Compare Early EVM-L, to EV FORCE & Altec 417-8H

Jhtjon

If you were going to pair a EV 12 Force with another speaker what would it be? Cabinet will be an oval port 2X12. Amp will be either a TW Rocket, Dumble Small Special 100 (only the clean channel of an ODS, or similar to a Showman), or a 50W Bassman.

bosstone

For those who might still be interested: The FORCE speakers were rated for 150 watts and designed for musical instruments. The original (I can't comment on more recent versions.) were rated for 200 watts and as a musical reinforcement speaker.

M

Member 1963

I used EV's for years. My fav speaker. (tho the waza in my artist has tested my loyalty) But i tried the force a number of years ago in hopes of a lighter EV. Nothing like a 12L. If you like 12L's chances are you won't like the force because it's like a weak version of it. Just MO.

bosstone

I used EV's for years. My fav speaker. (tho the waza in my artist has tested my loyalty) But i tried the force a number of years ago in hopes of a lighter EV. Nothing like a 12L. If you like 12L's chances are you won't like the force because it's like a weak version of it. Just MO.
Weaker doesn’mean worse. If that were the case almost all speakers would be worse than EVMs. I bought a Boogie Mk II C+ 60/100 the year they came out and have had at least 6 of them in other Boogie Matks and a Old Frnder Twin over the years. Though they are fine speakers I feel they are a bit harsh, and cold by comparison to the FORCE speakers.

M

Member 1963

Weaker doesn’mean worse. If that were the case almost all speakers would be worse than EVMs. I bought a Boogie Mk II C+ 60/100 the year they came out and have had at least 6 of them in other Boogie Matks and a Old Frnder Twin over the years. Though they are fine speakers I feel they are a bit harsh, and cold by comparison to the FORCE speakers.
Thats assuming you know what i mean by weaker. It's hard todescribe tone so I just randomly picked a word and it may not even mean what you think. If you thought i meant less power handling, thats not at all what i was trying to say. It IS less in that regard, but as u say thats not a bad thing. But it's also not what i meant.

bosstone

I assumed you were using the common definition of "weak". At any rate, there are a lot of factors in choosing a speaker and I have been very surprised when putting favorite speakers in different amps and cabinets. Sometimes they were an improvement and sometimes a very big disappointment. Once, I found that cheapo Fender speaker with a small magnet sounded better in an amp that I had tried 4 or 5 other supposedly better speakers in.

Heady Jam Fan

I've had a few EVM12L and Force 12 speakers. I felt they were very similar, especially considering the difference in the magnet size. In a similarly constructed speaker, the magnet size correlates to frequency breadth: the smaller magnet on the Force means a bit more mids by comparison, but not an earth shattering difference. At 150w and approximately the same weight as a Celestion, it is a good option especially if you want to pair it with another speaker (V30 or Gold is a great option). The Force is noticeably quieter, for better or worse. The benefit of a 12L is that a 1x12 sounds as big as a 4x12, has plenty of headroom, more portable than a 2x12 with typical-weight speakers, and sounds pretty much the same whether your playing at a whisper or you crank the amp up, which is the major selling point for me: consistency and reliability are the #1 factors in my rig even above tone because if you can't count on getting your sound right every time, then what does it matter? I do think the EV-family of speakers sounds great though. Haven't bit the bullet on a Great Planes Altec, but the paper cone one does seem like it would be interesting and up my alley. Often a speaker that gets suggested on threads like this is Fane, but I'm also less familiar with their line of speakers.

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
Reviving this old thread:
I’m having a 1x12 made initially for a 50w D Style head. I have a Force 12 that hasn’t been used for years. Has anyone used one of these in this application? A smooth overdrive from the amp is my goal. I also have a Cannabis Rex and a 1988 V30 hanging around. I know tone is subjective, but whatever opinions are out there are welcome. I’m don’t mind buying something new; WGS ET65, ET90, WGS or Eminence EV style....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom