Come, help me with my dilemma...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

So, I have a 50w head and 4x12 cab in an apartment, with no car, and a huge city around me. Thus, I can't play my rig at anything like a good volume, plus I can't get it around. I love this rig to death, Diezel -> Bogner, sounds incredible, but it's bugging me more and more the fact it sits unused most of the time, and isn't used to anywhere near it's potential any of the time.

I mean, it really is a bit of a wrench as I love this rig, but I'm considering offloading it and picking up an Axe-FX. I mean, I'm somewhat tempted to just go with an X3 Live or something, but I don't think I could handle the come-down in terms of tonal quality, no matter how much the versatility and practicality improved. That isn't a knock on the Pod series, for what they are they're great, but it isn't gonna stand up to a Diezel/Bogner rig tonally.

One side of me says that I've sold rigs I've loved before - XTC/Mark IV/Mark IIC+ - and gone on to enjoy the next one, so why the fear, but it kinda feels like a whole new world, ya know?

I'm studying at GIT London at the minute so a huge, loud amp isn't a requirement, plus the fact I'm not gigging right now renders it even more... pointless. However, if I were to start gigging again soon, as I have been jamming with a drummer and bassist as late, the Axe-FX could be handy there too. And what with the large variety of styles to cover, again, it seems a plus for the Axe.

Also, the recording via SPDIF is something I'd enjoy. I love jamming/writing/recording whilst sitting at the PC so that really appeals. Plus, direct to PA at a gig with a monitor behind me, in theory, should work.

I mean, I dunno if it's partly ego or whatever or I'm wanting to keep my rig for the wrong reasons when it all points to letting it go for something smaller/more mobile/sounds good quieter, but as I said, it's a wrench.

Opinions?

2. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Nobody has an opinion? :)

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Big amps and nowhere to use em....a sad reality for many.

I haven't played the Axe-fx, but that could be a great option for a city player on the move. Most clubs and rehearsals have PAs and backline, so could be viable.

4. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Get rid of it, buy a smaller, nice amp that could sound nice in your apt. and be miked in case you start to gig. You have a great amp now, after having sold other nice ones. Even if you get rid of your current one, you'll pick up another great one later when you need it, won't you? You've done it before...

And getting rid of this one says that your better judgement is stronger than the fear that you'll suffer by missing out on something. That's great for one's self-esteem.

5. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I thought about a Peavey Windsor Studio. $400 1-12" all tube 25 watt or so, and it has a built-in attenuator which will allow you to get the good tube sound at a low, low volume. I have only heard one in a Peavey demo online, but it sounded like 60's Marshall tone, and I loved it. I can't testify for it otherwise, haven't ever seen one. Or how about a $250-$400 Blackstar or Epiphone or Blackheart 5 watt?

6. 03hal

03hal Member

Sell it and buy the Axe-FX. Or hell, buy a tonelab, or a pod. It sounds like your current rig does not match your current needs, so why not cash out and pick up something more appropriate?

One other thing to consider is that, at least in these parts, the used market is very soft right now, and most folks expect it to get worse before it gets better. If you are going to end up selling your gear in the next 6 months anyway (and it sounds like you will), then you'll probably get more for it today than you will in the summer.

7. Birdy

Birdy Member

Here's my take....

So you can't crank it.

It's like having great art, man. I don't have paintings worth gazillions of dollars...I have amps worth hundreds....even two worth thousands.
    I would rather enjoy the vibe of having something I REALLY love looking
    at....and can be handled and played, rather than hanging on a wall.
    Guitars included too.

Besides, one day you might move out into the sticks and you'll kick
    yourself for selling it.

Been there, done that:horse

YMMV.

8. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

what district of london are you living in?

9. Franktone

Franktone Member

Keep your rig. Get a small single 12 speaker cabinet for carting around and keep your 4x12.
    But, if your current is way too loud, and you want to down size in power, then I would consider downsizing in the power of a head, and possibly the cabinet size. But it is always to at least have one 4x12 around for recording or creating great sounds, even at low volumes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  10. Woozy

Woozy Member

If you like the head, keep it!
    Ditch the 4x12" though... downsize to a 1x12" or 2x12".
    Obviously, it's a bit impractical for an apartment, but I think it's probably so for a gig also if you don't have a car.

