Compact JTM45 head options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearscrubs, Aug 15, 2019.

1. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I'm looking for a small-ish JTM45 head. Who makes one?

Preferred features:
    Tube rectifier
    PPIMV or power scaling

Would love to keep it under $1000, but up to maybe $1500.

Thanks.

2. amptex

amptex Member

Tyler JT46

gearscrubs likes this.
  3. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

• Tyler JT46
    • Granger M45 Classic
    • Victory V40 The Duchess
    • Germino Classic 45 (in the 20" head shell)

If you want to go budget, the Tyler JT46 is a decent amp and you can probably find one for about $1000 used.

But... you can find a used Germino Classic 45 for under $1500. Most likely it will have the larger head shell, so you will need to order the 20" head shell from him for an extra $275 shipped to fit the 'compact' requirement.

I've owned both the Germino and the Tyler and the Germino is in a different class. The build and components are much better. Master volume implementation in the Germino is also more transparent. If you don't mind the extra work, the Germino is definitely worth it over the Tyler. That said the, Tyler served me very well until I upgraded and I received plenty of compliments on my tone using the Tyler. It's not a bad amp, but the Germino is better. I'd highly recommend going with the Germino from the start. UNLESS you need an effects loop. You can find JT46's with an effects loop, but you wont find that on a Germino.

A third option is a Victory V40 The Duchess if you want a JTM45 in a truly compact lunchbox type head. These seem like a great compact option and I almost bought one before I found my Germino. It checks all the boxes and more. Compact, master volume, effects loop, even has reverb, mid boost and a voicing switch for Fender cleans. I'd still love to try one of these. Seems like it would be a great amp for small gigs and it's only $1239 brand new.

A fourth option is the Granger. Seems like a great budget option. I've only heard good things. He's probably on the level with Tyler or maybe better since he's been building longer and more. A brand new M45 will come in at $1500.

Here's my Germino on top of a 1x12"
    [​IMG]

I bought it for $1000 in a large white shell and moved it to his 20" shell. Total cost in $1275, but I waited years to find one for $1000. They pop up frequently in the $1300 - $1500 range.

[​IMG]

And here's my old JT46
    [​IMG]

So my opinion, if you want a pure JTM 45 that is an accurate replication of the real amps from the 60's, look for a used Germino. If you want a compact JTM 45 (ish) amp with all the modern bells and whistles, go with the Victory.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    timmers, biffoz, QRSS and 3 others like this.
  4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Id sure look for used Germino or Park, Old metro (Metro built) or Wallace and get a compact headshell.

The reissues aren't bad either (2245 just not totally accurate..more like a low powered bass spec JMP) and they can be had used for descent and get a small shell.

gearscrubs and JoeB63 like this.
  5. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

Victory Sheriff, 22 or 44

gearscrubs likes this.
  6. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Not sure if this counts, but a vintage Traynor YBA-1 can be had for under $1k no problem. Silver trim models don't have the tube rectifier, unfortunately. :dunno

[​IMG]

QRSS and gearscrubs like this.
  7. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

For a cheap but compromised solution; THD Bivalve, use one or two KT66s depending on volume needs ... $700.

gearscrubs likes this.
  8. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Li’l Dawg has a JTM 45 and JTM 50 lunch box head listed on his Price List page http://www.littledawgamps.com/prices/

I don’t see any other info about them on his website but an email to Jim will get a quick response to your questions.

Ape2000, gearscrubs and Gallery like this.
  9. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

I haven’t tried one, but I’ve been tempted to order one of these from Ceriatone. It’s in your price range, I think they will add a master volume if you want and if they don’t offer a smaller head shell you could order just the chassis and get one from Mojotone.

http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-jtm45/

gearscrubs and JoeB63 like this.
  10. RodR

RodR Member

Look into the Dr. Z Route 66

Ape2000, Crimson Queen and gearscrubs like this.
  11. gulliver

I've noticed that some of these amps don't have KT-66 tubes. Shouldn't that be a requirement for this tone?

Geeze likes this.
  12. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

This Avatar 45 and 2x12" cab cost me $700 used! The amp is a slightly modified JTM45 and sounds great. It's got a PPIVM and foot switches between the bright channel, normal channel or runs them together in parallel. Unfortunately, they're no selling these any more.
    I believe the head is 20" wide and weighs less than 30 pounds.

[​IMG]

KT66 power tubes!

[​IMG]

I often use it with a 1x12" cab that has a Scumnico in it and also weighs less than 30 pounds.

[​IMG]

I also had a matching Mojotone lightweight 2x12" cab made for it and put Scumback S75-PVC alnicos in it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  13. big mike

Overblown.
    Not to many accurate KT66 tube choices IMO.
    The gold lions are supposed to be decent. The Shuanangs have a loose low end.
    The Tungsols are supposedly a 6L6 in a KT bottle.
    As long s you have the mix resistors, tone stack and voltages correct (with filtering) 6L6 or 5881 is close enough. Depending on plate voltage.

gearscrubs and RAG7890 like this.
  14. gulliver

I recently acquired a TAD KT66 in an emporium tube bundle. I was quite mind-blown when I put it in my Bivalve, but I'll have to A/B compare with various EL34s and 6L6s to challenge your point. To me, it seemed way cleaner with a really cool flick at the attach.

pete12string likes this.
  15. big mike

Give it a shot, we all hear things differently. I was very underwhelmed by most of the KT66's offerings. I also prefer JMP spec EL34 or 6550's to JTM models anyway.

The real test would be comparing them to the original GEC's. Which are expensive and hard to find.

RAG7890 likes this.
  16. gulliver

I tested the differences tonight, one tube within the THD Bivalve. It can take two tubes but I only have one KT66. This amp can slam the power tube(s) pretty good, that's its thing. I was using a superstrat PAF bridge pickup for Marshally medium-to-medium/high gain tones.

• =C= 6L6 - these sound great in the THD Univalve for single coil tones, but I don't like them for heavier tones. Sounds kind of like an older, generic, Peavey distortion tone.
    • Svetlana EL34 - Sounds good and Marshally, with mid-focus, like a JCM800.
    • TAD KT66 - My favorite, flatter and smoother in the mids, kind of splashy with a reed-like quality. Feels slightly more vintage than the EL34, like going back 10 years in tone ... but not in a lo-fi kind of way.

If I was going for a JTM tone beyond the Bivalve, yes, I would go KT66.

Geeze likes this.
  17. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've got one old Genelex KT66. I should buy a Bivalve or Univalve to put it in!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  18. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Do you know if they are an exact fit?

19. big mike

Small sample size
    And not a jtm45

20. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

MVs on JTM45s......noooooooooooooooo...............