• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Comfortable Headphones

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
I'm on the search for a comfortable set of headphones for mixing and casual listening, since the Audio Technica ATH-M40's I currently have are murder on my ears after about a half hour. My budget is $150-$230.

I'm considering Beyerdynamics but not sure about which ones. I was thinking about the DT 770 or the 990's, which all of a sudden came down in price on Amazon.

Any recommendations for something that's comfortable? Thanks in advance.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
You're probably on the right track. My Beyerdynamic DT 880s are really comfy.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
You're probably on the right track. My Beyerdynamic DT 880s are really comfy.
Thanks! I've read that the 80 ohm version has more bass, with the 250 ohm ones lacking a little bass and being trebly. Any truth to that?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I recently had a go on beyer 990's and they sound more like being in the room with speakers and feel more comfy than any other phones that I have used.

All the high end headphones appear to be grossly overpriced for what you get.
I've been inside a few.
And they all break after being jerked off of desks, stepped on dropping off mic stands, etc.
Light, comfy, great sound, rugged, replaceable parts and cheap is what I want!

Last edited:

Jakejj2000

I'm on the search for a comfortable set of headphones for mixing and casual listening, since the Audio Technica ATH-M40's I currently have are murder on my ears after about a half hour. My budget is $150-$230.

I'm considering Beyerdynamics but not sure about which ones. I was thinking about the DT 770 or the 990's, which all of a sudden came down in price on Amazon.

I own Audio Technica ATH M50x. Let me tell you. I wore them on the plane to England and back. I didn't take them off once during the flight. They have the most amazing depth with the audio for being close backed headphones. Great price. Replaceable cable, and fantastic customer service. The best buy I have ever made! When I compared them with Bose, they were out of the park.

Chris63

Silver Supporting Member
I like open back cans for mixing, typically Sennheiser 650. I like closed back cans for tracking, I am looking for sound isolation when tracking foremost. Something along the lines of the Sennheiser HD380.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks all. I'm going to order the 880's and see where that takes me -- I can always return them and swap for something else. I won't be tossing the AT's away, it's just that I can't have them on for very long without my ears getting sore.

sants

Sony mdr-7506 are some of the nicest for the money you will find if the 880 doesn't work out

Rex Anderson

Audio Technica ATH-M40's suck compared to Audio Technica ATH M50x. Sony MDR-7506 are OK, but the ATH M50x are better sounding and at least as comfortable.

JCM 800

I bought a pair of DT 770's and have been extremely disappointed in the lacking of bass. I don't want hyped low end but these are very very weak. They are super comfortable but are not useful at all for me. A mix doesn't come anywhere close to translating on other playback systems.

Others like them a lot, YMMV.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a pair of DT 770's and have been extremely disappointed in the lacking of bass. I don't want hyped low end but these are very very weak. They are super comfortable but are not useful at all for me. A mix doesn't come anywhere close to translating on other playback systems.

Good to know. I was reading one review comparing the 250 ohm to the 80 ohm version of the 770's, and the person found the 80 ohm version to have more bass, whereas the 250 ohm version was lacking in that area and trebly.

sants

Try the Sony MDR-7506 sometime.

JCM 800

Good to know. I was reading one review comparing the 250 ohm to the 80 ohm version of the 770's, and the person found the 80 ohm version to have more bass, whereas the 250 ohm version was lacking in that area and trebly.
I will have to check what ones I have. I don't remember having a choice when I ordered them, so maybe I got the crappy ones!

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
DT 770's and have been extremely disappointed in the lacking of bass.
Have you looked into mods for that model.
I have seen, IIRC, instructions for changing something in the driver chambers to alter response of some model.
Check it out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom