Coming to grips with selling my amps

Shades of Blue

Supporting Member
For those who have sold your amps and have gone all in on modeling, how difficult was it for you to make the decision and cope with it?

I’m finding that I just can’t enjoy my amps at home anymore. The sound of Helix is just so much better at lower volumes and I feel that my amps are a novelty at this point. If I gig again, it will be with Helix without a doubt anyways.

I just seem to have a bigger emotional attachments to amps than guitars. It’s strange lol. Do you miss your amps?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
I agree, there are few tube amps that sound great at really low level home playing.. I use a Mini 101 at home with my pedalboard.. It is all analog, not digital and it sounds great at low volumes with my pedals..
For live, I tried a Kemper for a while with good profiles.. Went back 1 gig to my tube amps... never went back to the Kemper.....live is a different gig.... I’d use the Quilter live before I ever went back to the Kemper...

Last edited:

MartinC

With almost all of my gear, if I am no longer using it, I move it on ... usually to fund something else. Life is too short to not experience different things ... imagine getting to the end of your playing days and realising that you surrounded yourself with gear that you didn't actually play, rather than gear that you did and gear that opened up new possibilities/ideas

I have two exceptions:
  • My first good electric guitar, which has been with be since 1981 ... and which isn't worth a great deal on the 2nd hand market
  • My only acoustic guitar ... I've been in a phase for quite some time now (years) where I don't get too much out of playing acoustic ... but there is a chance that might change at some point

York Audio

Vendor
90% of the time I use modelers and love every second of it. It sounds great, feels inspiring, records like a dream, limitless tonal options, and I can play for hours on end without getting a headache... BUT, for the other 10% of the time, cranking up a real amp loud enough to shake the walls and weigh on your conscience feels pretty invigorating. It reminds you of how you felt playing guitar as a kid.

I think it takes one to appreciate the other, and they’re both great. Play your modeler, but don’t get rid of ALL of your real amps.

Gasp100

Supporting Member
I'm testing a Suhr RL-IR with a real amp now and man I don't see how people can say modelers sound or feel as good... and I've been doing the digital thing for a LONG TIME (gigging and recording).
Yes, it's super convenient to have an all in one with tuner, tons of FX, many amp + cab choices. But I dial my stuff in pretty consistently on all gear and I honestly feel like I'm getting the best DI tones and even headphones tones with real amp + RL-IR.
I do have a small pedalboard, but at home I almost always just play guitar -> amp, no FX, headstock tuner.
I'm using a Synergy SYN-30 which also has a great analog cab simulated DI out so for gigs I have a killer backline amp (with any style module I choose) and extremely simple, great sounding DI feed to the board no mic.
The Suhr RL-IR is strictly for home use, recording, silent playing through headphones.
Before you unload that Two Rock I would at least consider trying a Suhr RL-IR or similar out!
Go head to head and see which is more tonally satisfying and has the best feel under the fingers. Two Rock or Helix?
If you crave and need "all that other stuff" and tons of options, then the Helix is the winner already.
But if you are deep into the nuances of amps there are options out there!
I guess a difference is that I'm steadily gigging so that is my main focus on gear, home usage second (I could happily use SGear no problems).
And live a good tube amp as backline at moderate volume with a cooking band (and PA support without having to even worry about a mic) is freaking awesome.
Probably zero chance you can get the the Helix to respond like a Two Rock in the room at volume, just sayin... :)

dk_ace

I still have a few amps.
But they don't get used much
Same for me.

I’ve moved one amp that I wish I could have held onto. The rest, don’t miss them at all including the ones I ditched after switching to modeling rigs.

The one that I regret is bittersweet. In trade, I got a strat that has been unequaled by every other strat I’ve played in the years since then. Still miss that amp though, regardless of how ridiculously impractical it is for today’s gigging environment.

If you really love it and you think you’ll miss it, find a way to keep it. If a year from now you haven’t used it and don’t care about it anymore,
move it then.

D

LaXu

I've gone full circle. I had a sweet Axe-Fx Standard/Axe-Fx 2 based rig for nearly 9 or 10 years, now I have a couple of tube amps and Line6 Helix for effects. When I can play louder even at home (during daytime), I use my tube amps through guitar cabs. When I need to play quiet, I use the digital stuff and headphones (like late in the evening). It has nothing to do with the digital modeling itself but the output of FRFR (miced amp sound) vs guitar cab ("cab in the room".

I also have a good loadbox and have had my amps setup so I can toggle between audio from studio monitors + cab sims vs guitar speakers. Even when both are set to the same volume level with a decibel meter, there is a big difference in the sound produced. I prefer the sound of the real cabs. Real amp with loadbox vs digital modeler is not a significant difference IMO.

