Comp Cut mode in FD3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fred Shredstone, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Fred Shredstone

Fred Shredstone Member

For my lead tone I've been using the black FD3 jacked into a J Rockett .45 pedal. Had been using the 90's mode, but last night I decided to try it in comp cut mode. Dang! Sounds sooooo much better that way; more open, dynamic, and big compared to 90's mode. Don't know why it took me so long to figure that out, but just had to share. Happy camper.

2. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

It's the only reason I keep my FD2.
    It's the best Boost I've ever heard in a band setting with my stuff. LP into CC into 2204 is magical.

Fred Shredstone likes this.
  3. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

How you liking the .45? I tried one yesterday and am thinking about picking it up for the vintage tone more than the AC/DC sound.

4. Fred Shredstone

Fred Shredstone Member

Its a keeper for me. Great old-school Marshall grind, and works with HB or single coils. Does not get shrill or bright even with a tele. Nice, darkish, lower gain but still grindy tones. The other pedal I've owned that does this really well is the Distortron, but I didn't like the weird sideways layout of that pedal. J Rockett has the top mounted jacks, which works on my board.

Michigan guitar likes this.
  5. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

Comp cut was the only mode I liked on the FD3. The other modes were too dark and I eventually sold it. I have an FD2 that does the comp cut.

I agree that is an incredible boost/overdrive tone.

6. srmd22

srmd22 Supporting Member

Which setting sort of depends on how your amp and guitar are set up, but yeah, the comp cut on the FD pedals is fantastic, no doubt.

7. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

The Fulltone 2B boost, with the dynamics knob, supposedly does this very well in a small pedal format.

8. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

I would disagree with this statement. Don't get me wrong the 2B boost is a great boost. It sounds fantastic! It has a very nice glassy clean tone, with little colouration. And the dynamics knob is very useful.

Comp cut is a different beast; it is not a purely clean boost, in that there is some colouration.