I'm in a 2nd floor apartment, in a big city with no car too.

As much as I've wanted a 4x12", it's just not going to happen.
    I have a 2x12" and a 1x12" and that's fine.
    But my heads are staying!

11. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I've done several gigs using my Pod X3L direct into a powered monitor/split in the PA, and it sounds really good. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like a guitar amp thumping you in the butt(bum to you Englishmen). But it gets 90% of the mojo, is extremely portable, and might be a good compromise for you in your situation. You can always hang on to your rig for those Wembly stadium gigs...

Also, it does a great job recording direct through SPDIF, and using the Output select you can get some great sounds going into the loop or front of an amp. Plus, the multitudes of amp models and effects can be very creative tools. I'd check it out.

12. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

West Hampstead.

13. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Assuming you have a typical budget, what you're REALLY talking about is selling the Big Rig in order to put together the cash for a really nice small combo or Axe-FX. The other possibility is to keep the big one and scrape together enough to buy a portable budget tube amp. That's your choices.

Remember, any tube combo can happily drive a 4x12. So maybe you could trade the HEAD in on a nicer combo and keep the 4x12 for when you have the chance to drive it right again.

But look at it this way... not only are you not gigging, you WON'T be gigging if you're in London and that monster is the only amp rig you have! If you want to gig, you need something you can take on a bus by yourself, right? It doesn't matter how cool your Big Rig is if it's utterly impractical and all you have. You're denying yourself opportunities.

Someone compared it to great art. I'd compare it more to choosing between great art and going out and DOING wonderful things rather than staring at the paintings on your wall.

14. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Interesting man, thanks.

15. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I can't imagine tying up that kind of money in an amp I can't use.

I say own what you can use at the time. Your favorite rig will still be available to buy when you can use it properly.

If you aren't getting that rig to 2, maybe 3, then whats the point other than bragging rights?

16. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

This is exactly the issue at hand.

17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Out of curiosity are you saying this because you have tried the Axe FX or is it pure conjecture?

Given the OP's interest in a variety of styles and interest in working with a computer the Axe FX could be a very good fit. Understand that it may take some time to get it where you want, and the cost of putting together a rig that you can gig with may be around $2.5K.

I like my Axe FX and think you should definitely try one, but with that said, I'd be hesitant to sell a rig I really liked in order to buy one I'd never even tried.

Another option might be to keep your current rig and get a used Roland Cube 60...it's portable and would work well for rehearsals and your studies. If you start gigging again you could use the Diezel with a 1x12 or 2x12 if portability is an issue.

With all of that said, I think you'd really enjoy the Axe FX and would highly recommend checking one out if you can. While you may not like it's high gain tone better than your Diezel, you might like it even better and you'd certainly have a much wider variety of tones and effects to choose from.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

18. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

^Yeah it is a worry to perhaps buy one without playing it but I don't know anybody local who owns one. I'm a little confused I guess!

19. Franktone

Franktone Member

The Axe Fx has some really good sounds. I can see that you can get a lot of impressive sounds for not a huge outlay of money. The small combo idea sounds like a good idea. If the Axe Fx suits a person's needs, I can see it as a good option, and you can certainly save your back.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  20. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I had similar isuues when I lived in Montreal. My best answer in those days was a small tube combo (scored a mint Music Man RD 50 cheap at pawn shop) that was loud enough to gig but small enough to sit on the seat of a cab. These days choices are even better. If you feel you must have a variety of amps and a huge range of effects, the Axe may serve you well, but if you get what you need out of a single amp, then find a small portable combo that you can power up or down and keep an extension cab around to make it sound bigger for gigs. There's good reason why Princeton Reverbs are the gigging amp of choice in New York.The advice to focus on the art as opposed to the gear is spot on. Get whatever gives you the chance to play the most.