Comments on G&L Dual Fulcrum trem?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NoahL, Jul 23, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

Just curious what you guys think.

2. NoahL

NoahL Member

P.S.: This isn't a troll -- I'm thinking of getting one of the Tribute S-500s.

3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I think it's great... far, far superior IMO to the Fender trems, it stays in tune and works just fine.

4. aquadog

aquadog Member

It's stiffer than the average fender trem so it takes a bit of getting used to, but the bar can go in either direction to raise or lower pitch and it stays in tune incredibly well. All the guitars I've played with them had great sustain as well

5. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I personally like them better than a fender, they respond "quicker" since they are on the same plane with the body where a fender most people set them at 20 degree pitch or so, and seem to hold their tuning better

6. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

If you want divebomb-type Whammy action, :RoCkIn it's not a good fit for you.
    But if light-medium vibrato in either direction is your goal, I can't think of a better Low-cost solution.

I have the S-500 Premium Legacy Tribute, and it is a wonderful guitar. Stays in tune, no matter how much you use/abuse it, and the guitar sounds great. Just make sure you give those new strings a good tug while you tune them initially. Get it to pitch, tug it, then check it again. Do this until it doesn't drop out of tune anymore. Sometimes, mine doesn't even need tuning when it's been packed away untouched for a week. I still tune it, of course, but it's nice to have a tuning system be so reliable.

I swapped out the bridge pup for a Seymore Duncan JB Jr., as I wanted a humbucker sound. :JAM

The trem bar sits a little closer to the body than I like, so I put it in a vice at the angle and bent it out a little bit. :worried It took a little tweaking, but it's right where I need it now. And, I can have more dramatic trem now, if I want it. :BOUNCE

One thing: If you're used to noiseless pickups, this guitar will annoy the Hell outta you. :puh I shielded the electronics cavity, and that helped a bit. :) Having the SD in the bridge also helped. It's dead quiet there, and of course in positions 2 and 4.

All things considered, the tuning system Kills a standard Strat. The bridge feels thick, beefy, and stable. Once you get it setup, it plays like an $900 Strat. And the best part is, it'll only cost you about $400, initially (I paid $375 w/ gig bag), so you can mod it to your heart's content without feeling like your screwing with an expensive piece of vintage history. Great guitar. :AOK

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I'm not crazy about the angle of the bar or having to deal with the set screw, but the trem system is really solid. -E

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a pretty cool Legacy for a while, I'm too used to Fender's it always felt foriegn to me plus it used to creak like an old guy with bad knees, it bugged the crap out of me.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I have two Legacy's. I love the feel and it stays in tune fine. It is also easy to set up. Doesn't feel like it was designed for hard-core dive bombs.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

There's been several iterations of it, but I can tell you that the mid 2000's USA version is impeccable. I have 2 Comanche D-Fs, and they are gorgeous.
    I don't know how much care goes into the installation of the USA versus the Tribute versions, but I have found more benefit from stepping up, Tribute to US G + L than you'd get going from MIM to MIA Fenders, that is for sure.

The trem block on the USA Comanche is zinc, which surprised me, but when I replaced one block with steel, the sound was different not better. Never found that to be true on any other Callaham upgrade, all the others were medium to large improvements.

See if you can find a used USA one; I'm not finding really nice Tributes.

Bubbanov

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I think it is a great bridge. Two points of contact makes sense, no sharp edges, holds tune well, good tone. What's not to like?

12. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

I've owned & used G&L Dual Fulcrum Trems since1983. Used 'em hard. They work great, are easy to adjust and fun to play. Not going to give you "dove bomb-ability" but that's not an issue for me.

13. roadhog96

roadhog96 Member

I have a G&L Tribute S-500 w/Dual Fulcrum Trem. It works fine but I rarely ever use it. I installed a trem lock that can be released quickly with a thumb wheel if needed, the rest of the time it stays locked. I do a lot of string bending and bending works better with a hardtail setup. The alternative is a trem locking device. I looked at a few and ended up choosing this one.
    http://www.freelok.com/main.htm.

14. alivegy

alivegy Member

I normally don't use the bar with mine, but I don't really have any tuning issues with the guitar and I play hard. The bridge plate hovers off of the body of the guitar about .25 of an inch and it's nice having the plate parallel with the body. This setup makes it difficult to hardtail the guitar if you decided to do that down the line as it doesn't work as well as a vintage fender bridge for that. The saddles are chrome plated bronze and I've been tempted to swap them out for some stainless steal saddles to see if it were any different, just for fun. I had heard that the later tremblocks are made out of steel and not zinc, but I'm not sure what mine is.

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I like the dual fulcrum on my early '90s Legacy. It is a real resonant guitar and I attribute some of that to the bridge.

I once had a Strat guy do some work on it and he didn't like how you couldn't adjust the front of the bridge flush against the body like you can on a Fender. However, I've never had a problem getting a great sound. It's also easy to block and to add and remove springs.

Has anyone dive-bombed since 1991?