If you can afford to keep an amp, keep one and dig it out at times and compare. I don't regret selling the amps I had before my Axe-Fx rig (Diezel Einstein and Egnater Tourmaster) because despite being good amps they had their own issues. Diezel did not have a practical channel setup (one channel that does a lot of things well but has to be set to a single clean, crunch or high gain sound, second channel that only does high gain leads) and the Egnater was immensely versatile but very heavy to move around.

John Quinn

I just seem to have a bigger emotional attachments to amps than guitars. It’s strange lol. Do you miss your amps?
I didn't sell all my amplifiers when I started using the Helix - I kept the mainstays of my music life (Vox AC30, MusicMan RD112). The weird thing is I just had them serviced and realized I haven't turned them on for 3 years. I may sell them - but it would take something unusual for me to do so - such as downsizing or a health issue.

John Mark Painter

Supporting Member
My best gear strategy is to aquire and like gear that is a little janky and screwed up so it isn’t too valuable :)

My mainstay guitars are kind of ugly non original finish Frankenstein guitars and my main amps are kits or highly modded.

Shades of Blue

Supporting Member
I'm testing a Suhr RL-IR with a real amp now and man I don't see how people can say modelers sound or feel as good... and I've been doing the digital thing for a LONG TIME (gigging and recording).
Yes, it's super convenient to have an all in one with tuner, tons of FX, many amp + cab choices. But I dial my stuff in pretty consistently on all gear and I honestly feel like I'm getting the best DI tones and even headphones tones with real amp + RL-IR.
I do have a small pedalboard, but at home I almost always just play guitar -> amp, no FX, headstock tuner.
I'm using a Synergy SYN-30 which also has a great analog cab simulated DI out so for gigs I have a killer backline amp (with any style module I choose) and extremely simple, great sounding DI feed to the board no mic.
The Suhr RL-IR is strictly for home use, recording, silent playing through headphones.
Before you unload that Two Rock I would at least consider trying a Suhr RL-IR or similar out!
Go head to head and see which is more tonally satisfying and has the best feel under the fingers. Two Rock or Helix?
If you crave and need "all that other stuff" and tons of options, then the Helix is the winner already.
But if you are deep into the nuances of amps there are options out there!
I guess a difference is that I'm steadily gigging so that is my main focus on gear, home usage second (I could happily use SGear no problems).
And live a good tube amp as backline at moderate volume with a cooking band (and PA support without having to even worry about a mic) is freaking awesome.
Probably zero chance you can get the the Helix to respond like a Two Rock in the room at volume, just sayin... :)
I found that when I plugged in my amps to a Suhr Reactive Load IR, the sound that I got wasn't much different than what I was getting from Helix. Now, this is considering that the same IR is being used. I don't like Helix cabs. Actually, I found Helix to sound better using the Litigator model and a Creamback IR from Suhr than using the Two Rock. It just felt and reacted better. Where the amp sounded better though was for cleans. However, it isn't like the Helix didn't sound good, just really different. Once I put gain on things, Helix was so much easier to dial in than the amp quite honestly.

However, I will never say that amps don't sound and feel better at louder volumes. I just feel that for my uses at home, it is like keeping the Ferrari parked in the garage while I'm driving the Jeep around town. Sure, I can take the Ferrari out occasionally, but I can't get it past 60-70mph.

metropolis_4

I was a huge tube amp snob for a long time. I don't miss them at all and would never go back.

Every once in a while I buy an amp thinking maybe I want to go back. And every single time I do it just reminds me how much more I love my digital gear, and I end up getting rid of it again. I find the overall tones I am able to produce so much better in my digital gear than in tube amps. Not because any single one of those sounds is that much better than what I could get out of a tube amp, but because the ability to quickly access so many tones allows me to better sculpt the exact tones I want for different sections of the same songs. So I find I don't have to compromise as much as I used to when I was using tube amps.

With tube amps there was always some level of compromise somewhere. Some tones would be killer, and others would be good enough to get by. I'd be using my Bad Cat Cub II and getting some killer tones for the country songs, and then something like a Metallica song would come up and I'd have to just do the best I could to get a close enough tone to make it work.

Almost every time it comes down to is something like "Yeah, this Deluxe Reverb tube amp sounds amazing in the verse of this song! Now for the chorus I need something that sounds more like an AC15... oh... and this next song is really more of a Mesa thing... :(". And then the amp goes in the closet and the digital rig comes back out and saves the day.

I've got an amp collecting dust in a closet right now waiting to be sold!

ejecta

Supporting Member
Its a subjective thing and I’m sure your living space may play a big roll of what you can use to level you want to. So with that said.... I’ve gone all digital a couple of times with selling all my amps. I will not ever make that mistake again.

I play my amps way more than I do my modeling rig and I by no means play stupid loud. They feel and sound more to my liking than playing through a digital simulation into full range speakers which in all honesty when I do need to play that rig... it needs to be at least as loud as I play my amps to be closer to what I consider enjoyable.

Last edited: