Comp (?): Just add sustain keep complexity

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dankayaker, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

The only thing my pedal board lacks (that I need) is something that keeps the chime and complexity of the clean channel of my amp in tact but just adds a slight volume boost & sustain boost . . ..I don't want anything changing otherwise . . .too be used as a clean to slightly hairy solo tone. It would be great if it reatined dynamics also (although I know a compressor ussually does the opposite). Could I be looking for a Honey Bee or Pale Green compressor ?

Already Tried:
    Keeley
    Maxon
    Fatboost
    Retrosonic
    Boss
    MXR
    AC Booster
    Tim/Timmy
    AC Booster . . . . . and many . . .many others.

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The Keeley with the 'sustain' turned down didn't do that for you?

Look into that Durham Sex Drive or maybe some other clean boosts.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Have you tried the Zendrive?

Ok, If you wanna keep it clean then a Demeter compulator is a great pedal that keeps the sustain and chime. Also the CMatmods script dyna comp clone is good for that.

4. A440

A440 Member

a compessor set for minimal squish can do this..have u tried the barber tone press? the blend control is key for what you're describing.

also, a clean boost like an RC Booster, Zoom Power Driver, or even a COT50 at low gain can do this.

I'd also like to try out the demeter compulator or a janglebox comp

5. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

I use a HI-Fi mod MXR Dyna w/ dying battery mod for what you describe. FX Doctor did the mod and it sounds very good. I sold my Keeley for keeping the MXR... a much cleaner and real tone, no coloring as with the Keeley.

Used MXR: $50
    2 mod's: $35
    Kick ass comp that will deliver... Priceless

GG

6. dankayaker

I tried the Tone Press, AC Booster . . . . not exactly what I wanted, the Jangle Box looks interesting . . .I wonder if it's transparent . . the clips I've heard were anything but. Have not tried the ZenDrive . . I'm reluctant to buy more OD's unless they are specifically low gain, retain the bottom end ad are extremely dynamic/touch sensitive. Is that a ZenDrive ?

thanks guys

7. billygoat

billygoat Member

Diamond Compressor. No question

8. A440

A440 Member

have u tried the RC boost? MUCH diff vocing than the AC IMO.

I'm surprised you didn't have good results with the Fulltone Fat Boost.

What type of amp are you using ? can you provide a tone reference?

sounds like you're looking for a clean boost, or a comp without much squishiness :)

9. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

I just got a Diamond Compressor last weekend. I too was looking for the same thing. I usually just used my Keeley Compressor here and there, but I have not been able to turn the Diamond off. It is more like a studio compressor than a Ross-style. If you learn how the eq works, the thing does a magnificent job of NOT changing your tone. For $180 shipped, it pretty much rules.

--Jason

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

You said you tried Maxon. Was that the CP101 or the CP9+ Pro? I would understand why the former wouldn't do the trick, but based on your goals I would think the newer 9-series pedal could be ideal.

- DB

11. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

i use a ross like that.. but it does add a little squish...
    analog man puts the attack knob on his compressors... you can turn it all the way up to where you get no lag in the squish time... so you get all the benefits of the compressor without the squish!
    Jon

12. dankayaker

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

I have tried the RC booster and perhaps it was my rig at the time, but it just did nothing for me but boost the highs.

My set-up now is an Am. Dlx. Strat or McInturff into one of the new TB Planet waves tuners - Landgraff DO - Crunch Box - Memory Lane (receiving tonight) then into a GainStar 15. Pretty slim setup. I'll look into the MXR mods and the Diamond.

13. ari

ari Member

Boss CS-3 w/ Monte Allums opto mod is also affordable and transparent. If you just want sustain, you can turn the attack knob clock wise and get all the dynamics from your attack back. That said, I'm pretty impressed with how natural the compressed attack sounds also -- it's compressed without sounding compressed.

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

ari

14. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty thrilled with my new Pine Green Compressor.

It's very transparent, dead quiet, and sounds great.

Also pricey - $270 plus shipping.

Dana

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I love my Diamond Compressor. Very transparent and with the comp knob set very low (like 8:00), can do what you want.

I do want to try the monte allums opto mod, though

16. tocs100

tocs100 Member

No, that uses a dbx 10:1 comp: too squishy for clean solos. Good eq is the best; but for the quickest fix, use a comp with a dry/effect blend knob: Guyatone or Barber. :YinYang

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+1 ... I just got mine in earlier today, and it certainly seems like it would fit the bill for what you're looking for: adding sustain while keeping the complexity. Retains dynamics better than I thought a compressor could; with a moderate amount of compression I thought the dynamics of my Honey Bee would be killed, but that was absolutely not the case.

-Ben

18. VanStone

VanStone Member

I was looking for the same thing. The Barber Tone Press does the job admirably.

V

19. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

+1 for the Tone Press
    for a clean boost, you might also want to check out the PedalworX McSqueeze (it's a nice sounding Orange Squeezer type compressor, but it's also a great clean boost). My favorite boost right now. In fact, for close to what you'd pay for some of the more expensive pedals, you get the option of 2 different style compressors or a compressor and a clean boost.

Brett

20. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I use my Keeley comp for exactly what you are describing. I just keep the sustain back to about 8 o'clock or so and I am able to preserve my tone and most of my attack dynamics. For slide, I bump it up to a little past 9 o'clock. I now find myself using more just for slide, but for about 2 years, I couldn't turn the Keeley off.