Coming full circle on the Marshall SV20

I've owned the SV20 head for over a year now, and I think that it is one of the most fun amps I've ever played. It hasn't gotten much use lately because I took ownership of a Two Rock Studio Sig and a Dr Z Maz 18 last year. During the process, I become the type of player who likes to run the amps clean and use pedals for drive. However, over the past few weeks, I've fired up the SV20, run it just into the decent breakup territory and used the volume knob to clean it up.

What a sound, and what fun. I am using one overdrive to boost rather than 3, and it sounds so clear and less muddy. Who else loves their SV20?

Last edited:

Catatafish

Silver Supporting Member
I've been wondering when an SV20 appreciation thread would be created!

I love mine for all my 70s classic rock needs and only pedals I use with it are a Phase 90 and a Wah, with the occasional Blues Driver. I loaded the cab with a Scumback M75. The tone variety is amazing after jumping the channels. One of the few pieces of gear that will probably stay with me for good.

Ranster44

I've owned the SV20 head for over a year now, and I think that it is one of the most fun amps I've ever played. It hasn't gotten much use lately because I took ownership of a Two Rock Studio Sig and a Dr Z Maz 18 last year. During the process, I become the type of player who likes to run the amps clean and use pedals for drive. However, over the past few weeks, I've fired up the SV20, run it just into the decent breakup territory and used the volume knob to clean it up.

What a sound, and what fun. I am using one overdrive to boost rather than 3, and it sounds so clear and less muddy. Who else loves their SV20?

You stack 3 ODs? Seriously? What style(s) of music are you playing?

hpharley90

I've been wondering when an SV20 appreciation thread would be created!

I love mine for all my 70s classic rock needs and only pedals I use with it are a Phase 90 and a Wah, with the occasional Blues Driver. I loaded the cab with a Scumback M75. The tone variety is amazing after jumping the channels. One of the few pieces of gear that will probably stay with me for good.

Where can I get a short cable like your using to jumper inputs?

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Mine arrives tomorrow loaded with vintage glass, as does my Fryette PS2. I had one before and loved it, this time doing it right with PS2 for attenuation/reamping/DI with IRs at home, wide open at gigs with its DI out to Mooer Radar IR loader for PA feed.

Mine arrives tomorrow loaded with vintage glass, as does my Fryette PS2. I had one before and loved it, this time doing it right with PS2 for attenuation/reamping/DI with IRs at home, wide open at gigs with its DI out to Mooer Radar IR loader for PA feed.
My SV20 might kick off my Maz 18 FWIW. I really don't like the drive on the Maz. It is really hairy and I am trying to dial it into a Plexish gain, without much luck. Just prefer the SV20 lately.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
I use a Tungsten Crema Wheat for those "sorta Marshally" tones. It's fun to have one like that around.

mallcorn

That's the problem with the SV20, it likes any and all overdrive pedals. I'm on my 3rd SV20 (3rd time is a charm...). I found myself running several ODs in front of it, OCDv1, Revival Drive, and so on. On this one, I just hit it with a Supa-Boost or a Kaluna Overdrive (hi-gain version) here and there but never together. One thing I am doing at the moment is putting a pair of G12M Heritage (EVH) greenbacks in a StoneAge 2x12c. The cab will top out at 40~50watts but in my head I have always wanted to try this as I have always dug the sound of the EVH 4x12 cabs. Last week I picked up a 4x12 BHW (w/G12H30 Heritage 55hz) to go with my 1959HW and the SV20 sounds pretty awesome on that cab. To be a "on the cheap" build amp, it really hits the sweet spot...

ken374

Thought the Maz was kinda horrible at store levels my old blues deluxe sounded better lol

Axe-Man

That is a lot of extra dirt to get the amp cooking!

Now, I personally do use two pedal if needed. I boost a tube pedal which is basically set like a classic high gain tube amp preamp (fat and open so it tightens) which is then run into a totally clean amp. This is a high gain setup.

The moment I have an amp in the ‘interested’ zone I only ever use a single pedal to goose it if needed.

Always on Timmy for edge of breakup > Prince of Tone low gain > Prince of Tone boost

I didn't think 3 overdrives was that excessive??

I'm old. I think two is excessive. But I know I am in the minority on this.

What style(s) of music do you play?
Rock, country, blues, praise and worship mostly

I only use that many drives with the amp set clean. The Timmy is barely any gain at all, and with the first POT, I’m at tube screamer territory, and then the last POT just gooses everyone into a nice drive.

I just prefer the sound of multiple stacked drives using lower levels of gain to a single pedal with more gain.

Sloppyfingers

I got mine shortly after they were released, and I'm especially loving it right now..Normally I'm a LP and a higher gain dude, but just this past week I've picked up my Strat, and digging that edge of break up Blues Rock tone that I've been getting out of mine..Just my barely on Metropolous Supa boost, and my amp on an attenuator. Volume on amp down for bedroom rocking out..I've been working on some funk video lessons, and this amp does that well too. Compressor, phaser, and same edge of break up.,Great amp!

Trending Topics