Comparing a Bogner XTC 101b and a Budda sd80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ricker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hi Guys

Looking at maybe a 101b for a few more options and some killer higher gain lead sounds.
    Budda sd80 is my fav amp and love the feel of this amp....

How do you think I would mate with the 101b if I really like the feel and percussive pick attack of the Budda.......?
    Who has had the priviledge of playing both?.........
    What where your impressions??

I already have a Bogner Shiva el34 that is good but I don't really bond with it's feel.
    I find it a bit stiff and fight it a bit........I hope the XTC doesn't have the same feel as the Shiva.
    Also not really that big on the Shiva clean although most seem to love it.
    I find it too clean and stiff.

I'm a blues /Rock/hard rocker lead guitarist that does alot of live gigging and I am the only guitarist in the band.

What are your impressions on the XTC based on my likes and dislikes as far as the Budda and Shiva go???

Thanks Guys

Rick

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I have played both and i have to tell you i love both amps, and i think we might be in the same boat, cause i don't like the Shiva el34 at all.

I must tell you that the blue channel on the XTC is only great, more than great, it is out of this world.

Then again, the SD80 is a beautiful amp with more character than a Chihuahua(sorry, couldn't find a dog with more character than one small chihuahua)

The ecstasy is defined , powerful and it will be noticed, but so is the Budda.

I didn't think the ecstasy was stiff at all, sorry, i am not to good with words.

3. Ricker

Ricker Member

Thanks MacMax

Your words are good........always invaluable info when someone has played both amps.
    How would you compare the Budda and XTC clean with boost or not.??

You must get yourself a 'Chi Wah Wah'.....Guitarist's favourite Dog...he he

Thanks
    Rick

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

say no more
    [​IMG]

i actually didn't have time for the cleans, been a el34 amp i didn't even care try the cleans, for me cleans = 6l6's

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hey Mac
    Those are chihuahuas .....You need to get the Guitar friendly Chi Wah Wah.......

Any others that have tried both of these amps.??
    Rick

6. mangley

mangley Member

[​IMG]

I just added a Superdrive 80 II to my collection. It is more percussive and smoother than the XTC. I like the SDII slightly better for lead tones, but I am still in the honeymoon period. I would not sell the superdrive II for an XTC, but I would sell the Shiva which is as you say a bit "stiff" for my liking.

7. Ricker

Ricker Member

Aaah so that's what my amp collection would look like if I got an XTC..he he

Thanks for the info man.
    How would you compare the clean channels.........not that I'm really focusing on the clean but am looking for a less stiiff clean than the shiva.

How would you compare the 101b's clean to the Buddas clean?

Thanks
    Rick

8. mangley

mangley Member

I have not used the clean much on the XTC. I use it primarily for high gain leads.

I have the El34 Shiva and I really like the cleans, they are as good as the Carr's to my tin(nitus) ears. I find the gain channel on the Shiva to be just a bit under gunned for my tastes.

I have not given the clean on the Budda much time yet to judge it, but I have several hours on the gain channel and find it is very clear and my leads sing and ring out even with the drive only at 1:00.

If you are thinking of swapping the Budda for an XTC then I would play the XTC first. The XTC is great and you would not be disappointed, but I think you will find it is just different and not necessarily better. The XTC does have lots of features and they all make a difference, but I tend to gravitate to the same settings. The Budda is a no brainer to dial in and so really does not need the bells and whistles which is why I am digging it so much.

That said, judging from your comments if you were picking between two amps, I think you would be happier with the XTC over the Shiva because it covers more ground.

Good luck on your tone quest.

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Thanks Mangley

Yeah my Buddas aren't going anywhere.....a no brainer as you said.
    Th Shiva may have to go to fund the XTC...........It's just I don't want the XTC to feel like the Shiva does.
    I'm hoping it has more that Budda feel when playing the amp........That effortless feeling when playing leads....No stiffness or fighting the amp......

It's the feel of the amp that concerns me....as i cannot try before buy....so yeah
    trying to find out from you guys whether the XTC feels like a Budda and not a shiva.

