Compare the Vox AC4HW1 to AC15HW1 or AC15HW1X

Glitch Magnet

Well, I just found a great deal on a used mint Blues Cube Hot British EL84 Edition with warranty. Guess I'll be dipping my toes in the solid state emulation pond. I'll report back with results.
I hope you find what you're looking for.
Well, the Blues Cube Hot Brit is not the solution. It has some of the Vox breakup character, but none of the chime. I had to run the treble fully up and the midrange fully down, and it still sounded boxy and dark.

I played a little Chinese AC4 today that was much better and closer to an AC15. I'll probably get one, and probably a Tech 21 Liverpool for headphone playing. Eager to try the UA OX when they finally come out too.

Glitch Magnet

If you like the AC4 you should try to AC10. It sounds much bigger than the AC4.
Yeah, with either the AC4 or AC10, I'm just concerned I'm still going to have the same issues with dirt pedals sounding fizzy at bedroom levels. Sad to say, I think I'm looking at something more like an AV series or even the Adio GT.

Shawnee

Silver Supporting Member
You should be able to try the AC10 at a local guitar center. It would be worth a try.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
The AC10 is a very good choice and can be run at reasonable volumes for playing at home. I believe that it is top boost only.

Ironically, your best choice from a sound perspective might be a Vox AC30 with a good master volume. Any recent production model should take you there, except for the Heritage Handwired series, which is NMV. It will work better with pedals than the 10 or the 15.

Will it come into its full glory at bedroom levels? Of course not. I am just putting this out there as a solution I had enjoyed for a number of months. It really sounded great a low volumes, especially compared to the AC4TV that I had. Yuck.

blaster

I had the AC4HW-1 and while it is a cool looking amp, it was boxy, had no bottom end, and I sold it. I did purchase the AC10 which was a big improvement over the AC4HW-1, even though it wasn't hardwired.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I had the AC4HW-1 and while it is a cool looking amp, it was boxy, had no bottom end, and I sold it. I did purchase the AC10 which was a big improvement over the AC4HW-1, even though it wasn't hardwired.
My AC4HW1 sounds quite good through a 2x12 with Blues. An output transformer upgrade to Mercury can add some lows as well. But generally speaking… it's 4 Watts Single Ended Class A. "No bottom end" is part of its sound. An AC4HW1 is no AC30 but it is a good sound. I find my AC4HW1 particularly good for lead tones or when you need a lot of (tube) compression. It's also great for turning up and not having chairs vibrate across the room, like an AC30. Would I use an AC4 as my only amp? Nah. It's a fun amp for practice and recording but I'd go for an AC30 if I could have just one amp.

That said, AC10s, AC15s, AC50s, etc are also cool in their own ways.

mro87

I have both an AC15HWx and an AC4HW. For home playing at edge of break up for cleans and dirtier the AC4HW is very good. It will not replace the AC15HWX but i think it will do what you are looking for. I also have the 2 x 12 cab and both amps are improved with it. Agree with the previous poster.

Trending Topics