Compare and contrast...FTR37 & RSA23

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cocheese, Nov 26, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Can you guys who have had the pleasure of playing both of these give me an idea of how these guys differ? I have played the FTR37 extensively but it always left me wanting something more British sounding... I'm thinking that the RSA23 may fit the bill.

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i've played both, and although some people disagree with me, i thought that they sounded similar enough for me to stop gassing for the RSA23. The RSA23 definately has less head room, and more of a marshally feel, but i felt as if if i could get most of the tones out of the second channel with my FTR37. I'm more of a fender tweed guy than a plexi or something, so i prefered the ftr37s dirty tones as well as clean tones. With the 37, you can get Blackface tones, some voxy clean tones (with the pull switch out), and some really agressive tweed tones, as well as some smoother leads with the bottom input on the click channel (this has become my favorite). On the other hand, with the 23 you can get some really nice tweed/18 watt marshall tones as well as quite a bit of voxy tones, but i couldn't really get the blackface clean i love.

Anyways, i hope that helps. After hearing the Rsa23, i decided it wasn't for me. Now i'm gassing for the RSA31!!!

In the end, you can't go wrong with fred's amps

you also may be interested in his new jjn100/50. I played that as well and that is by far the best sounding all around ROCK amp i've ever heard in my life.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

They do sound similar...like you can tell the same brains are involved in designing both of them...but the RSA23 definitely has more of a Marshall-ish personality. I think the back end plays a bigger part in the 23's OD sound too. I also agree that it has less clean headroom, but I will say it cleans up maybe even better than the '37 from the guitar--and the '37 is awfully good that way.

4. themusicboxstudios

exactly!

5. cocheese

Well, while we're on the topic... What other amps would you compare the jjn50/100 to? I see that the guy from Slipknot plays one. Is it a numetal amp or more classic sounding?

Thanks for the help guys. :)

6. Leonc

No...I think Fred would admit he was a bit shocked that the cat from Slipknot wanted one of his amps--think he's using it for his "clean" sound heheh.

I'd compare the JJN to a variety of hot-rodded Marshalls...but with a very good MV and excellent effects loop. More gain than all other /13s, though it cleans up amazingly well from the guitar. It's got Fred's wonderful recipe for solid low-end (better than most plexis I've heard). I got to hear it with and without the loop and I don't really think I could tell the diff. He did a damn good job on that!

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Hey Leon,

Do you think that he might be adding the loop as an option on other models now?

The JJN would certainly be the best recipient for one (not so much on the FTR, but there are situations...), and I'm glad to hear it has it. I cannot wait to get one!

8. Leonc

I don't think he plans to. Though I think to some extent, it's a function of what customers ask for.

9. cocheese

Leon,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the JJN had an effects loop. That would be really cool as I haven't used any effects in a loop since I had an amp with an effects loop...duh!! No really, I've been playing all these non-master single and double channel amps with no frills like that. Sounds like a smokin rig with a 2290 or something in the loop through a nice 4x12. Man, I know what I'm dreaming about tonight; hope it doesn't wake the neighbors! ;) :D

10. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hate to contribute to anyone's GAS... but... that JJN amp knocked me out... I want one. Best clarity-punch-note seperation-warmth hi gainer that I can remember playing through. It doesn't have obscene amounts of front end gain, it's just perfect when the pre is cranked to 10, master on 5-7 in my opinion.

Yum.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I think the RSA23 has stouter mids, something I felt missing a bit from the FTR37. I am much happier with the RSA23.

12. cocheese

How good is the master volume on the JJN? I'm not looking at "whisper" volumes here, but I want to get an amp that has a nicely done master. Does it still clean up with the guitar's volume control?

13. petemin

petemin Supporting Member

"I think the RSA23 has stouter mids, something I felt missing a bit from the FTR37. I am much happier with the RSA23."

hey GAT,

you might want to try the sjt37. i kind of felt the same way about the ftr37 where i wanted the upper mids to be a bit more forward. fredrick put el34's in my ftr and it punched out the upper mids more and sounds awesome. i also just got the rsa and it rocks, but definitely check out the sjt. they're both great.

14. themusicboxstudios

fred was extremely happy with how the master volume turned out. He was really excited about how good it sounds at conversation volumes. I agreed!

15. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

It is One of the best if not the best I think I have heard....

16. cocheese

Thanks for the info guys. You aren't making this any easier! (In a G.A.S. kind of way.) Sounds like a stellar amp indeed. :D

17. themusicboxstudios