Comparison - Danelectro TO vs Dano Drive vs Barber LTD w/ Mod Board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LPMojoGL, Feb 25, 2009.

1. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

So the Dano pedals have been getting alot of hype lately. I thought I'd check em out. I purchased 4: the Drive, Vibe, Tremolo and Transparent Overdrive.

Tonight, I spent a couple of hours comparing the Dano Drive, Transparent Overdrive and a Barber LTD with mod board. I was surprised to find that I like the Dano Drive the best.

I've had the Barber for quite a while, and have it dialed in for a very open, transparent sound. After all the buzz, I figured the TO would be close, but I find it to be the least transparent pedal out of the three. No matter where the knobs are at, there is always a mid boost with that pedal. It also sounds sort of congested or like the tone is covered, not as open as the LTD. It sounds closer to the Barber v2 without a mod board, but the Barber is more alive with harmonics. The TO has a large volume boost available, but the Barber is louder.

The Dano Drive is an amazing pedal. It has this 3D quiality to it. It will do clean boost to distortion without ever getting fizzy, and cleans up wonderfully with the guitar volume no matter where the gain knob is at. I find this pedal to be more useable than an Analogman or Keeley DS-1, Rat, old Fab distortion or really any distortion pedal I've ever played. The Drive lets more highs through untouched than the LTD or TO. It's also perfect for sticking behind a fuzz, like the McFuzz I used earlier. Like the other two pedals, there is huge volume boost available. The tone gets bassier as the gain is turned up, and thins as the gain goes down. The tone knob lets you get your tone back either way. I really liked pushing the Dano Drive with the LTD, very ballsy distortion sound. I've read that this pedal is based on the OCD and also that it is a TS type pedal. I think it has it's own thing going on, definitely not a TS clone.

So, for the money, the TO is a decent pedal that falls somewhere between TS and LTD (closer to LTD). The LTD is a better built pedal with lots of harmonics and it always pops the guitar sound out in the mix. The mod board allows me to make it more transparent, and makes this the most versatile overdrive pedal I've ever played. The Dano Drive, for $25, is unbelievable. Who cares what it looks like, it's metal, true bypass and it rocks. I'll make a short video sometime this weekend comparing the three if there is any interest.

Bobby

2. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I think the Drive is an amazing clean boost. Or leave it at unity gain for a tone sweetener. And yes, it cleans up really well. I also have the Distortion. Great with hums and pretty good with singles too.

3. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

For info, after 2 weeks of tests, I just sold my Barber LTD SR because I prefer the clarity and the type of clipping of the Transparent Overdrive.

Tested with humbuckers mostly.

4. bluescube

bluescube Member

The TO seems to have a bass rolloff to me, I have to turn the bass up and the treble down with my Palomino V32. Maybe there's a mid hump that's making me think the bass is thinner with it on. Does add some some nice mild grit to my clean channel and thickens the lead channel. Not bad for $42. I think I'd rather have a Boss OD-3 though.

5. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Even upping the bass knob?? I can actually get a bass *boost* out of the TO.

6. LPMojoGL

I'd like to know how the distortion compares to the drive. How does it affect your tone, and how does it compare to say a Rat or DS-1?

I've never played the SR, but after listening to many clips and videos I could tell that I preferred that LTD v2. The SR seemed thin and raspy in comparison.

I find that there is plenty of bass available in the TO. I would never have the bass knob all the way up.

7. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I'm lousy at describing tone but I'll try. The Drive has a big bottom and top end. More modern sounding to me. The Distortion is more balanced and sounds more Marshally/70's. I have a Godin LG with really mid heavy pickups and it sounds Dumble-y with that guitar. I haven't had much experience with Rats or DS-1 pedals. I prefer the Drive with singles and the Distortion with hums.

8. bluescube

bluescube Member

I'll have the Distortion pedal in a few days and may order the Drive as well

9. LPMojoGL

Thanks for the description. 70's Marshall to me = Led Zep, Van Halen, ACDC rock tones. Think I might have to check it out.

Think you'll like the drive. Fun pedal. Tell us what you think of the distortion!