Compare a Bogner cab to a Mesa one for me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Those that have played both. How would you compare them? I'm thinking of picking up a Bogner cab to go with my XTC, and selling the Mesa. Wise? Unwise?

Give me info.

2. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

a Recto 2-12 to a Bogner OS 2-12. Both had V30's. The Bogner sounded bigger and woodier if that helps. The Mesa was darker and bassier. I felt the Bogner had more presence than the Mesa. YMMV

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Also, how do you find they compare to say a THD 4x12?

4. billm408

billm408 Member

I've got a Bogner 4x12, OS 2x12 and a Mesa Recto 4x12. Both the 2x12 and Recto cab are loaded with V30's, the Bogner 4x12 has V30's & CL80's in an X pattern.

First, the standard Bogner 4x12 is somewhat undersized which likely accounts for the tighter bottom end you get with these cabs. The Mesa is somewhat boomy, but totally workable with the EQ'ing options available on an XTC for the hard rock/metal that I'm using it for. I find that Bogner's OS 2x12 sits right in the middle of these two. Both Bogners sound more upfront and present where the Mesa sits back a little and is darker sounding. FWIW... lately I'm using the Bog 4x12, but go back & forth with the Mesa for gigs.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

You can make generalities but to be fair you would really have to try them all with identical speakers.

6. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

212 Mesa and Bogner user here, closeback, both Vintage 30.
    I like both, Bogner has more open sound, better for crunched leads and cleans. Late I changed speakers in Bogner to Greenbacks and use both cabs.
    Quality-wise both are very well built, Bogner probably having slight edge.
    ENGL 212 is even sturdier, deeper lows than any of above. Probably the best for modern, heavier sounds. I like 212 more than 412 in most cases (recording and small stages).

7. edward

edward Supporting Member

I would most certainly NOT sell the Mesa cab until I got the Bogner (or any other) cab in my house. As was already said, both are overbuilt and seriously sturdy and road worthy ...no cheap construction shortcuts with either of these cabs. So your question ought to be answered only WHEN you A/B the two of them with your own gear.

Edward

8. k_kush

k_kush Member

I have a Bogner 4x12 w/ v30s and a Mesa traditional 4x12 (not oversized) w/ v30s. I love both cabs. Here are few of my observations...
    • Mesa Cab is 8 ohms mono / 4 ohms stereo
    • Bogner Cab is 16 ohms mono only
    • With my Ecstacy, I prefer the Bogner cab as it has a more open, natural character
    • With my Egnater M4 / VHT 2/50/2, I prefer the Mesa cabs
    • Both cabs have great, tight bottom end. Note: The oversized mesa cabs tend to be more bottom heavy and looser sounding than the smaller traditional cab.
    I'm considering picking up another Mesa cab primarily due to the fact that they are cheaper and I have the option of running multiple amps into each cab (stereo capabilities). The difference in tone is negligible for me. If you play out often, keep in mind the Mesa may hold up better as it has corner protection which the Bogner does not have. Both are built like a brick @#$#house though.

9. coxswain

coxswain Member

The Bogner Cab rules.

And why not use the cab the cab that was built for the XTC? Your amp is craving for a black and tan...I say Bog all the way.

Chase

10. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thanks for the comparison. FWIW, Bogner cabs are cheaper here, so I could probably buy a new one with the money from selling the Mesa.

Kinda what I'm thinking, but even so...

11. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Right now I have a Bogner OS 2x12 (Closed), MESA Recto 2x12, and a THD 2x12 all side by side with my EL-34 Shiva head. All 3 cabs have V30's in them. I tried these tests with a Hamer Studio and a Tele - here's the observations.

MESA Recto 2x12 - Deep, punchy, and big. Sounds like a 4x12 if you close your eyes. Fairly neutral tonal response - just bigger.

Bogner OS 2x12 Closed - Woody and rounded with a fair amount of top end sizzle. It's like turning the presence knob up by 3-4. Not a ton of bottom, but not lacking either.

THD 2x12 - Who turned up the midrange? Kinda like mounting speakers in a cardboard box. Very compressed - not much top and not much bottom.

The veridct? MESA 2x12!!! If I had to rate them 1-10, it would be: MESA 9, Bogner 7, and THD 4. I used to really really like the THD 2x12 - until I tried it with this amp. It's just so squashed and middy. FWIW, it's also the smallest cab of the three. The Bogner OS - I had high hopes for. It's not a bad cab by any stretch, i just don't really like the high end voicing. To me it's very very bright and not as big sounding as I was hoping for. Maybe I should try the Shiva sized cab? The Mesa is hands down the winner for me. It just sounds so f#$%ing big compared to the other two. It's the one cab that makes me forget I'm not playing thru a 4x12. Also it's the only cab that doesn't make me think about the cab - i.e. not distracting, just pleasing.

Hope this helps,

Stormin!

12. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Wow, that is really interesting, thank you.

I had heard the Bogner cabs have a smoother top end than the Mesas, but your side by side tests blow that theory away.

Thanks for that.

13. Erik

Erik Member

One thing you might want to try with your Recto cab...dampen it. The Bogner cabs use dampening material on the back...do the same thing to your Recto cab and I'll venture a guess the results will be closer to how the Bogner sounds. If I'm wrong, it's a really cheap fix.

14. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Needless to say, I was surprised with the results. It's not how I would've thought or wanted it to turn out.

Stormin!

15. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Are the speakers in your Mesa 2x12" more broken in than the speakers in the Bogner?