Compared the Friedman Dirty Shirley 40w head to the Smallbox head today - fun stuff!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sickboy79, Aug 19, 2017.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Ya, I worded things wrong there, and you’re right. I haven’t played the 40...had the mini and it could easily scratch my clean needs itch. Had to sell a bunch when I purchased a house, slowly rebuilding some “essentials”...one thing I’ve read (have yet to play a 40) is that it sounds great down low as well, which is nice. Hoping it’ll be just a fatter choice. SB is tempting, but anymore I’m pretty much using edge of clean with various od’s for some reason.

2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

It's all about how much you need the tighter mid forward superlead thing the SB does, with superlead cleans.

The SB just doesn't do the other tones I wanted as well, as that's not what it is. The DS sounds great at late night volumes, you just have to dial things in for that scenario.

The DS gets fat enough for those chest kicking tones and grand piano cleans. Plus it helps my strat.

It has a balance of qualities that just works for some people.

JackButler likes this.
  3. JackButler

You had me at, “piano like cleans”!
    I just hope the 40 is a “good” win over the mini that I do liked. Worth the extra coin.

4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

The sound related advantages of the mini are slightly less bigness in the power section (for some not me), better power amp saturation due to low wattage; less circuit feedback for more dirt/touch sensitivity, and more mids due to the el84s.

Otherwise I like the big one. The cleans are much better. If you are playing at edge of breakup a lot, that would certainly be its wheelhouse, though not only that.

I can see needing a brief period of adjustment with the big one.

Hard to beat the mini for what it is, though, for a small, lightweight package. If I had one it would be for quickly grabbing something easy for around town. At home I like the 40 watter as even late night a bit of fullness makes it fun. More immersion.

JackButler likes this.
  5. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I would say it is...... When I abed them the I played the mini first and thought well how could anything be better...... Then I plugged into the 40 and it was game over..... It's just bigger more raw fatter and more 3d sounding..... But the n deciding factors for me was it has that big iron sledge hammer to ur chest thing when u palm mute..... And u can roll back ur guitar volume and still get a clean loud enough to compete with a drummer and no PA..... It just has the headroom...... Sounds more ballsy to me...... Where the mini is like a rabid dog snarling the 40 is like a grizzly bear roaring

jimijimmyjeffy and JackButler like this.
  6. JackButler

Good info guys! See what the next few weeks bring. For some reason, I’m eyeing a Marshall Sv20 as well...why oh why!

7. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Dude the shirleys both eat it alive trust me

JackButler likes this.
  8. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

I'm in on the first batch of Teen Sisters, gotta have two Dirty Blitches in the house :aok