Compare Cannabis Rex & G12H30 in a DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blues Jr, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I'm thinking of swapping out the Jensen P12Q speaker in my DRRI. It's sounds a little too thin, and bright. I've done the bright cap clip, and only play through the vibrato channel, so i pulled the tube from V1.

After doing a search, it seems these 2 speakers, the Cannabis Rex, and the Celestion G12H30 get mentioned alot as good replacements. Only problem i could not find any details on how they compare to eachother sound wise.
    Wondering if anyone has used both, and wouldn't mind posting a few details.

Thanks!

2. Blues Jr

Anyone?.........

3. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

ok, to my ears, the CR will be slightly darker and break up a little sooner and more smoothly, the 12H30 will have a bell-like clean tone with solid bottom and slightly less mids. I like both but slightly prefer the CR as I'm usually going for a tweedier sound, using les paul rather than single coils, ymmv. -GFI

p.s. I dig them both WAY more than that Jensen, which sounds thin and farty to me. With either one, your amp will be a little heavier, but it's worth it

4. J-P Twang

J-P Twang Member

+1, But I would prefer the G12H30. I really liked the C rex but I don't think it sounds like a Fender. In my opinion the C rex was smooth and inspiring and all, but just too dark for a fender type sound. So IMO the G12H is a better choice.

You should also check out the Celestion Gold or the Weber Silver Bell Alnico.

5. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Can't help with the comparison, but love the CR in mine. No further desire to clip the bright cap.

6. telejammer

telejammer Member

I have the same amp and did the bright clip and swapped out the Jensen for a Celestion G12H-80, works well even lows,mids, ans no high spike of the Jensen.

7. John55

John55 Member

Once it gets here I'm putting a Scumbak M75 in my BFDR. It's had a CR in it the past few years and I have no complaints. But I want to try a different tone so we'll see! The G12H30 is a bit light in the mids and bright up top to my ears. BF Fenders are voiced exactly that way so I wanted a speaker that was more mid heavy and not too bright up top. IIRC, Robben Ford used a Celestion 12-65 in his deluxe and that tone is as good as BF tone gets to my ears.

8. Blues Jr

Thanks just what i wanted to know.

9. J-P Twang

J-P Twang Member

I A/B:d the G12H30 and the Celestion Gold and they where very close. However, i kept the Gold in the amp. I am very pleased.

On the other hand... Some prefer the Silver Bell over the Gold.
    :confused: