Comparison between Morgan 10PM & DAG15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 72Telecaster, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Wondering if anyone has owned or played both of these combos and how they compare? I believe the DAG is the top boost circuit while the PM is normal channel. Would also be interested to know what speaker(s) the amp was using for the sake of comparisons.

2. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Interested in this as well. Finding as I go that I am more of a normal channel guy...but have always been tempted by the DAG15 too.

Bump for info!

3. MT Buckaroo

MT Buckaroo Silver Supporting Member

Hey guys, I obviously have the 10PM in the Emporium, and as previously discussed with s360, I used to have a DAG15, albeit briefly (didn't bond). I am definitely more of a Normal channel guy (being partial to Teles), and found the DAG15 a bit too bright and edgy. That was with an English made Blue. By contrast, with the same Blue, I can get the 10PM to sit just right tonally with only the interplay between the bright/dark mini toggle and the Cut control. I don't miss the T/M/B controls.

For reference, I also have Dual 20 and pretty much live in the "Normal" EF86 side with the global Cut adjusted to taste. Don't use the pull-bright either.

4. 72Telecaster

Thanks for the response MT ; I too feel like I'm more of a normal channel guy, but like the chime and sparkly top-end but am picky, finding some of the top-boost circuits, with certain speakers get too bright. Good to know the tone stack isn't missed. Wondering if you've tried it with a ceramic - G12H30 or similar. I have a 20Dlx that I've been running through a Gold, but recently picked up a Bad Cat ceramic and the Morgan sounds more lively through that.

5. s360guitarist

^Interesting, IME the Gold can do all that the Blue can, but there is just that little something extra that the Blue delivers. Of course, certain speakers work better with certain amps...

6. 72Telecaster

s360 - yeah, the Gold seems a bit uninspiring compared to a few other speakers I've played...pretty balanced but I agree with your comment , the Blue just kinda jumps out at ya. I really go back and forth between AlNiCo & ceramic...

7. danman

danman Member

When I owned my DAG15 I tried both the G12H30 Heritage and Anniversary. I liked the Anniversary better - I contacted Joe and he recommended it too.

I dunno about it being pure top boost - it's probably loosely based around it. With the cut and power scaling it wasn't hard to find a balanced chime.

8. 72Telecaster

Well, the 10PM is on it's way! After scoping out a few demos, the 10PM seemed bright enough for my tastes w/o sounding thin. Looking forward to trying it out!

9. s360guitarist

Congrats! Keep us posted!

10. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

I own a DAG15 and a customized 10PM Deluxe with the added power scaling and switch to choose between the 12AX7 normal channel and EF86.

The DAG15 with the Celestion Blue is perhaps my favorite amp of all time. I actually traded my old one away before realizing my foolishness and purchasing another. It can indeed be tuned to be much brighter and edgier than the 10PM but I find the controls on the DAG15 ultimately make it more versatile. I rarely use the pull bright switch as I play mostly single coil telecasters and jazzmasters. I get great clean as well as dirty tones from the DAG15.

The 10PM Deluxe (although 10 watts vs. 15) is just as loud as the DAG15 but not quite as versatile. I play mostly on the EF86 channel with the bright switch turned on and the clean headroom is more limited compared to the DAG15. I love how this amp breaks up when pushed. When I spec'd out the custom 10PM Deluxe, I had in mind the ultimate vox-based grab-and-go amp so the combo cab is made from lightweight pine and the speaker is a Celestion Century Vintage neodymium speaker.

Hope this is helpful.

11. 72Telecaster

Got the 10PM in a couple days ago and it is really nice!

Love the size and portability, and also think I'll really appreciate the simplicity of Vol / Tone / Bright. The dark position is quite dark, even with the Cut knob utilized; I think I'll live on the bright setting and adjust the Cut based on the guitar. The highs with a Blue are really nice, not abrasive at all to my ears. I've really only had a chance to play at moderate volumes in my apartment so I'm excited to take it out this weekend and crank it up.