• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

compensated saddles with grooves for tele

jimboslow

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Smitty tele which already has brass compensated saddles, but here are 2 problems that I hope the right saddles will solve. First, the high e string keeps slipping toward the neck edge and the b string slips in the opposite direction. Second, I can't seem to get rid of the annoying sitar effect on my high e string. It must be saddle related because I get this annoying buzzing overtone all the way up the neck. I found these Gotoh compensated grooved saddles that seem to be just what I need, but the middle saddle should be reversed to be correct. I have called StewMac and they were not able to confirm if they are as pictured or if one saddle might be reversed.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...H5po-MFvz7Z_kiLLlMenjhlyNcO2CgtDTZxoC7yzw_wcB

Looking for the right saddles and could use some recommendations.

AtomicBlaze

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Smitty tele which already has brass compensated saddles, but here are 2 problems that I hope the right saddles will solve. First, the high e string keeps slipping toward the neck edge and the b string slips in the opposite direction. Second, I can't seem to get rid of the annoying sitar effect on my high e string. It must be saddle related because I get this annoying buzzing overtone all the way up the neck. I found these Gotoh compensated grooved saddles that seem to be just what I need, but the middle saddle should be reversed to be correct. I have called StewMac and they were not able to confirm if they are as pictured or if one saddle might be reversed.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...H5po-MFvz7Z_kiLLlMenjhlyNcO2CgtDTZxoC7yzw_wcB

Looking for the right saddles and could use some recommendations.
I think you need to reverse one on your own. I got one for my American Special and those saddles are a huge upgrade for intonation. I just ordered another set for my Baja Tele that I have coming in the mail. I hated the standard saddles they would move all around and couldn't keep the spacing between strings even.

I love the citar sound, can only hear it unplugged.

My B & E strings would wear grooves in the soft brass and then it would be in full blown citar mode. I would take a dremel and smooth out the brass removing the divet (saw Fender Custom worker using the dremel trick).

After several times I put threaded saddles on it and I'm not going back. No more string spacing issues either.

My B string would always hit the height adjustment screw, drove me nut. I'd move it away, it would come back. Another thing threaded saddles cured.

jimboslow

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the feedback. Looking at the pic it seems that reversing the middle saddle won't change the string contact point. Perhaps they can be flipped upside down? Are they usable on both sides? I figured they were just round on the bottom.

C-4

Most Tele saddles for vintage Tele bridges are flat on the bottom. If your Tele doesn't have grooved spacing for the strings, the Rutters saddles will fix that problem fast.

gsh1968

Thanks for the feedback. Looking at the pic it seems that reversing the middle saddle won't change the string contact point. Perhaps they can be flipped upside down? Are they usable on both sides? I figured they were just round on the bottom.
The Gotoh saddles are all reversible - each saddle has opposite stagger on the "other" side, so all saddles can be used in any position and any 3 can be used for a righty or lefty.
The StewMac pic is one saddle 3 times.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I just switched to some saddles from Marc Rutters on my Tele. Compensated, grooved, cold rolled steel. They helped the issue I was having with string slipping, and can deal with the "sawing" motion from the Bigsby. His stuff is worth checking out. http://ruttersguitars.com/home.html
I did the same thing... actually, I bought the whole bridge from Rutters.. a huge upgrade to my Tele both in tone and stability....it's by far the best sounding Telecaster I've ever owned, and I had a bunch of them from the 50's and 60's.. body and neck ar Warmoth.. View media item 50432View media item 50431

jay42

Suhr uses a Wilkinson 3...looks funny up-close, but does it matter?

[edit] I just looked and it doesn't show on the internet...just on Suhr guitars.

Last edited:

jimboslow

Silver Supporting Member
The Gotoh saddles are all reversible - each saddle has opposite stagger on the "other" side, so all saddles can be used in any position and any 3 can be used for a righty or lefty.
The StewMac pic is one saddle 3 times

The StewMac pic is one saddle 3 times.
Really good info, much appreciatef.

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
I used Callaham brass "enhanced" saddles, which are shaped to stop the string slippage, but the grooving is just part of what you get with brass. That said, I prefer the brass sound.

jimboslow

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the great feedback. I decided to go with the Rutters brass straight comp saddles. The extra $20 seemed worth it to support a small USA company and they just seemed a little more refined as well. Peace.

tbrook

I know you already bought, but I can also recommend the Rutters slot compensated saddles. You won't be disappointed. Put a set of brass ones on my Road Worn Tele and love them. Plus, they have aged nicely.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom