Compact Powered Subs- Line 6 L3s or QSC K-Subs

Hi all:
I'm putting together a compact PA rig for my new Yacht Rock group, and I'm trying to cobble together a rig that'll deliver great sound at modest levels.
I drive a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. It has way more room than you might think, but fat subs suck up space awfully quick. I realize that this will limit my volume somewhat, but I have realistic expectations. We just need to feel the bottom end. We aren't trying to melt any faces.

I've got a nice set of JBL MRX515 tops, and I'd like to get a great set of compact powered subs to complete the rig.
The 2 choices I see are the QSC K-Subs and the Line 6 L3S.
Does anybody have experience with either or both of these?
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Crowder

Dang Twangler
QSC is a far better brand for PA gear. Line6 has made an effort but it hasn't really caught on.

People will tell you that the bandpass design of the QSC K-Sub is not ideal, but it's an acceptable compromise if you just want a little more low-end presence or to "feel" the kick and bass more. Based on your expectations they'd probably suit your situation. Likely much better than the Line6.

Moxsam

If you want small and powerful check out the Yorkville LS720p. I believe they are comparable to the Ksubs.

I've rented one of the LS200 subs for DJing a house party once and they were Ok but I was told by the sales guy they don't really keep up in band situation.

I've rented one of the LS200 subs for DJing a house party once and they were Ok but I was told by the sales guy they don't really keep up in band situation.
That's what I'd be afraid of. There's a huge difference between DJ bass and a hot kick drum.
Thanks for the recommendations!

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a single EV ETX18SP to match up with my K10s and it kicks ass...might be a little too big for your needs though.

RockoRecords

I was just here a little while ago asking some of the same questions, and now I have 2xQSC KW181's, 2xQSC K12's and 2xQSCK10's ordered to be picked up this weekend!
I never messed with Line 6 L3S but I tried my hardest to find anyone selling QSC gear and was surprised to see some of these brands JBL, Behinger, EV and a bunch others but rarely saw QSC gear listed because someone just wants a better rig. That made my choice for me. Search the market for Line 6 L3S in you area see what ya come up with.

Floyd Eye

I was just here a little while ago asking some of the same questions, and now I have 2xQSC KW181's, 2xQSC K12's and 2xQSCK10's ordered to be picked up this weekend!
I never messed with Line 6 L3S but I tried my hardest to find anyone selling QSC gear and was surprised to see some of these brands JBL, Behinger, EV and a bunch others but rarely saw QSC gear listed because someone just wants a better rig. That made my choice for me. Search the market for Line 6 L3S in you area see what ya come up with.

That will be a kick ass system.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
I've used a Yorkville LS720P for a few years, it works very well in a band situation. Also does great double duty for pre-recorded music!

Lance Romance

I have tried QSC, Line 6 and Yorkville subs.

1) I like the QSC KW series subs best. - The K series is great too and will work well with your tops
2) The Line6 subs are shaped in a way that you might not like how they integrate with your tops. They sound fine, but you may have trouble replacing or repairing in the future.
3) Yorkville subs don't sound very focused, yes they put out low end, but they're not the best of the 3 mentioned in this thread IMHO.

You cant go wrong with the QSC gear.

Floyd Eye

Yorkville's( at least the LS801P) need 2 small EQ tweaks to clean them up. Then, in my opinion, they sound as good as the QSCs. It will also take 2 of those 181s to even approach keeping up with one of them.

It's a matter of priorities. If you want to just plug and play and don't need the extra output then the KW181s are great boxes.

Lance Romance

Yorkville's( at least the LS801P) need 2 small EQ tweaks to clean them up. Then, in my opinion, they sound as good as the QSCs. It will also take 2 of those 181s to even approach keeping up with one of them.

It's a matter of priorities. If you want to just plug and play and don't need the extra output then the KW181s are great boxes.
The LS801P is the same model I used for a while. I tried everything to get to sound as good as the QSC, but I went back to the QSC. I guess its just a matter of opinion. The Yorkville put out plenty of bass, but it just seemed "messy" when compared to the focus and tightness of the QSC.

Rollin

Silver Supporting Member
Check out RCF Sub 705-AS MkII, it weights only 50 lbs. I think they sound great. Comparable in price to the QSC K sub, they sound just as good if not better (matter of opinion) with 131 spl. And at 50 lbs., it's a back saver!!!

Trending Topics