Compare ASAT Special and Reverend P-90's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by juh_sepp, Jan 28, 2008.

1. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

As most of you know, GAS is an irrational and alive being. It is acting irrationally on me in regards to P-90 rigs. I have searched but can't find exactly what I am looking for. TIA for your help.

How do the ASAT Specials (specifically Tribute) and Rev P-90's compare in regards to:

Pickups (of course)
    neck profile and playability
    weight and comfort
    anything else I haven't thought of yet.

Keeping the Tribute and Revs in mind because of similar pricing, both are touted as great value. I have noodled around on the Tribute and USA ASAT and agree that they are fine guitars. Reverend is not so available around here; I plan on stopping by Super Sound in CA when I visit family this year. Coincidentally, Buffalo Bros is nearby. So the idea is to steal away while the family is at Sea World (or someplace like that) and have my idea of a great time at both of those establishments. In the meantime, I would like to hear from the collective experiences of TGP.

Other guitars that I have been directed to include Hamer. But for now, what can I learn about the ASAT special and the Reverends.

Thanks again....

2. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

Hmmm,

Seems everyone is in the Pub, commenting on boogers......

3. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

I resemble that statement!
    I have two ASAT Specials, one with Bigsby. The pickups are US made on the tributes. I also have several P-90 guitars. Gibson,PRS, and partscasters.
    The ASAT and the P-90 sound IMHO are totally different beasts. I say get one of each.

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, seems like every post is relevant to me today. My local shop is an authorized Reverend dealer (they only allow 1 shop in a 100 mile radius to sell their gear to keep from overlapping/glut/making sure stores are doing right by them (and the customer)). I also just sold my G&L ASAT Tribute special yesterday. Sooooo.... they both are amazing for the value and incredible deals if you can find them used (I sold my Tribute for $350 including shipping, I've seen Reverends around TGP sell for similar... there's one on ebay for $450 with a Les Trem installed nice guitar... someone else on TGP has one with a Bigsby on it!!!!).
    I think if you can find an older, Korean made G&L you cannot go wrong. I can't speak for the newer Indonesian models, but they are at least worth a try. FWIW I saw a 10 year old Korean made G&L Legacy Tribute on ebay with a BIN of $250!!!!!!!!! MINT!!!!
    All of the newer Reverends are made in Korea, but supposedly checked or "finished" here in the US before being distributed. You can join the Reverend forum to learn a lot more and you can also scope out www.guitarsbyleo.com for some general G&L info, not much about Tributes though.
    My Reverend (MantaRay) had their PAF pups (Revtrons) and was killer -- I sold it to a friend because the body (large semi-hollow) was a little big for my style, perfect for him. The bass contour rolloff knob is VERY useable. The pups (any style) are all very articulate and stand up to any offering out there. I agree with their statement that there is no need to fuss or mod their stuff -- it stands up off the shelf. I'm gassing for one and I'm going to buy another soon. Check the clips on their site; they seem to market this "rockabilly vibe" with lot's of mojo, but I can tell you that these can play some nice blues/rock, clean up straight for rush-like cleans and can growl really well.
    My G&L was a tight guitar... solid, the neck was awesome, the pups are very articulate as well, HI-FI makes sense to me when listening compared to anything with a softer more vintage voicing. The pups in the special are a semi-P90 kind of thing, their own sound but I really liked the clarity and punch. The only reason I sold mine was to fund an older, USA G&L Legacy.
    Hope this helps. To me:
    G&L = clean, articulate, tight and well crafted
    Reverend = mojo, smooth, down home rock n' roll
    I was actually going to start a new thread heralding these 2 companies and their success with USA inspired designs / Korean building but my fingers are tired now.... ;)

5. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

Loni Spector,

thanks for the input. I did not realize that the two pickups are so different. Good input.

Your suggestion to get both is well recieved. That is always possible.

thanks again.

6. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

Gasp 100

"G&L = clean, articulate, tight and well crafted
    Reverend = mojo, smooth, down home rock n' roll"

Great summation, just what I was asking for.

Too bad I missed out on your G&L, that is the story of my life. But I am keeping my eyes open.

Anyone else with a take on this topic?

7. jordanL

jordanL Member

AS already stated the G&L MFD's look like p-90's but are constructed quite differently. They have more bass and treble than a P-90, and can produce a nice range of tones when used with their tone control. I'm not familiar with the newer Reverends so no comment there.

Oh and Buffalo Bros are good people to deal with.

8. cameron

cameron Member

Yeah, the MFDs are original enough in their design that they were patented. They do resemble P-90s (both cosmetically and electrically) more than they do traditional Fender pickups, but they have a quite different sound from P-90s.

The advantage of a P-90 guitar over the ASAT Special is the range of aftermarket pickups available. I'd buy an ASAT specifically for the pickups. If I were considering a Reverend (which I won't because I will never again buy a guitar with a Tune-o-matic bridge) I would be planning to swap out the pickups.

9. Gasp100

"I will never again buy a guitar with a Tune-o-matic bridge"
    Any particular reason?

10. cameron

cameron Member

I break strings like crazy with Tune-o-matics. They always break right where the string makes that sharp angle over those little string-breakers on the bridge piece.

So it's Tele-style or other string-through, or one-piece wraparound stop-tails for me. The G&L patented bridges are fine too.

11. Gasp100

Ahhhh, makes complete sense. I didn't consider that, I only had my Reverend for about 2 months and didn't break a string (I know, wimp :worried)
    But, I am considering buying another one soon.