Thanks
    Rick

10. Lution

Lution Member

I sold my 6L6 Shiva to fund the purchase of 101B. It was the right thing to do. I also felt that the Shiva was a little too stiff and fizzy in the OD channel. The 101B was a welcome feeling and very different from a Shiva.

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Dont know anything about Budda...but I own an EL34 Shiva combo, and an Ecstasy Classic head/212 Bogner cab.
    The Shiva is very different from the Ecstasy. The cleans on the classic that I have are just as nice as the Shiva...maybe a bit better. The trick is to max the volume and use the gain as volume control on the clean (green) channel. This may work with the 101B, I dont know. The aforementioned blue channel is the shizz...one of the best gain channels I've ever played through...and destined to become a classic (if it isnt already). Another great feature of the Ecstasy Classic is the red (plexi) channel. I like this one as much as the blue channel...3 very usable channels, a killer efx loop, and more versatility than you can probably handle under one hood. I like the Shiva a whole lot too...but it is different from the Ecstasy. One thing about the Shiva (like alot of amps out there) is you have to crank it a bit in the gain channel to get it to loosen up and smooth the fizz out. One thing the Ecstasy and the Shiva share is the ability to sit perfectly in a live mix. I've heard the Shiva and the Ecstasy in the hands of competent players in a club and a small auditorium...and they both sounded fabulous.
    I dont know how all this stacks up to the sd80, but I've yet to see any amp blow away the Ecstasy Classic in any category...and I've seen a bunch. For my $$$ it's the best Fender/Marshall style channel switcher on the market.

S.
    j

12. Ricker

Ricker Member

Thanks Lution
    and Thanks TNJ Your comments help alot.

Rick

13. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Just got some really bad GAS. Thanks Guys.

14. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I have owned Shivas, an SD80, and XTCs ... my current amp is an XTC Classic. I only play small/medium clubs ... my humble opinions below ...

For hard rock (70s stuff) the Shiva turned up is one of the best classic rock amps made. It is more aggressive, more woody, and can get that slam factor like a HiWatt. But this does make it stiff by comparison to modern high gain amps.

I loved my SD80, it really had the best power tube crunch of any amp I have played ... but the volume at that point was too loud for clubs ... so I bought an Airbrake ... but then my cleans were knocked down too far and were compressed ... so I sent it back to Jeff @ Budda to make the clean channel louder in comparison to the lead channel. But I still could not get it to where I was happy. If cleans don't matter at all, and you only need one channel, it is the best choice. Otherwise it is a difficult task balancing the channels for gigs and maintaining "that" sound ....

Another common complaint about Buddas in general: the volume knob should be relabeled "floodgate"... a small turn results in max volume. Makes it tough setting the volume & sound for different size clubs.

I have been through several XTCs, they are incredible amps, most people would enjoy the 101B with the softer feel on the gain channels. Really one of the best amps ever IMO. But I like a more agressive sound, and the heaviest gain I need is maybe a few VH tunes. So I am sticking with the XTC Classic. The red channel of the XTC Classic has more than enough gain to tap or shred on. The blue channel is still phenominal, it is just more refined, and crunches better than the 101B.

For pure enjoyment, I think the 101B blue channel is maybe the best single channel on any amp. If I had the bucks I would also have a 101B in my stable ... and if I played stadiums I would get my SD80 back ...

15. Ricker

Ricker Member

Tonemeister and Mantrasky
    Thanks for your detailed and informative input

It seems if there is just one general consensus about the XTC it must be that the 101b blue channel is quite something.
    Alot of people talk about the mediocre clean or the overly compressed red or whatever........but nearly every one gives the blue channel it's due.

I would imagine this blue channel is the one that most closely resembles the Budda's drive channel??
    How do they differ and how are they similar guys??

Is the Bogner Blue more classic marshall and the Budda marshall with a boogie twist....seems that way from sound samples.....
    and feel wise is the Blue more compressed than the Budda sd80 or otherway round.??
    More open .....??

So far the info has been great and I'm sure will serve others who do a search for this again in the future......

Cool
    Rick

16. Ricker

Ricker Member