• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Compendium of pedals being discontinued/NOS parts running out

NHguitar88

Hello,
I thought it would be cool to make a thread dedicated to pedals that are being discontinued, pedals that are using chips or transistors that are becoming increasingly rare or are no longer in production, and limited run stuff that are using NOS parts. It's never fun to be out of the loop and realize a pedal that you might have wanted to buy is now being sold for a hefty sum because it's not being made anymore.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
I think you'd do better to make a list of those components that are/getting scarce first.

From there, you can make the list.
Doing it the other way around may be fraught with danger, misinformation, fan-boi attacks, etc.

Reactions: Rod

Jazzandmore

I think you'd do better to make a list of those components that are/getting scarce first.

From there, you can make the list.
Doing it the other way around may be fraught with danger, misinformation, fan-boi attacks, etc.
And definitely attacks from haters. People that seem to have endless anger over what others spend.

I don’t think Spaceman is making the Voyager anymore. And I don’t think the Ultra Vibe II will be made again. This is #14 built by the man himself if I’m not mistaken.

And the PTD stuff is hard to get anymore.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Basically everything Analogman makes. But he’s good about finding substitute parts that are equally as rare, so you end up buying 12 pedals because you don’t want to miss out on the tonez. Damn you Mike!
Boy, ain’t that the truth.. love my Analogmans....

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm sure there's a difference between "hard to get" like Trombetta and the KOT, and "can't get any more" like NKT275 based fuzzes. So, yeah, parts:

1. Panasonic BBDs-the Xvive version of the 3005 seems pretty good, so the delays should be OK. But chorus/flangers are probably going to run out. The Cool Audio chips are work alike, anyway, and will probably mean that the individual pedals will keep on, albeit modded somewhat. So, for example, I don't see Boss stopping the CE-2 or BF-2.

2. Reticon BBD chips-the SAD chips are long gone, of course, but some manufacturers have been using 90s Reticon BBDs which are much easier to come by. Do they sound exactly the same? I dunno. Will they run out, too? Yes. Is there someone going to build a new version? Unlikely, because the dies are gone, unlike the Panasonic chips.

3. Individual transistors-if you believe in mojo rather than good matching, then the current unavailability of the 275, and the eventual loss of Mullard OC81s means some sounds will be gone forever. If you don't believe in mojo, then any well matched set of transistors should sound good.

4. LDRs-the originals are long gone. Obviously people still build LDRs, and devices with them in seem to work well, but there are those who argue that the original Univibe, for example, is defined by the LDR in part. Some builders are actually making their own to try and match the curve better. Since these are used in studio devices like LA2A compressor, where performance is really critical, I don't think that good quality is unobtainable.

5. Tube devices-are modern 12AX7s in pedals as good as vintage ones? discuss...

6. Transformers-can modern metallurgy replicate the sometimes bad construction of old devices?

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
3. Individual transistors-if you believe in mojo rather than good matching, then the current unavailability of the 275, and the eventual loss of Mullard OC81s means some sounds will be gone forever. If you don't believe in mojo, then any well matched set of transistors should sound good.
So, either one believes in “mojo,” or “good” means “the same?”

Scott SG

Silver Supporting Member
Why though?

have we really lost the technical know how to continue making these parts? Why were we once able to create these but now cannot?

I blame the solid state

FOTM704

Why though?

have we really lost the technical know how to continue making these parts? Why were we once able to create these but now cannot?

I blame the solid state
A lot of it has to do with RoHS
Also, SMT components and robotics have made thru-hole parts effectively obsolete outside of niche markets like guitar pedals

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
So, either one believes in “mojo,” or “good” means “the same?”
I can parse out the difference between the construction/parts of a pedal and the transistors. Not only do I not have the ear, but I don't have the breadboard set up to do that. So I don't really know if mojo exists or if you match the transistors and the cap/resistor values properly you get the same sound. And I know that a lot of the builders don't agree with each other about this either. That's what I was trying to say.

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
Gold Supporting Member
The Analogman Sunface with TI/UK transistors. The supply of those great sounding late 1960's Texas Instruments Germanium trannies have been exhausted sadly.

NHguitar88

this is a terrible idea and the thread will derail. have fun.
It wasn't my intention to create a negative thread, as certain parts and transistors become increasingly hard to find I thought a place where people could have a discussion about these matters was relevant.

tonedover

It wasn't my intention to create a negative thread, as certain parts and transistors become increasingly hard to find I thought a place where people could have a discussion about these matters was relevant.
Sorry i should have added an emoji to indicate i was “having fun” when typing that - it wasnt meant to be ACTUALLY negative - more tongue in cheek

Regards!

Trending Topics