• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

comparing rockett dude, zendrive and wiz pedal mini D

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, have all three of these pedals at the moment, and thought I'd compare, the Zen is a clone but it's part for part, so except for component tolerances, it's spot on.
Rockett Dude has tons more bass and low end as well as gain, really sounds huge, the low end can honestly be a bit much with certain amps, I use a tweed style head and I have to be careful not to have the bass up too high or it'll flub a bit, but it just makes this massive tone, great for chords as it keeps the low end defined even when playing complex harmonies. I feel like the mids are more neutral in this pedal, whereas other pedals like the zen have a bit more pronounced midrange.
The zen is a long standing pedal for me, and I love what it does, but compared to the dude, it's got way less gain and doesn't sound quite as full, but in a live mix it really cuts through in all the right places. The voice and tone give you much more control over midrange, something the dude doesn't really offer, though it's not really needed on that pedal. The zen has a bit less gain than the other two pedals too, though cranking the voice can give more perceived drive.
Wiz pedal mini D, this really does nail what I perceive as the "dumble" sound in my head. It's very close to the zen, with a touch more low mids, and the top end has this presence that cuts without being harsh. I really can't find any complaint with this pedal at all, but again, the dude dwarfs it in the low end department. I plan on hanging on to all three, if anyone wants me to do any different comparisons let me know,
I shot a quick video of the pedals, just an iPhone camera so nothing special, and my video skills are nonexistent, so I apologize in advance for that, but I think it illustrates the differences.
Again, happy to try out certain settings and post them here if anyone wants or needs,
Kurt

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
still really loving these three pedals, it's a bit hard to get used to the amount of low end the dude has, but it sounds huge!! Can't recommend the wiz pedal mini d enough, for that 'mble smooth drive we all love.
Kurt

Banditt

I love my Dude...I don't like that the Switch has a "pop", but I've got it in a loop switcher, so not a big deal right now. Do you other Dude owners all have low-quality switches? Are all the Rokett pedals using that same switch? Love the sound though...It's my Robben "help the poor" lead sound!

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Hey guys, have all three of these pedals at the moment, and thought I'd compare, the Zen is a clone but it's part for part, so except for component tolerances, it's spot on.
Rockett Dude has tons more bass and low end as well as gain, really sounds huge, the low end can honestly be a bit much with certain amps, I use a tweed style head and I have to be careful not to have the bass up too high or it'll flub a bit, but it just makes this massive tone, great for chords as it keeps the low end defined even when playing complex harmonies. I feel like the mids are more neutral in this pedal, whereas other pedals like the zen have a bit more pronounced midrange.
The zen is a long standing pedal for me, and I love what it does, but compared to the dude, it's got way less gain and doesn't sound quite as full, but in a live mix it really cuts through in all the right places. The voice and tone give you much more control over midrange, something the dude doesn't really offer, though it's not really needed on that pedal. The zen has a bit less gain than the other two pedals too, though cranking the voice can give more perceived drive.
Wiz pedal mini D, this really does nail what I perceive as the "dumble" sound in my head. It's very close to the zen, with a touch more low mids, and the top end has this presence that cuts without being harsh. I really can't find any complaint with this pedal at all, but again, the dude dwarfs it in the low end department. I plan on hanging on to all three, if anyone wants me to do any different comparisons let me know,
I shot a quick video of the pedals, just an iPhone camera so nothing special, and my video skills are nonexistent, so I apologize in advance for that, but I think it illustrates the differences.
Again, happy to try out certain settings and post them here if anyone wants or needs,
Kurt

The demo is a reminiscent of "LA at night" style postcards. :)
As for the pedals my choice stays the same even in the dark void. I love my Red Dress and JFET Gold 2 Zen Drives... as well as my Menatone Howie. A lot of cool D-type sounds out of these guys.

Trending Topics