compare SD-1 and OD-3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joeDRII, Apr 4, 2008.

1. joeDRII

joeDRII Member

Can anyone compare these two. I've been trying a analogman modded SD-1, and like it. I've never heard a OD-3, but noticed there aren't any mods for it. Is this because its already great? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. ungarn

ungarn Member

One common mod for OD-3...lift D6,D7 as prescribed by Keeley...a little more open...

The OD-3 is a good, solid, overdrive with a tubey sound that plays well with any amp I have tried it on. Lots of users here at TGP.

Good luck!

3. jayn

jayn Member

Having reversed a popular OD-3 mod for a friend, I'd say there are few mods because it doesn't really need it...at least, at low gain settings. There are a few things you could tweak to help it, but it's not necessary, IMO.

My self-modded SD-1 still has a mid-hump compared to my stock OD-3. It may have a bit more gain too. The OD-3 has more volume boost and a flatter EQ, but can give you a bit of an 80's rawk tone with too much gain (which may or may not be an advantage). SD-1 is from the TS family whereas the OD-3 is a more unique design. I like both a lot.

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

i use mu sd-1 for low gain and my od-3 for high gain play

5. joeDRII

joeDRII Member

Cool. Sounds like I might like the OD-3 a little better. How does the BD-2 compare?

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

Have, and like, both. Overall, OD-3 more 'open', SD-1 smoother and more compressed.

7. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I just got finished comparing a stock OD-3 to a stock Made in Japan SD-1 going into a 50 watt JCM 800 Marshall into two 800 4x12 1982B cabs loaded w/ G12-80's. Guitar used was a Vee copy made in Japan by Greco (Of Course!) LOL!, and I'll have to agree with you on those two points but add some others.
    The OD-3 seems to have a lot more low end than the SD-1 but the drive has a bad tone a "Ruffness" in it that is kind of hard to decribe. Definatly not as smooth as the SD-1.

8. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

I have an analogman Maxon sd-1 that is used for ass kicking

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

I can't stand stock, or modded BD-2's...gritty, ugly little buggers...I know others like 'em quite a bit but they are definitely not for me...

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

SD-1 = Tubescreamer. They are nearly identical circuits.

Compared to the SD-1 The OD-3 has much more low mids simulating a bit of the thump of a closed back cab and it also has about twice the gain. The OD3 can do up classic rock crunch into a totally clean amp but its no metal pedal by any stretch. Its definitely more open sounding than the SD-1 because of its flat midrange. Also it doesn't have the shrill high end of some of boss's more popular pedals like th DS-1 (orange distortion) or BD-2. Another cool thing about the OD-3 is that its has a huge usable gain range. The thing sounds good at low (9:00), med (noon), and hi (3:00) gain settings and can do light grit to crunch. Overall I happen to think its the best OD that Boss ever made.

BTW, the keely DIY mod is AWFUL. i think he must've posted this as a joke. I couldn't get my pedal back to stock fast enough. The mod made the pedal sputter and splat badly as the notes decayed.:nono

The BD-2 IMO only sounds good at low gain settings (below noon), cuts bass, has a shrill treble response and adds an unnatural fuzzy/raspy decay to the guitar. YMMV but I found it annoying and it was sold in short order.

11. sandman

sandman Member

what he said.

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I think its the opposite way round personally.

13. jayn

jayn Member

Totally agree on the OD-3 mod...tried it...yuck.

BD-2 sounds a lot better modded, but I'm still on the fence with mine. I added bass and got rid of some of the weird decay with the mods, but it's not totally gone. You definitely need to keep the gain and tone knobs below noon on that one...modded or not.

14. homestar_kevin

homestar_kevin Member

there is a monte allums kit for the OD-3!

15. ungarn

ungarn Member

Sorry no joke...my self modded OD-3 now sounds better than stock, and certainly better than a BD-2.

Be sure to check out a DigiTech Bad Monkey if you are comparing these pedals...it is a heckuva bargain.

Of course...YMMV...that is why there is more than just Taco Bell...

Good luck on the tonequest!

16. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I used an OD-3 with my plexi years ago, before really getting into booteek stuff, and I will say, it worked great! The highs were rolled off, so it wasn't very open sounding, but it blended well with the Marshall's OD.

17. joeDRII

joeDRII Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll probably get an OD-3 off ebay.

18. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Been thinking about ordering one of these OD-3 kits but will probally have my amp tech install it. I'm not really a big fan of the stock OD-3's sound.