1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

comfortably numb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mlynn02, Jan 12, 2006.

1. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i heard this tune for the first time in a while the other day, and gilmour's solo tone is just awesome! anyone have any idea how to acheive that tone? is it a flanger? or an octave up, or some kind of treble booster? it can't be just guitar into amp, can it?

any insight is welcome!

thanks,
    matt

2. trucks

trucks Member

I'm not sure, but look at the Skreddy Top Fuel if you want to that and other Gilmour tones.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

From Gilmourish.com :

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]COMFORTABLY NUMB

studio:

Ovation Legend acoustic steel string guitar, high strung
    Ovation Legend acoustic steel string guitar
    Fender Strat, bridge pickup
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]- rhythm 1; acoustic guitar (high strung)
    - rhythm 2; acoustic guitar (reported played by Lee Ritenour)
    - solo; Big Muff through a HiWatt 100w amp and a Yamaha leslie
    - rhythm/solo; Big Muff

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] live:

Fender Strat, bridge pickup
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]- solo; Dynacomp, Big Muff, Electric Mistress and delay
    Snowy played acoustic guitar

-Ben
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

4. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I think the Euthymia ICBM gets the tone for that particular song better than the Top Fuel, which is better suited to later Gilmour tones (e.g.; Momentary Lapse, Pulse, Division Bell)

5. TimH

TimH Member

how do people get useable tones out of Big Muffs? They've always sounded...well....muffled to me. Too wooly. Is the key running it into a cranked amp or something?

6. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

It depends on what you mean by "useable," what kind of music you want to play, which version of Big Muff we're talking about, which pickup you use, etc.

For example, with Comfortably Numb, I think Gilmour may be using an IC version Big Muff (Euthymia's clone is called the ICBM), which is much tighter than a discreet-transistor version. Plus he's probably using the bridge pickup or maybe the middle one.

For Pumpkins, the Siamese Dream tone can be had using a triangle-knob version Big Muff and the neck pickup. For Black Sabbath, just switch to the bridge pickup, and you're there (yeah; I know Iommi uses an SG, a treble booster, and a cranked Laney, but you can get a great Sabbath tone with a Strat's bridge pu and an old BMP). For Pumpkins Mellon Collie tones, a mid-70's version Big Muff can be used for more harshness and gain than the triangle-knob version is capable of.

For tighter tones with more high end, I modded the BMP circuit to use a mosfet input stage and added extra doo-dads :)D) to the clipping diodes, plus a smaller input cap. This renders a much harder, more articulate, and louder, modern voice (the Top Fuel) that hardly sounds anything like a Big Muff any more. Plus, I modded the tone stack to provide a mid hump rather than the traditional BMP mid scoop.

7. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

I currently use the icbm, and it doesn't have that boom that I associate with big muffs. I don't know what your experiences are with muffs, but if all you've ever had was the nycri or black one, that goes a long way to explain why you couldn't get the most desirable tone out of it.

If you turn the mids down on your guitar, than it helps smooth it out quite a bit. Cranking the mids on my guitar makes it get all nasty, which is good at certain points. A cranked, oded amp always help mellow fuzzes out.

Gilmour also has his guitar wired all ****ed up so he can use the neck and bridge pups at the same time. I'm not sure what that would do to his tone. The gilmourish site, while a good place to start, shouldn't be taken as the final word on his rig.

And Iommi used a strat early on with Sabbath, which is probably why its easy to get a sound close to his. I also thought he used a tonebender, which I thought was a cousin of the muff.

Gilmour's sound is a little more complex than that, but a strat > big muff > cranked amp will get you started.

8. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo is my reference tone. I think a strat, Si-based fuzz, digital delay and cranked amp will get you reasonably close. I get close enough (for me) with a McFuzz and Boss DD-20.

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i agree to some extent. the cornish p-2 (cornish's version of the big muff which gilmour uses) is much fatter and clearer, and not as nasal as a standard big muff (at least the ones i've tried).

10. RickB

RickB Member

I have not played an ICBM but I find that the Top Fuel more than gets me there. Sometimes it helps to throw on a compressor before it. I think that one thing to keep in mind is the Gilmour uses a lot of eq pedals as well.

Regardless of how accurate the Top Fuel may be to the Gilmour tone, it is without doubt my favorite dirt pedal. Tons of gain, great mids and cuts through perfect. All with very little noise.

11. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Are you talking about the original, studio version, or the live version? I believe I've read, in several places, that the studio version of the solo was recorded with a Les Paul loaded with P90s.

12. Craise

Craise Member

nah...you're thinking about Another Brick In The Wall Part 2. Which is the Gold Top LP with P90s into the mixing desk.
    Also when trying to get dave's sound, try a EQ after the Big Muff...you'll be
    able to dial in the sound better.
    BTW: I'll be trying to get Dave tix for NYC when they go on sale. He's the only person I'd fly cross country to see. (Atlanta to NYC) Can't wait to see him!!
    When does the new CD come out??
    :D

13. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

DG's live Muff is the Sovtek version modified by Pete Cornish. That said, the P-2 is the sound you're looking for (though he used the G-2 for that solo on Live 8). "Sorrow" live tone as well.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

what about the settings for those Smashing tones, I know that gear is key here, just an idea of the settings your using to support your argument, and how's the Mayo for that Smashing sound?

15. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

March

16. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

The settings really depend on the gear. I know I usually set my sustain at about 3:00 o'clock, volume at or just a hair above unity gain, and tone at about 12:00 o'clock for Pumpkins stuff. The (new) Mayo's got a bit more of a complex, aggressive sound than its predecessor (Mayonaise) did. It does Pumpkins stuff just fine, and I hear a lot of Bush "Machinehead" tone in it, too.

17. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

my old small box rat got me there with a compressor in front.
    add some chorus, delay, reverb and you're there :)

my old rat is getting kind of crusty and looking for it's successor
    I'll have to take a look at the skreddy or euthymia stuff !

I'm also gassing for the MI crunch box, but that's another thread...

18. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Skreddy,

Is it a fact that Billy used a triangle knob on Siamese Dream? I'm just curious and I've never heard the triangle knob or a proper rams head mode. I love the SD tone though...l

19. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I would never presume to know for sure, not having been there with Billy and Butch and the gang. Based on the tone, I would say YES. Also, based on Billy's description of the first Big Muffs he got (in between Gish and Siamese Dream), I think so, too. The tone sounds more like the mid 70's (3-inline-knobs, red graphics) version on Mellon Collie, to me. But of course Billy used a plethora of different noise boxes. The solo in "Mayonaise" sounds to me like Big Muff -> Small Stone -> Fender Blender, for example; and I've heard he used a Maestro Fuzz Tone at times too.

20. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks Skreddy!

Can you describe to me the differences in a the three different muff models: triangle knob, rams head and the colour graphic model?