• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Compact Compressors - Free the tone, Effectrode, Dionosaurel, Keeley, Suhr?

Matts Tone

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a compressor that is a little compact for my small pedalboard - this sadly rules out the Origin Effects Cali 76.

Not really looking for a Dyna comp pedal, more of a tone enhancer, studio style compressor.

I like the look & the sound clips of the Effectrode PC-2A & is the maximum size I'd want the pedal to be.

The Free the tone silky comp - is a pedal that has been on my radar for a while but have not seen many comments about it, the limited clips I've heard do sound good though. Any of you guys ever tried the Free the tone comp?

Dinosaurel Opti comp looks like a good studio style compressor, as does the Keeley GC-2 & the Suhr Koji comp.

Thanks all for your time.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Pretty well any of the ones listed sound good. One suggestion I have is to look for one with a mix control (like the Koji). That said if space is an issue I'd recommend checking out the Xotic SP, it sounds good and is a small enclosure, has a blend and is no fuss.

DryBones

The Effectrode is pure magic. Simple and joust makes everything sound better. Used my last in chain.

Matts Tone

Forgot to say I've previously owned the Xotic SP compressor, Diamond, MP Forest Green comp/sustainer, BJFE Pine Green comp, Analogman mini bi-comp.

To be fair they all have been quite good. But have to say out of the compact comps I've tried the BJFE Pine green comp & Diamond comp were my favourites.

Also just put it in context of the music equipment I use, I play through Fender Tele's & Fender blackface type amp.

I could go back to one of those comps I've previously owned but I have to admit the Effectrode PC-2A, Free The Tone silky comp, & Keeley GC-2 have my interest.

As previously mentioned would love to hear peoples comments on the Free The Tone silky comp as there doesn't seem to be many comments on this particular pedal.

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
Someone here recommended the Suhr and it hit all the marks for my needs.

Matts Tone

Thanks guys for your comments - I'm actually now looking at the Empress compressor, Keeley GC-2 & Pro, & the Carl Martin signature Andy Timmons version.

The Carl Marton compressor Andy Timmons signature could be cool but that isn't released untill late August or at least what Carl Martin company told me. I might wait another month to make up my mind.

The Empress & Keeley compressors also are very appealing - there's the tweakability of the Empress & the Keeley Pro. If I want something simpilar the GC-2 could be just the ticket!

The Effectrode PC-2A looked appealing but as I'm wanting to power any pedal through a Voodoo Lab pedal power 2, I believe the Effectrode requires it's own mains adaptor, so that's abit of a draw back for me.

qyetyme

Another one in an MXRish size that is worth a look/listen and often goes unconsidered is the Earthquaker Devices Warden.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Gold Supporting Member
I'm interested too. I really like the EHX Black Finger but it's big and needs to run on AC. Anyone know any smaller pedals that sound similar or is the high volt AC what makes it sound so good?

Matts Tone

Thanks guys- have been thinking some more, read up on compressors & having gone on website: http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

I've decided what I'm actually after is an optical compressor.

Actually a couple of compressors I've owned in the past: Diamond compressor & BJFE Pine Green compressor have been my favorites.

Apart of me still thinks the Keeley GC-2 & Empress compressor would be cool.

But I definitely prefer tone enhancer compressors so can see me purchasing a Diamond or BJFE again.

Trending Topics