive into that! given the Blue's extra bit of sensitivity, I'd say I hear it a bit more, but I like the combination of hearing maybe 60% Blue and 40% Greenback.

6. burner

burner Member

My Li'l Dawg D-Lux (2-10") was ordered with two different Jensens...a ceramic and an AlNiCo.
    I suppose it could be an asset in a situation where you need to mic the amp and one sounds better for the particular room or board.

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

When I save up some cash, I may try a blue. Can they handle gain?

8. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I've got mixed feelings on this. Bogner 4x12 cabs. I don't LOVE the regular V30 loaded cabs(I'm the only one in the entire world who doesn't love this cab)....odd, because V30 are my favorite speakers in 4x12's. Now the Uber cab, V30s & 75s in the X pattern, this cab sounds great to me...and in general I HATE 75's.

the Matchess 2x12 cabs I think sound great...greenback+H30? I think.

I had 2 Splawn 4x12's - one w/V30's, the other with V30's and H30's in X pattern. Like the all V30 cab much better.

I know they're all different cabs/designs, I've come to the conclusion - sometimes its cool, sometimes not so much. I guess its like anything else, people hear stuff different.

9. TIG

TIG Member

really like my v-30/ G12-H pair seem to work well together

10. thesooze

thesooze Member

ZBest cabs ship with a Vintage 30 and a G12H30, do they not?

11. sus4

sus4 Member

Top Hat used to do that (may still do that). It makes sense to me that mismatched speakers will compliment each other and fill out your tone!

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Seems to me, that if both speakers sound good with the same eq settings they wil be comlpementary, given near equal efficiency, but, if you need to alter eq for best tone from either one you are in a bit of a quandary, and have stepped outside of a complementary pair. YMMV

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Its only a mismatch if
    A) they cany handle the output of the amp

B) they dont sound good together. ;)

Otherwise mismatch away! Love the sound of a G12H-30 with a G12-65! Bob