Comparable company to Nash or Suhr

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jlullo, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jlullo

jlullo Member

Hey guys,
    What other companies would you say are at a similar level (as far as number of guitars they produce and quality) to Bill Nash and John Suhr?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't Nash assemble parts guitars? If so, I'd say you're looking at apples and oranges between those two even before introducing any others...

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

The proverbial Apple and Orange.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

K-line and Tom Anderson.

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Can't speak about the volume of guitars produced, but in terms of similar quality and consistency to Suhr I'd recommend the following Luthiers.

-Grosh
    -Melancon
    -Rice
    -Anderson

There are many others, but I've had personal experience with the ones listed above for Fender style guitars. The Fender Custom Shop is excellent too and where John Suhr built guitars for awhile.

6. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

that is a weird question, considering Nash is not really known for consistency of quality, even amongst people who like his guitars. He does pretty basic vintage copies with relic finishes at moderate prices. Sometimes the string alignment is a little off, and the relicing looks fake on many of them. They are also non-custom guitars, you buy what he builds.

Suhr, on the other hand, has a wide variety of custom models with loads of options, totally spec'd by the customer. Suhr uses lots of modern (or vintage) design ideas, plek treatments, SS frets, buzz feiten tuning, winds his own line of pickups, does urethane finishes, Silent coil systems,etc. Suhr is also extremely consistent and meticulous about set-ups, fit and finish. They are a bigger outfit and in general are a much higher end market than nash.

The closest company (to suhr)in terms of quality and philosophy is Tom anderson guitars. They are similar in quality control, finish type, and scope of what they manufacture, although Tom has his own unique tricks worth checking out.

As to companies similar to Nash, you could check out K-line- Chris is a nice guy, his prices are a little lower than nash, and his relicing looks more natural.

7. jlullo

jlullo Member

thanks very much guys, i appreciate it!