Compared the Friedman Dirty Shirley 40w head to the Smallbox head today - fun stuff!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sickboy79, Aug 19, 2017.

1. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Another interesting observation. I had my Strymon Timeline and Mobius dialed in perfectly for the Dirty Shirley and find that now with the Small Box I am going to have to reset each setting! They don't sound the same........interesting.

2. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

Love the DS40 with a Knaggs SSC with a 4x12 or 2x12 loaded Scumback speakers (M75 and H75). Tonal Nirvana.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Dirty Shirley for billy g n pearl jam. Sb for 80s

4. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Well this aged well :wave

SgtThump likes this.
  5. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Did u sell ur shirley? As I a DS40 owner of about 6 months I take offensive to people selling there ds40s...... Like we had a bond and they betrayed it lol....... No but seriously I was looking for an amp that would nail zepp. Zz top and most importantly acdc......but could get heavy enough for alice in chains and tool..... While also allowing some rhcp cleans and the DS40 with a 1960b (greenbacks) was the answer for all my needs and wants

jimijimmyjeffy and BrentSP like this.
  6. BrentSP

Yup sold it a while back to fund a mint XTC 20th metal grill. Still have it, BE100 and Smallbox 50.

7. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Yeah to me the earlier vintage template of the DS/jtm45 is more flexible and universal as opposed to being commital to a superlead tone like the SB. I mean that is stellar too. It's just that I prefer the cleans and chameleon aspect of the Bassman infuenced Shirley. And it is fatter with much better bass response. I love tight mid forward plexis, but not all the time for everything. The Shirley can go in any direction, as it shimmers beautifully clean, and you can always subtract bass to get it tight. And you can play fat riffs or full cleans all you want. A DS is arguably, potentially, an amp for all seasons and uses. The SB is not. That's why I have a DS40.

Now what the SB DOES offer is stellar! That was my dilemma, as much of the time I would want exactly what it does. It's versatile, just not like a Bassman, jtm or DS40 is versatile.

There is no better and worse. It's just what all you need from an amp. I needed more versatility of a kind the SB couldn't deliver.

That was the decision process. But in hindsight, the DS also has its own beauty that is amazing in and of itself, like those earliest Marshalls. I've grown more appreciative of it, as I really hadn't been as hip to the Bassman/jtm45 thing as I should have been. I was kind of thinking Marshalls were about superleads. But actually my mind had registered and internalized more bass circuit tonez, and I didn't even know about bass circuits. Turns out that was the Marshall in my head all along. I always liked that kicked in the chest thing that a bass circuit type can do. I just never understood there were different Marshall sounds like I do now.

The DS give me the most access to the whole universe of tones I wanted all along, but didn't know what that meant in terms of amp choices.

8. BrentSP

There’s a 2 channel DS coming out this week at NAMM.

[​IMG]

jimijimmyjeffy and dantahoua like this.
  9. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

That's really interesting as Dave has never made an amp with what appears to be two identical channels, lol. I see the great reason for it, but it's also kind of strange! :)

10. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

It looked like there’s an extra switch on each channel also.

11. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

I'm really curious what those would be. Assuming one is gain structure, I'm guessing the other could be depth/thump frequency, response or preamp voicing based on what he's done on BE Deluxes. I'm leaning toward a preamp voicing switch, since thump freq and response are usually grouped with the presence knob. I think some kind of depth/thump or tight/loose control would be a welcome addition though, since the bottom end response on the DS is kind of polarizing.

EL34 likes this.
  12. BrentSP

The other two amps are the JEL100 Jake E. Lee sig head in red and the updated Steve Stevens SS100 DLX.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  13. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

One is a "deep" or resonance knob and I know there is a bright switch...... I quit watching out if jealousy and envy lol..... I cant justify it but I wish I could lol..... I think with a klone ts and buxom boost u could do everything the twin sister can do...... And don't tell me otherwise.... That said I might inquire about what bells n whistles I can add to mine lol..... While back Dave said he could put me in another gain and master footswitchable for a boost sound but I figured I could get there with a klone or buxom boost..... Really I just don't want to be with out my Shirley for that long..... A day is too much sometimes lol

14. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

What you would lose is the dead nuts ACDC I showed you, and the tones closely related to that IMHO.

But you live on the high gain settings so it might not matter for you. I got way too attached to using the low input, so for me it would be a loss.

The extra switch and knob are both cool though! I need to learn more about the bright switch in particular.

15. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I get a dead nuts acdc tone in the high gain side with volume rolled back a bit on Les paul..... That said its 100 percent dead nuts acdcs live tone..... Album tone it's a bit off where ur settings are really really close to early acdc album tone...... Live Angus has alot more gain (think donnington)..... Anyways I'm happy as hell with my regular dirty shirley as I get all the tones I desire and more with it alone..... With pedals there is no sonic ground I can't cover imo....... Which may or may not be worth much lol

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  16. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I’m on the fence between the two myself.
    Had mini Shirley for a long time and really liked that amp. Now I’m jonesing for the 40, then started contemplating the smallbox. Not sure why because I lived on the cleanest setting. Can the DS 40 cop decent blackface vibe if need be?

17. mmarchi21

mmarchi21 Silver Supporting Member

TGP Dream Team. Would love some advice. I go from clean through edge-of-breakup to 70’s rock but not metal. Looking for more of a vintage vibe and all at home at this point. Mostly edge-of-breakup. What speakers are you guys using with your Shirley or Small Box? I know Friedman has a 4x12 with a mix of Greenbacks and V30’s. I have a 4x10 at home and I’m wondering if I should load it up with 4 G10 Greenbacks. I do have a Sound City 4x12 but it’s so big that I plan to retire it. Or, would you do a 2x12 with G12M Greenbacks? Thanks.

18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

You can get sparkly, shimmering and beautiful cleans but they are not like blackface.

They are more dynamic and present, a bit more like a steel string Martin. To me that is better than blackface, and acoustic guitar is the ultimate cleans model; but maybe I just got sick of fender cleans having owned only Fenders for so long. Now my thing is British cleans. The extra presence combined with reverb sparkles more too.

What I can say is that you can still scoop it and add plenty of grand piano type bass for those beautiful, full chords. You're not missing anything musical.

To me blackface is good for copying traditional jazz guitar tones, but I'm not really chasing those. It's a bit subdued or something, squashed. But that's how a lot of jazz guitarists like it.

If you need blackface plus plexi the SS100 has all that going.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    JackButler likes this.
  19. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

There is a massive amount written on DS speakers here.

20. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I use a quad of reissue greens with my shirley..... It does a great job of making the Shirley sound more superlead like ..... Actually more super bass like imo