Compact MIDI foot controller WITH expression pedal?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Promit, May 31, 2015.

1. Promit

Promit Member

I want a compact - and ideally inexpensive - MIDI foot controller that can run Axe, 11r, etc. It needs to have at least a couple PC buttons and then one CC expression pedal. I want something that is a single unit, and fairly compact. Half of an FCB1010 would be absolutely perfect. Right now all I can find are button arrays without the expression, or giant boards that take up too much space. Something closer to 12" wide would be perfect. Suggest me a goldilocks?

(No, I will not add an extra expression pedal on the side. I want an integrated control.)

2. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

Best and cheapest Midi controllers i know have the option to add a expression pedal. My favorite one was the Moog Multi-Pedal MP-201. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I use a Roland GR-20 for those functions with my KPA. But the expression pedal only sends CC#4 or CC#7.

4. prinspatrick

prinspatrick Member

Roland FC-200 and FC-300

5. TimH

TimH Member

twice as long as he asked for....

6. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

Line 6 FBV shortboard or Express MkII?

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Those don't actually do MIDI without a POD attached.

prinspatrick likes this.
  8. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

9. Pickerman

Pickerman Supporting Member

You need a liquid foot+ mini. It measures less than 12" wide, and less than 6" deep with a height that's even with the average pedal. It's a little pricey at $420 (on sale) direct, but it is POWERFUL, and has 2 expression pedal inputs! You could plug in an expression pedal in input one, and plug in a two-button external switch into the second input for two more controls over CCs, PCs, or special functions such as page change! Liquid Foot+ models come with Axe FX and Kemper Auto-Load functions too.

10. Pickerman

Pickerman Supporting Member

Sorry Promit, I forgot about you not wanting to add an external expression! The liquid foot+ is not for your needs.

11. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

I don't believe that's true

12. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

It is. They don't have a MIDI output, only RJ45 to go to a Line 6 device or USB to go to a computer for use with their config software.

13. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

14. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

The Line 6 MkII units have midi over USB capability, and there are conversion boxes that will convert the USB to midi out. The earlier MkI pedals have no midi capability.

It's too bad as I really like the Line 6 Shortboard, it is the perfect size and setup IMHO. I'd rather use a pod and shortboard live than a floor unit like a HD500 or XT Live.

BTW, the VloTech unit used in the first video in post 13 is not available for purchase AFAIK, only the Arduino code is available on github. You'd have to roll your own converter hardware to make one of those (would require either a USB and midi shield or a RS422 and midi shield).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  15. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Very cool. Link?

16. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

While it is a little wider than you are looking for, it isn't as wide as an FCB1010 and it has TWO expression pedals integrated into it. As previously mentioned, the Roland FC-300. This thing is built like a tank, including METAL expression pedals instead of PLASTIC. I use it to control my Axe-Fx and it works great! Again, even though it is a little wider than you are looking for, you should still check it out. 21-22 inches wide is still a pretty small footprint.

17. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

I know its not all in one and might be alittle over your budget but i just built this mini board with the Liquid Foot Jr+ its mounted on the new Pedaltrain Metro 20. So far it been awesom, very small and light weight

[​IMG]

18. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

How about an old Digitech Control 8? It has five PC buttons, two bank buttons and an expression pedal. It is built like a tank and it is not big, but maybe a little bigger than what you are looking for. You should be able to find a cheap one on ebay.

[​IMG]

19. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

I still think the Moog Multi-pedal is the only thing that fits the bill. Talking about t makes me want to get it again, seriously. the built in expression pedal has such a smooth wide sweep from 0-4095

20. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Seriously check out the Keith McMillen SoftStep2. It more than fits the bill. Any one of it's buttons can be assigned as an expression pedal in 3 different ways: pressure, x-axis tilt, y-axis tilt. The pads are incredibly responsive, and can be configured to be anything you want them to be.

If you really wanted, you could have 5 expression pedals and 5 toggles, or even 10 expression pedals all in a pedal with no mechanical parts that can survive being run over with a car, and can be thrown in a gig bag with your guitar. And at less than half the price of the Moog.