Compact tape or analog delays

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thesjkexperienc, Jul 12, 2019.

1. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I currently am using a catalinbread belle epoch for delay on my small board. While it works and sounds fine there are times it is difficult to dial in due to the sweep of the pots. Tiny movements make large changes.

What delay might work better for me? I need one that buffers and is easy to operate i.e. no menus or hidden functions. Top jacks are nice and want at least 600ms.

I’m looking at the Supro analog delay, Wampler Faux Tape Echo and the good ol Carbon Copy. Right now I’m leaning towards the Wampler as it also has tap tempo which is a luxury and the demos sound pleasing.

Anything else I should be looking at? Anyone loving their Faux Tape Echo?

Thanks

2. SG-Slinger

SG-Slinger Member

Cusack Tap a Delay
    Keeley Mag Echo

3. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

have never tried one but heard good things about the cheap and small "Echoplex" pedal. Does Dunlop make it? Pete Thorn uses one sometimes. It's on his "delay before distortion" vid. Seems warm and tasty in demos. Just an idea.

fuzzrhythm likes this.
  4. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Dunlop Echoplex is worth adding to your radar. I prefer the Belle Epoch Deluxe but the Dunlop is pretty good, especially if you’re not particularly keen on the EP3 preamp

fuzzrhythm likes this.
  5. telecrazy

telecrazy Member

The Echoplex is really good. It sits perfectly in the mix + very easy to use!
    (And you can get a tap tempo for it if you want.)

Quite different to analog delays such as CC and DM2 though.

6. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

The EP3 Echoplex is great, I like it better than my CB Belle Epoch, hell I like my Hotone Tape Ecko better than the Belle Epoch.

7. J5jarod777

J5jarod777 Member

That was the same reason I got rid of my Belle Epoch, great pedal, but just too much. I went with a Hermida EPH-3, and have been very pleased. It doesn't meet all your "demands", but definitely worth a look.

8. JesterR

JesterR Member

But I do not get, how other delay could solve your problem. And what movement makes that changes? Delay time? Mix? Feedback?

Buddy67 likes this.
  9. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

The Hermida EPH-3 is awesome and usually can be had at an SNS for $50.
    I have 2.
    Love them.

kludge likes this.
  10. Tootone

Tootone Member

11. meterman

meterman Supporting Member

I picked up the Wampler Faux Tape v2 a few weeks ago and I love it. Great sounding delay, blends beautifully, tap works great and subdivisions are useful.

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I kept a Faux Tape Echo over a Strymon El Capistan if that matters.

13. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

I assume you’re talking about the regular Belle and not the Deluxe- have you tried the latter? Besides sounding even better, the modulation at least is way better calibrated and is useful even at extremes, whereas the og got cartoonish past ten o’clock. And there’s the option of tap tempo. But as JesterR said, any delay is going to potentially present adjustment issues. Feedback in particular will be touchy with most tape or analog delays. At least with the BED you have the oscillation switch which allows you to set 2 feedback levels and switch between them.

14. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

Diamond Memory Lane Jr
    Dunlop Echoplex
    Carbon Copy
    Boss DM-2W.
    They’re all great. Plenty of others out there.

awallace likes this.
  15. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

I like the Obscura a lot but it's digital, right? I was going to I suggest it, it's probably my favorite delay, but I think OP specified analog.

16. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

It has tape and analog sims. The Belles, Echoplex, Quadrant and most of the other delays mentioned are all digital as well.

17. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

Fair enough, I probably misapprehended what OP was going for. The Obscura is pretty solid for it, then. Nice long delay time available, "luxurious" tap tempo, multi-modes.

18. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Rubberneck?

My fave is the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall RKM. It has a lot of extra features, but you can ignore them and just use it as a straight ahead phenomenal sounding analog delay. That's what I do.

Buddy67 likes this.
  19. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Another Hermida EPH-3 fan here.

20. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

Way Huge Supa Puss is still my favorite analog delay! Plenty of features, can do everything I’ve ever wanted in an analog delay, and it can do a bunch of wild experimental stuff too.