Comparing EV-ETX12P, EV-EKX12P, and QSC-K12

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by timc, May 8, 2016.

1. timc

timc Silver Supporting Member

We are considering downsizing our sound system, from Passive to Powered. I am sorry if this has been discussed, but I cannot find any previous threads on the specific topic. Does anyone have any experience with two or more of the these products? I hear and read a lot about QSC, but we've always used EV, and you just don't hear as much about these two products(EKX/ETX), so I was really curious. I am leaning towards the EKX or ETX...

2. sants

sants Supporting Member

They are all very good and I've used them all but the ekx. For the money I'd look at JBl SRX800 series. You get a 3 inch HF driver in all models which hold up better when pushed and also editing of the DSP if needed.

I own k12's, kw152's and kw181's. They are all fantastic speakers. The ETX are probably the best of the bunch you listed. I was able to compare these all to the JBL srx800 series and ended up buying the srx835 and 828's for larger events. They are personally where I would put my money if I were buying again. IMO they are at the top MI grade/ pro entry systems and compete with speakers double their price.

3. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

The New SRX are considerably more expensive than the other speakers mentioned here. Also I did a shoot out on the SRX800s against my speakers and they did not fare well. they looked good on paper, but not so much in actual use.
    I know every JBL guy will give me a hard time, I own some other JBL stuff. I wanted to like them.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  4. griggsterr

Once you start getting over $1,000 per box on powered tops the choices get pretty thin. You are kind of at the crossroads of MI and touring/ high end.

5. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

FWIW-
    Re: EV EKX-12P
    Guthrie Govan toured North America with the Aristocrats - and on their last tour they used a Behringer X32 mixer and several of these EV EKX-12P's for both FOH and stage monitors

6. The Kid

The Kid Member

I dig the Line 6 L3T / L3M

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Please give a review if you will. I haven't heard of anyone with these boxes yet.

As to the comment a few posts up about ETXs being the top of the MI line, I disagree. I would take them over the SRXs though.

8. The Kid

The Kid Member

Floyd Eye likes this.
  9. griggsterr

I was working for line 6 for a while. and had my hands on the L2T and sometimes the L3T, It was a very versatile thing.
    and the L3T were quite good, and I have used the L2T's as floor wedges a lot.
    All that said, I wanted to be overwhelmed, I wasn't. but I'm probably pretty jaded on the speaker thing.

10. The Kid

The Kid Member

Out of curiosity, in that arena, what has overwhelmed you?

11. griggsterr

Well, It costs so much money that it's not worth going into detail but since you asked.
    Renkus Heinz, IC Live and IC2
    Alcons Audio
    FBT's upper end portable stuff, and line arrays
    Some of the Danley stuff, if you have a semi to haul it in.

The Kid likes this.
  12. griggsterr

Innovox makes some nice stuff and L Acoustics too.

The Kid likes this.
  13. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I have powered tops and bottoms. All JBL PRX600 series. I like the lightweight boxes and they do just what I need. I did an outdoor show for 1500 people with 4 PRX625 tops and 4 single 18s. I was sure this wasn't going to be enough to handle the large outdoor area. But It was perfect, mostly because it was in a downtown area where the road was 30ft wide and tall buildings all down the block. So the buildings acted as kind of a sound tube.

My monitors are JBL PRX615s.

BUT---- I now gig with a Turbosound IP2000. It is small and can handle our 3pc classic rock group just fine for all the gigs we do around town. If we were to go outdoor I would bring some bigger stuff.

A friend of mine has the K12s and they sound great.

14. timc

timc Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses, I have some listening to do now...