1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Compare: Timmy vs. NOC3 Rock Candy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Staticbuster, May 19, 2011.

1. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

So the recent "why is the timmy so great" thread got me wondering...how similar is the NOC3 Rock Candy Overdrive to the Timmy?

I don't know jack about circuits, but I do know that the things people praise the Timmy for are the same things I love about my RCO..transparent, low to medium gain, more of your "natural" amp tone, etc.

Maybe Paul C and Nick could chime in on this, but I also would like to hear the opinions of people who've played both.

2. vesper

vesper Member

I own both and use both on my board. I find the Timmy a bit more transparent than the Rock Candy and it has a little bit more gain available. The RC cleans up more with just your pick attack and seems to be a little more warmer and is a tad smoother than the Timmy. Stack the RC into the Timmy and you get overdrive heaven.

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

^Cool! Thanks for the reply, that gives a really good jumping-off point. I've always wondered if I'd like to have a Timmy. It sounds like they work really nice with Voxes, which is what I use. I'm not sure if I need both really. I use the Rock Candy to get a little more out of the amp, which I run with just a touch of hair if I really dig in. For leads I use an FD2 to get a compressed, sustaining tone. With the RCO and the Timmy stacked, can they get into that sort of TS territory, or is the combo lacking in compression?

4. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I own both. The Timmy doesn't do anything for me - I find it muddy and brittle sounding. I love the idea behind the EQ, but unfortunately even when I run the pedal clean it still makes things muddy compared to the bypassed tone.

The Rock Candy, on the other hand, is my favorite low-mid gain drive. Wonderfully responsive, natural, and amp-like, excellent clean-up with both pick dynamics and volume knob adjustments. I use it for everything from just a little hair to a moderate crunch. For me, the Rock Candy was everything I had hoped to get from the Timmy.

I too would be interested in hearing what people are stacking with the Rock Candy. It takes fuzzes superbly (I've used half a dozen different fuzzes with it and they all sound great), but I'd love to find a good boost/OD to push it to a heavier tone without going all the way into fuzz territory.

5. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

What type amp do you use? The only people i have ever heard complain about a Timmy being muddy have been using Solid State amps or or amps like the Vox Valvetronix series..
    The only negative i have found with the Timmy for a low gain pedal it does not push pedals well..With this said it sounds great when being pushed..

6. tjs

tjs Senior Member

And actually what I'd really love is for Nick to make a higher gain version of the Rock Candy. Apply the same concepts that he used for the Rock Candy, but have enough gain to handle (classic) hard rock. THAT would be a great partner for the Rock Candy.

7. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Mostly a couple of low power Bassman/JTM-45 clones. I've also tried it with a few different Fenders (ranging from a Princeton Reverb to a Twin) and an AC-15. Trust me, it's not the amps.

8. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Tjs, have you tried the NOC3 Firefly? Its a little different from the RCO, but perhaps stacking the two could get the gain up there. The Firefly is discontinued, but they pop up on ebay. Its was a pretty neat pedal too, on of the higher gain NOC3 pedals I've played.

9. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

The Rock Candy is one of the most underrated overdrive pedals I've had the pleasure of playing. I can't compare it to the Timmy, but on it's own merrit it's a fantastic pedal. It has a great EQ and the switch is also one of the most useful filters I've seen on an overdrive. On most drives, there's one position that really works for you but I was constantly changing the setting trying to decide what mode I liked better. I'm glad to finally see the Rock Candy getting a little love!

10. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

Any decent clean boost will do the trick. Something with some eq control or a variable treble boost would probably be ideal as it would allow you to reduce the bass going in to the Rock Candy to help keep things tight if you want a lot of gain. Also keep in mind that if you use a dirty boost then you wont be able to clean up your signal with the volume knob as much. The Rock Candy can take a lot of volume at the input.

11. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. The one clean boost I tried that surprisingly didn't work very well (surprising because it sounds amazing with everything else I've used it with) is a Klone clone. I don't know if it's an issue with the Klone's buffer not playing well with the RC or if Klone's midrange hump just works better running into a more saturated pedal.

Wonder if a Rat or Dist+ on a lower gain setting might do the trick. That might just give me the growl I'm looking for.

12. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Thanks for chiming in Nick! I sometimes stack my FD2 into the RCO, but hadn't thought about really slamming the front end. I'll have to try it with my MXR/CAE boost, that thing can give one helluva boost, so it should be interesting!

Thanks for one great pedal, plus the 'bold as love' graphic is awesome!

13. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I am resurrecting this thread since I have a Rock Candy on the way. I plan on using it as my main crunchy rhythm tone. For a heavier crunch I am going to hit it with a Red Llama or WIIO.

Using a Tele and Goodsell super 17

14. tjs

tjs Senior Member

You'll love it - the Rock Candy LOVES tele bridge pickups.

15. tjb4233

tjb4233 Member

Timmy has more volume, gain, and control. Just overall a much better pedal having owned both

16. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I'm not 100% loving it so far. I need to tweak a little more. Not enought gain and a little shrill sounding so far. I am not noticing a huge difference with the switch?

Anyone have some settings I should try?

17. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

To be honest, I couldn't really find that many similarities between the two. The Rock Candy had a distinct coloration to it, more high end similar to a BB, the Timmy is just more of what your guitar sounds like.