Comparable to Line 6 M9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Struong57, May 8, 2015.

1. Struong57

Struong57 Member

I'm considering purchasing an M9, which I heard had the exact same features and effects as the larger M13, but I was wondering if there's another pedalboard that is better than the M9 and doesn't take up a ton of real estate?

2. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

How many effects do you want to run similtaneously? You can run 3 with the M9, 1 with the M5.

3. Struong57

Struong57 Member

The more the better, so 3.

4. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Maybe one of the Zoom units?

5. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Yeah, the Zoom MS pedals have the "particle" type stuff so they would be pretty close. I was thinking about doing a board with only those pedals once! Not so much anymore.

6. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Zoom MS series are amazing. But it's a pain to use them in a live situation unless you add a bypass looper (so you can scroll with Zoom's switch and use bypass looper as a master switch), a DIY Arduino controller or a gHhost device by Disaster Area + MIDI controller, or if you just simple get used to it.

7. Struong57

Struong57 Member

Okay. If anyone has a Line 6 M9, what additional (expression, volume, tap tempo, etc.) pedals should I get with the pedalboard?

8. mikeboan

mikeboan Member

I use an expression pedal with my M13 and it's amazing. Every single parameter can be controlled by the expression pedal so you have tons of options for customization. The only downside is it becomes a bit difficult to adjust settings on the fly with the expression pedal plugged in because the unit thinks you're telling it to adjust the setting for only one position of the pedal. When you move the expression pedal the setting will go back to its original location. My quick workaround is to unplug the pedal, adjust, and plug it back in. Easy enough.

On the whole the M-series is fantastic. Even the drives are pretty good. Won't blow your $300 tubescreamer clone out of the water but they get pretty close, close enough for a live setting at least. The only models I never liked very much were the compressors.

9. MartinPiana

Big M9 fan here. The expression pedal, as mikeboan said, can do a lot! Including act like a volume pedal. That said, I don't use it much at this point. One thing more than I need unless I'm in a late night experimental mood or situation. M9 has Tap Tempo on board. If you're interested in mods, check out Jack Vaughn: http://www.jhv3.com/m-series-mods/ ... Audio upgrade is a slight - noticeable but not essential - improvement in sound. Master volume knob is useful - if you're sending it to Jack for something else, worth $15 for the MV. The switches are the biggest benefit, IMO. I started having a glitchy switch after several years of use, so I sent it to Jack to upgrade all the switches. And now I'm spoiled by the no-click switches and want them on my EHX pedals. Anybody know who'll do that for me?

10. Struong57

Struong57 Member

Do you recommend the expression pedal for volume instead of a separate Ernie Ball VP?

11. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

I took the route of simply getting used to it. It's helpful to have more than one so you can build a few patches in case you need two separate patches for one song

12. MartinPiana

I don't use a volume pedal often, so the M9 suits my needs for that. If I used it constantly, I'd want a separate pedal so I could use the three available effects on the M9 for other things. I'm using a separate wah for that reason, as well as I think it sounds better than any of the M9 models.