Comp+ volume pedal in effects loop (or post power amp on a non master volume amp)

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
I use a compressor after overdrives to bring quiet parts up in level and balance out the overall output of my various gain stages. I then use a volume pedal to control the master volume, without affecting the gain...

I use these devices into a cranked up non master volume fender deluxe reverb, usually set to 8.

Since my overall gain staging also involves pushing the amp into pre and power tube saturation, I am wondering if I'll get closer to what I'm going for by sending my signal from guitar > OD > Amp and then take a line out from between the power amp and speaker, and then put my compressor, volume pedal and then modulation effects POST power amp?

Basically creating an FX loop (using somethin like a Fryette power station) and then putting a comp / volume pedal there....allowing my Overdrives to push the pre/power section, then compress to balance overal volume of delicate and heavy parts, then a volume pedal to have master volume level control that doesn't affect the saturation of the pre and power amp?

Thoughts?

WillLane

I am not familiar with the Fryette unit. Does it bring down the powered output from the power amp to a guitar-level signal, then re-amplifies the return signal? If so, try it. Although you will be compressing compression.

Are you doing mic'd gigs? Compression at that point may insult your sound guy. :rolleyes2:

Haunting Mids

You should try a passive one-knobber called the EWS Subtle Volume Control.
It really works great so as to tame a loud amp like a hotrod by plugging it the effects loop.
It preserves the way your amp is working and just drops things down without almost any loss.
A cheap solution too, around 60$.
I sold tons of them when I was salesman, quite lately...

phazersonstun

A comp after the amps preamp will sound quite different than before it. You may like it, you may not. Volume pedal in the "fx loop" to control master volume won't be a problem. It will function just fine there.

If you're using pre & poweramp breakup from the amp as part of your sound however, be prepared that by moving the volume pedal post preamp will change that gain staging relationship somewhat when pulling the pedal down.
May not be a big deal.

I think you'll find when the volume pedal is in front of the amp & down some you'll be hitting the preamp less hard vs hitting the power amp less hard if it was in the fx loop.

Can't hurt to experiment.

Blues Lyne

A comp after the amps preamp will sound quite different than before it. You may like it, you may not. Volume pedal in the "fx loop" to control master volume won't be a problem. It will function just fine there.

If you're using pre & poweramp breakup from the amp as part of your sound however, be prepared that by moving the volume pedal post preamp will change that gain staging relationship somewhat when pulling the pedal down.
May not be a big deal.

I think you'll find when the volume pedal is in front of the amp & down some you'll be hitting the preamp less hard vs hitting the power amp less hard if it was in the fx loop.

Can't hurt to experiment.
He's talking about putting the volume pedal post power amp. It could potentially effect speaker breakup, but shouldn't have an effect on pre amp/power amp gain staging. It should be similar to having an attenuator but with the ability to vary attenuation with a rocker pedal.

@mikoo69 What you are talking about should work. If you are already pushing your amp to where the power amp is breaking up, it seems like you would already have some compression happening in the amp. But, if it's not enough you could try a compressor after the amp. It seems like you would want something that isn't going to squash things too badly. Maybe an optical compressor rather than a dyna comp/ross style.

There could be some noise issues with having a comp after the amp, but in recording or live sound compression is often added after the amp, so you'd just have to try it and see.

You could also skip the comp and work the volume pedal to even out the clean and dirty sounds.

beerijuana

"...fender deluxe reverb..."

"...from between the power amp and speaker..."

You'll probably fry the OT on the DR and take the pedals with it. Speaker outputs aren't line level, pedal outputs won't drive speakers. I would suggest you don't try this.

You'll probably fry the OT on the DR and take the pedals with it. Speaker outputs aren't line level, pedal outputs won't drive speakers. I would suggest you don't try this.
he specifically mentionned using a load and second power amp

Blues Lyne

The Fryette Power Station is essentially an attenuator followed by a 50 watt power amp. It allows you to attenuate the signal down so that it can be run through effects post amp, and then re-amp the signal and send it to the speakers. It not only allows you to attenuate the volume of a larger amp, but it allows you to take a smaller amp, say 14 watts, and then amplify it with a 50 watt power amp so it's louder than it could be on its own. Pretty cool device.

Trending Topics