Compare these reverb pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Super Locrian, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Looking for a mid-priced reverb pedal (budget range $150-180). So far, these are on my shortlist:

• Digitech Polara
    • EHX Holy Grail Max
    • Keeley Aurora
    • Keeley Nocturner
    • Keeley Gold Star
    • MXR M300 Digital Reverb
    • Neunaber Wet Mono
    • TC Hall of Fame
    • TC T2
    • TC Arena
    What I need, is high quality Spring, Hall and Plate sounds without weird digital artifacts. Preferably tweakable to some degree. Not into shimmer or other "dreamy ambient" sounds, I just want to create some realistic ambience. I am not ready to shell out $300 or more for any of the flagship reverb pedals.

So, for those of you who have tried/owned/compared 2 or more of the listed pedals, please tell me which one you preferred and why! :)

2. jawajt

jawajt Member

I've owned few reverb pedals in the past:

EHX Holy Grail
    TC Trinity (V1)
    Malekko Spring
    Van Amps Sole Mate

But since I got my Polara, I'm done looking. I specifically got it because of the great Spring emulation it does. It really sounds natural. And it can really get that "drip" of a Spring reverb that I've never heard done better in a pedal. The Plate setting is fantastic too. I think all the settings on it sound very authentic and natural, especially in a band setting. I know there are other reverbs that may do one of these sounds "better". But the fact that the Polara does ALL of these sounds really well, has stereo outs, and wasn't a fortune, made it a no-brainer to me. Very happy with it.

3. m0b1liz3

m0b1liz3 Member

Spring will be where you run into issues. Neunaber doesn't do spring. The Immerse has a spring setting but that is not a strong point of that pedal. The plate is not bad on the Immerse. Wet has great tone. I wish I had never sold my old simple 2 knob variant.

MXR M300 demos sound awesome but it still isn't available on their own site. I would guess it would be the most likely to have a good PAD/Plate since MXR was involved in plate reverbs way back. Also most likely to have a good spring since it is the newest and you would hope they did a good job. But that is all speculation.
    Keeley tends not to get mentioned much on the reverb threads. But doesn't mean they are not good. Just not a common verb choice.

JPIndustrie likes this.
  4. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

Polara is awesome, you won't regret buying it!

5. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

I'm only familiar with the Holy Grail and the HOF. The Holy Grail I found to be both clunky and noisy and requires its own power supply. Not a fan.

The HOF is a great pedal. Very flexible. Be forewarned, though, that not everyone is a fan of its built in Spring setting. (Plate and Room are excellent.) I ended up tailoring my own Spring setting, mostly by removing the chorusing effect that they had layered on top. I also downloaded one called Robben Ford Air that I'm using as my Spring currently. (As an aside, I was watching a Bill Frisell concert the other day and noticed a HOF on his pedalboard.)

I've heard good things about the Polara.

6. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

Catalinbread - Topanga < my fav spring reverb

Catalinbread - Talisman < my fav plate reverb

But if I could have only one reverb pedal on my board, then my choice is easily the Polara.

Good thing is, we all have different taste...

7. drmatty

drmatty Member

+1 for topanga. Great spring reverb!!

Katzenkönig and bullet6759 like this.
  8. minty901

minty901 Member

Scratch the TC and Neunaber reverbs off your list. They don't do good spring and the T2 is especially "weird" and definitely not what you say you're look for. For spring, hall and plate I think the Holy Grail Max might be a really good option. I used to have it and I remember it being good but I got rid of it as it isn't stereo.

9. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

Digitech Polara. It will inspire you.

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  10. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

I like my T2 a lot, but it's all about weird and over-the-top reverb.

I didn't like the Wet much.

Of these, I'd wait for the MXR, sounds great on demos, and I'd get a used RV-7 meanwhile.

11. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Yes, you are right, I see that particularly the T2 is not for me. I would like to see a shootout between the Polara and the Holy Grail Max, at the moment I'm leaning towards the Polara.

As for Catalinbread, if they would put the Topanga and Talisman in a single pedal (I'm sure it's technically doable), I'd seriously consider increasing my budget. They know good tone for sure, but I don't want to support their current policy of limiting each pedal to one (type of) sound.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  12. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Another Polara vote here. Fits your budget, and excels at spring. From your list, I prefer the WET for everything else, though.

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  13. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Realistic reverb = rack reverb
    you can't possibly tweak ANY pedal reverb to decent environments simulations as you have no access to what is needed for that:
    -early reflections
    -diffusion
    -size
    -spread
    -several other parameters that correlate delays with size and generate correct reverb envelopes

what you call "reverb" in a pedal is just a tail, NOT a space!
    You have cheap and great choices in the rack used market.
    If you really care about verb... there is your solution.

marpa94 and Root5150 like this.
  14. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

Keep in mind it seems some speak of the issues of the old EH big box models as if they they are the current versions which are now pedal board and power friendly.

15. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I know you wanted input from users who had tried at least two of the pedals but I got lucky on the first try and have been loving my TGP recommended Keeley Aurora.

In the past I've only used reverb very sparingly but lately have been enjoying it more and more with the lushness and musicality in the Aurora, plus it comes with a slapback control which is nice for drier tones with the extra dimension that slap offers.

la noise likes this.
  16. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

You should add Dr Scientist RRR if ur wanting all that. IMO it beats all those

am83 and Clean Channel like this.
  17. sleewell

sleewell Member

really want to try the keeley gold star. love my caverns and think it would be a good addition to my board.

18. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

For the record - I ended up ordering 2 Catalinbread pedals, the Adineko and the Talisman. So much for my strength of character. :D I was just blown away by the sounds in these 2, based on the Youtube demos. Hoping they will not disappoint.

musica23 likes this.
  19. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Subdecay Super Spring Reverb has top notch spring and room verb. Yeah, you might need a little patience to get one used within your budget, but you can find them. Only get it if you don't want to look any further.

20. la noise

la noise Member

I've tried a lot of those others and
    have stuck with the Aurora, too.
    No weirdness. Just a good sounding
    basic reverb with 3 modes... and an
    ability to warm up the 'verb so there
    is not too much pinginess. :)

NamaEnsou likes this.