Compare: Barber DD to 1/2 Gainer to LTD...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SlyStrat, Jan 29, 2012.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I have the Barber Direct Drive and really like it.
    How does the 1/2 Gainer and LTD compare?

2. tikabear

tikabear Supporting Member

I had a DD that I sold to get a LTD. I did a lot of research beforehand. I use a DRRI and a Strat or a PRS 305 and I like a slightly dirty tone. For me, the DD was just too much, even using the guitar volume to compensate. The Ltd gets me what I want and is capable of much more if I ever want to get really dirty. I have no experience with the Half Gainer.

3. cmaciag

cmaciag Supporting Member

The direct drives are much more OD and much more compression. The LTD is much more open and can almost be a boost... with some OD on top. The LTD is articulate.

I have the LTD SS.. and an LTD Silver.. and will never let either go.

I use the SS into clean amps.. and whenever I need to go gig and not know what amp I might have. I can always get a monster Marshall tone out of it for my leads.

I use the LTD into my marshalls.. already overdriven amps... to push it just a little more.

Barber OD pedals are the best sound to me.. and the great price doesn't hurt!

4. cmaciag

cmaciag Supporting Member

oopps Direct Drive Super Sport .. make that! I said ltd ss...

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

i have 1/2 gainer & DD both of which I used this morning. totally different pedals and gain range. i'm still on the fence with DD (got it on a b-stock sale recently) ... but 1/2 gainer is very versatile especially on the lower gain side. you may want to try it in your rig, you may like ;)

6. SHM

SHM Member

The ½ Gainer is two LTD´s in a box, with a midrange control, so you can go from LTD SR to the Standard an in between. To me,one of the greatest od I´ve ever-

7. cayle_6

cayle_6 Member

In terms of gain, the Direct Drive has the most out of the three. The Half Gainer is basically 2 switchable LTD channels that share a single Mid control. I've had bothe the Half Gainer and the DDSS, and they stack well together. I've tried the LTD at my luthier's shop. The Half Gainer and he LTD are indeed very similar, except for the mid control on the Half Gainer.

So, the Half Gainer and LTD have less gain than the Direct Drive.