Compared my Maxon OD808 to Ibanez 35th anniversary TS808

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Evan_R, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

Not sure if this is useful news to anyone but I spent a good hour comparing these pedals side by side today and couldn't detect a difference. I figured since there's always threads asking what this and that TS pedal sounds like someone my find this info useful. I played them through my Fender DRRI and my Strat. Both sound awesome and they really rocked when stacked!

[​IMG]

2. scolfax

scolfax Member

Sweet, nice to know!

3. manticorefx

manticorefx Member

The 35th TS808 is actually the same circuit as the original run of Maxon OD808s. Both use a second dual op-amp for input and output buffers, instead of discrete transistors like you'd find in the slightly wider box 808s. The OD808 reissue is actually a TS9 circuit. Both have JRC4558Ds, and everything between the input and output buffers is pretty much the same.

4. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

So they're both actually TS9's?

5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Would love to see a clip of the comparison, especially the stack!

6. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

Im no expert but I dont think this is true

by "this" I mean the current 808's being TS9 spec. I don't think that's true.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. pappafox

pappafox Member

I wanted to bump this thread, as my experience with both pedals is a bit different than the OPs. The most obvious differences are with the gain at zero. I find the 35th clearer (not as much compression), a bit more bass, and not quite as much of a mid honk (though there is definitely some present). I will say as you crank up the gain, the similarities are more evident. Both are very good, but the 35th seems to really shout on single notes above the 12th fret. If, in fact, they share the same internals, it may just boil down to parts tolerances.

Melange likes this.
  8. scolfax

scolfax Member

[​IMG]

9. delay dude

delay dude Member

I thought the OD808 reissue is closer to a TS10?

10. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

According to Analogman's site, it's a TS10. I've owned an OD808 and a standard TS808 and they definitely didn't sound exactly the same.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Where did I put that "here we go again..." meme? :D

The current Maxon OD808 is closer to a TS10, yes - it has the same extra transistor in the bypass path as the TS10 did. When on, though, it's just the same as all the other tube screamers, save for the resistors in the output buffer section. They used the TS-9 values, but switched their positions to make it slightly less noisy.

The Ibanez reissue TS-9 and TS-808 are exactly the same pedal - same circuit board, same pots, same op-amp - again, save for the resistors in the output buffer (in this case, TS-808 vs TS-9 values).

Anyway, these differences are all quite small, and may not be that easy to hear. In fact, the combined result of the +/-5% component tolerances can make two of the same pedal sound more different than two different ones (if that made any sense).

12. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

Interesting. I didn't compare them at low gain, mostly mid and high. I'll definitely try that this weekend.

13. Davidx247

Davidx247 Member

just my humble opinion but i went in to my local guitar shop today and tried out my mates Maxon OD808 with a Ibanez TS808 35th anniversary and a TS9. The anniversary sounded a lot sweeter and a bit more transparent to the OD808 and TS9 and i would sooner get the Maxon over the TS9 they all sound similar but there are differences too, I'm buying the TS808 anniversary on Monday