Compare Xotic AC Booster (to RC)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doveman, Oct 11, 2008.

1. doveman

doveman Member

I might use both ...

I have the RC Boost and love what it does to the front end of my signal ... especially at live volumes. I understand the AC is a bit more colored but not a lot ... maybe a Vox-ish tone. I might like to use them both as options on the front end.

Seeing that I'm pretty satisifed with the RC, what can anyone tell me about the AC? What can I expect? OK to directly compare to the RC since I have one ... will help make some sense of it all.

:cool:

2. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Hello,, I run both on my board. The AC has a hell of a lot more gain in it. Its more of an OD than a distortion to me. People say its Voxy but I havent got a clue if thats true,,, I find it very warm. I run the RC into the AC and the sound only gets better. I set my RC's gain at noon into the AC with its gain usually about 3 oclock. Its a great combo,, I recently sold a BB because I found that the RC and AC combo covers the BB well enough. I love the RC first in line stacked into just about any OD so I will always keep that one around.
    Here check out this video of the AC. Its a pretty good representation of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w9Y76gZXUE

3. doveman

doveman Member

Good info ... warmer with more gain than the RC ... able to combine with the RC.

All good so far ... thanks. Any others?

Another thing ... I have a TS-9 that I don't really use ... I think the mid-push is too heavy ... hows the AC compare?

4. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I dont notice any mid push like a typical tubescreamer.
    I think it has a pretty flat spectrum but you have tonal options due to the bass and treble controls. You ought to pick one up on the emporium,, you can normally get them for about $120-130 range. And if you dont like you can all your cash back.

5. doveman

doveman Member

I ended up buying the Xotic BB (instead of the AC). My D'Lite 22/33 sounds good raw and with both the RC and BB running through the OD channel. The RC and BB seem to be transparent when compared to the AC but the BB can give me the harder edged distortion that I need to play some of the covers I'm trying to do.

The nice thing as that both the RC and BB have TREBLE, BASS and LEVEL controls that allow to pick the GAIN I want and balance the two boxes properly with the OD channel. Nice options all around. I think this will work for me ... will find out at rehearsal next week ... at live volumes.