Compare the Shiva, Hot Cat 30r and Orange Rockerverb 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobbtoz, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

I have a shiva head. Its a great sounding amp and I love the darker voicing and thick bottom. Lately the shiva seems like it doesn't have enough gain and saturation, especially when playing at band practice. Allot of this is due to the fact the other guitarist is using a peavey JSX w/ a processor. The tones do not compliment each other, but even so the shiva just isn't angry enough at higher volumes. Even when pushed w/ an overdrive it just seems like its too much, but not in a good (overdrive) way. I've been screwing around and trying different things but a good metal tone is not to be found. I'm sure my playing has alot to do w/ this and I'm working on that aspect.

So I'm considering the Hot Cat and the Orange Rocker Verb 50. I love the 80's hardrock/metal tones, but would like to have more gain, sustain and saturation on tap. Something that retains a thick fat tone (like the shiva) and is capable of eating the peavey jsx for lunch.

Thanks for the input.

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I have no experience with the Orange amp, but I have compared the Hot Cat (I had a 30 watter) with the Shiva. Here are my impressions:

1. The clean tones on the Hot Cat are more open sounding.

2. The gain tones are more dynamic and touch sensitive on the Hot Cat, and the gain can be pushed higher. The Shiva is more of a classic rocker, to my ear. However, I am not a metal player, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

In general, the Shiva's tones are comparatively compressed. However, this is NOT necessarily a bad thing. The Shiva is a great amp, and people love the way its compression responds to their style of play.

I prefer the Hot Cat, but before you switch, have you tried the Shiva with a different kind of cab or speakers?

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm as opinionated as the next guy. I've owned a Shiva and played through 2 or 3 Hot Cats (30s) over a period of a couple years. I never bought a Hot Cat, but I did buy an Orange Rockerverb 50. IMHO:

- Cleans

The Hot Cat has least pleasing cleans. They're not bad at all...they're just not great to me. I love fat, juicy, harmonically rich jangley cleans, like you get from a Matchless, some AC30s and some other amps like Alessandros.

The Shivas cleans are wonderful. I think the amp is almost worth it for the clean tones. They are big and juicy and have a Fender-ish kind of feel to them. Def not voxy at all.

The Shiva's reverb (if you get one with reverb) is darn good.

The Rockerverb has the best cleans. They're different sounding. Very fat. Very juicy. Not really voxy or Fenderish. Well...maybe sort of Fenderish. Kinda. They're their own thing and the sound is lush and smooth. Gobs of clean headroom - More than either of the other two.

The Rockerverb's reverb is very, very good in small doses. If you turn it way up, it gets to splashy for me. But with just a little bit? Sounds almost like delay.

- OD

All three amps have a great overdrive sound! They've all got some teeth. The Shiva is probably the least aggressive. Probably not the first choice for metal. Has a nice Marshall vibe to it...but not exactly Marshall.

The Hot Cat's OD is a bit more harmonically rich. Very big in the mids and not as big/firm/distinct in the lows. Perhaps a bit smoother than the Shiva which is wee bit rawer. Some of this may be the cab--I don't think I played anything besides the combos.

The Rockerverb's OD is rather different. It has some serious Marshall-like edge to it. It has more gain than either of the other two (though it sounds great with only moderate levels of gain as well). It has more low-end and a firmer low end than either of the other two, making it more suited for metal, IMO. Again...it's got its own personality. Not really Marshall-ish--it's tonal orientation is different; more going on in the lows and low mids.

I chose the Rockerverb. I loved the cleans and its prickly OD personality is different and very cool, IMO. I have plenty of clips available if haven't heard the amp before.

But you owe it to yourself to check out all the amps, if at all possible. You can only get so much by asking others for their opinions and hearing clips.

4. bobbtoz

Wow, you guys put up some great reviews. Leonc-Your right. I will need to check out the Hot Cat 30r and Rockerverb for myself, but that requires a 3-4 hr road trip and I can't find one place that has all the amps I want to play, so I'm trying to narrow it down. I heard allot of people comment that the Hot Cat 30r has more gain on tap than the rockerverb 50. I guess I'll have to try these two out back to back.

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

Checkout a Budda sd80
    It will eat alot of amps in a live situation.
    It is the tightest and fattest sounding channel switcher I've ever played , palm mute madness.........it seems to have all the right EQ curve for sitting great in any mix.
    The clean is awesome and the drive will do 80s/hardrock and can go further into metal territory than the shiva........if one needs more gain a booster still doesn't mush out the drive.
    Not as versatile as the shiva as it has shared EQ and no reverb........but it does have a great loop.
    Joe Bonnamassa is using two for his clean rig so that speaks volumes just for the clean channel as he has awesome tone.

Cheers
    Ricker

6. bobbtoz

I've heard great things about the Budda, but I also need an amp that sounds great at alow volume. From what I understand the Budda doesn't perform that good until you push it. If I get the opportunity I'll have try one.

7. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yeah you're right....you need an attenuator to get the most out of it.
    The budda is also quite a compressed sound .....which I like.....but which may not float your boat

Cheers
    Rick

8. bobbtoz

I think I'll need to check one of those out too. It sucks that theirs no boutique stuff around here. Theres one dealer locally that gets bogner stuff. I've been waiting almost a year for them to get a ubershall in, so I can try it.

9. bobbtoz

10. Ronstrat63

Ronstrat63 Member

I have a Shiva and have found that the Zak Wilde pedal works very well infront of the amp to get a bit more drive and dimentionality on the dirty channel. You may find that you get the grind you need out of the amp for about $100.

Keep the drive control on the pedal below 10 o'clock for best results.

It is interesting because I bought the pedel to goose my Marshall and it does not work for me at all in this situation. Infact I can't get the ZW to sound good with any other of the 12 amps I own. Go figure.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

HI , I don't know where you live but your profile says Upstate NY .. If it's around Albany , Parkway has stuff, and so does the ONly Guitar Shop.. They had Bogners last time I was there. Have fun

ERIC

12. ericb

HI , 1st post , and it was a great one! :) I have over 20 amps and probably about 40-50 pedals. OD and Distortions mate with certain amps WAY BETTER than others. I've preached this on the net for years.. Every time someone asks what the best od or distortion is , the answers are basically moot unless someone uses the same amp as the recommender AND has the same playing style and taste. I have pedals that ARE THE BEST with 1 amp that suck with loads of others, etc exactly like you've found. I also have found many pedals that many consider "The best" to really suck! :)

ERIC

13. bobbtoz

Parkway has some cool stuff, but the closest they come to boutique is mesa boogie. Although they just informed me they'll be getting some Dr. Z amps.

The only guitar shop is the place I'm talking about regarding the uberschall. There both cool places but no cool boutique gear.

14. bobbtoz

This is true.

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

80s metal? The JCM800 is the gold standard for that. A Splawn or VooDoo or Cameron Marshall is what I'd buy for that .....

16. ericb

Mike I've had a jcm800 2204 since 1985 or so . They don't do metal. Yea right you say!!! Well , without help they really don't have the gain . EVERYONE and their brother got them modded to play metal with OR used Tube Screamer type pedals or SD1's etc.. Then they do.. Ez enough huh!! Anyway they're killer , TOTALLY DURABLE TANK amps and way too loud for most people these days, but modded or with pedals they're great. Most guys I knew in the 80's used H&K preamps or ADA preamps into either amps' returns or power amps, OR PEavey amps, or modded Marshalls for metal .. Lots of great and easy choices. I miss Nuno and Vito and Randy and Uli and Jason B.etc! boohoo...
    ERIC:dude