Compare Two-Rock Jet and Bogner Goldfinger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fernando, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

Thinking about these amps as apartment amps, to be played in low volumes with an attenuator. Rehearsing with a band is likely in the future but not a current reality. Favoring the 1x12 combo versions. I play blues and rock of many different flavors, but mostly alternative. Looking for Fender cleans and Marshall crunch. Can anyone compare the two or give informed insight on any one of them?

Thanks!

2. Fernando

Fernando Member

Anyone?

I was aso curious about the Divided by 13 EDT, as I read it's also good at the fender/marshall thing.

By the way, I am well aware that these are all LOUD amps and that they will all sound better at high volume. So one of the questions is really how well (even though not ideally) do they perform at low volumes, attenuated if needed?

Thanks guys.

3. losangeles33

losangeles33 Supporting Member

I've owned until recently both the EDT and the Jet Sig. Both are outstanding amps but the Jet Sig wins for overall tone and versatility. I totally regret selling the Jet and will absolutely buy the next one that comes up for sale. The Jet also works well as an apartment amp. The EDT is also a great amp but I wouldn't classify it as a 'fender' type sound; but having said that, its cleans are outstanding and excellent reverb, I've owned two EDT's. I didn't find much difference between the a/ab settings on the EDT and in order to get any sort of gain you really have to push it (loud)... If I were you, I'd get the Jet. You'll not regret it. Fender cleans and Marshallesque crunch.

4. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I have a Goldfinger that I play using a Rivera Rock Crusher. Great, great amp. But to compare it to the Jet is hard, as they are different beasts. I've played a lot of Two Rocks, and think the Jet is a very nice amp. But the Goldfinger has more versitility ( Pre & Post FX loops, multi-watt settings, boosts on both channels) and the clean side is beautiful ( on par with the TS-1 IMO).

But I will caution you that to get the very best tone from a Goldfinger that you need to use the Goldfinger 2x12 Celestion mis-matched cab. Much better than the combo version with the single V30. If your heart is set on a combo, then the Jet might be your better option.

Hopefully you get a chance to play both, as your ears are the only judge that matters.

5. 64 burst

64 burst Member

I have a Jet 35 watt (pre-PBG so it's not the sig and right now it has 6L6's, not 6v6's). I wouldn't call it an 'apartment' amp by any means. The clean channel is fine, but to get the lead channel to really sing you need the clean channel master up around 11:00 at least. At that volume I think you are in the range to compete with the drummer. I, however, do not have the combo, and the volume I am talking about is through the 1 x 12 cab and 2 x 12 cab's respectively. Maybe with an attenuator, but I am not familiar with how those work.

6. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I have the GF 1 x 12 combo. It's heavy-not any more than a Shiva or Mesa Lonestar or a Chieftain 1 x 12 combo, but it's heavy.

I would not consider it a Fenderesque type of clean; it's much more a plexi, more jangly clean than the typical Fender clean. It's a superb clean, but I would not decribe it as Fender-like. DEFINITELY not tweed like, with the 6V6's.

The more I play the GF, the more I think I can define it and I realize how unique it is. Plexi flavored, 2 channel, with reverb, 4 power options and tons of other flexibility (the boosts, the thin/thick gain control on channel 2, the two Marshall modes on channel 2, etc.)

Not many amps do all of that.

Can't help you with the Two Rock, but it seems to me that if you're looking for a RF/Matt Schofield Dumbly kind of thickness, the GF is not what you'd be looking for. If that is the tone you're looking for. you might consider a Glaswerks Zingaro.

The GF will roar at low volumes using the dirty channel in the lowest power mode, so you may not need attenuator.

My only complaint with the GF is that the dirty channel compresses more than the clean channel even if running the dirty channel fairly clean.

7. Fernando

Fernando Member

allright, this is all very good input, thanks guys. These all seem like such great amps, I think it must really be a matter of getting to play them to decide. I can't seem to find any store in NY that has a GF in stock to be played though.

I was also looking at the Tone King Metropolitan. Seems like a great amp too, with the added benefit of what seems to be very effective power scaling.

8. Fernando

Fernando Member

I this video the person making the video claims the volume he's playing at about 7 minutes into the videos would not interrupt a person speaking on the phone standing next to him. If that's the case I think this is pretty impressive:

9. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

XTC is the only one you can thoroughly enjoy at apartment volumes...