compensated wrap around bridge for 64 SG Jr?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Furious George, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Furious George

Furious George Supporting Member

Looking for aftermarket compensated wraparound bridge for 64 SG Jr. Would really like chrome over brass. Does such a beast exist? Cheers!

2. 71strat

71strat Member

Its not chrome over Brass but Pigtail Bridges are my 1st and last stop for Gibson type bridges. Be they wrap around or ABR Style.

I use the complete assemblies including Posts ect.

www.pigtailmusic.com

3. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'm not affiliated, but Dan @ Mojoaxe did make me a custom "compensated" wrap around to fit my 53 LP Goldtop. Got the studs/anchors, etc as well.

He does a great job with handling questions and advising you on what to get and why.

http://www.mojoaxe.com/

5. G Man

G Man Member

6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

yeah, hit up mojoaxe. I'm pretty sure he could make a chrome lightning bolt wraparound, not sure about the brass, though. I love the one on my '62 SG.

7. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. rdluft

rdluft Member

Pigtail with Tone Pros locking studs. Made my LP Melody Maker into a great playing instrument . . . .

9. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

I've been through a few different bridges on my wraparound SG: Pigtail, Badass, Gibson Lightning bar, Wilkinson/Gotoh Compensator.

between all these, I kept the Lightning bar bridge. The Pigtail and Badass brought some extra "zing" and sparkle to the tone (they actually sounded very similar), the Wilkinson/Gotoh had that "junior" character with a bit more body to it and slightly extra sustain. Sounded nice but my SG already sounds fat enough to my tastes.

The Lightning bar has that something special that none of the others had (really that old "junior" character with a very fast almost percussive attack and slight bump in the lower-mids). Don't know if it's the construction or the materials used.

Honestly all are nicely made, it just depends on what you're looking after. If I remember well, Mojoaxe makes a compensated Lightning bar with what seems to be a little more mass to it. If that's the case, that's definitely what I would go for!

10. meanmud

meanmud Member

11. sws1

sws1 Member

Pigtail has the most vintage accurate metal composition, if that's important. If you want a different tone, pick different metals.

12. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The old ones were zinc, right? I know the mojoaxe and my original lightning bolt were very similar in weight and tone.

13. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

Just looked at the MojoAxe site. They look great!

14. Furious George

Great resources, everyone. Thanks!

15. neutronrobot

neutronrobot Member

[​IMG]

I replaced my original bridge on my '64 Junior with the MojoAxe CWT60-A Compensated 60's Wraparound Tailpiece. Not only did it get rid of the "sitar buzz" the original bridge sometimes had, but it looked as old as the rest of the guitar!
    My tech also suggested I replace the studs with Tone Pro locking studs while I was at it.
    http://www.tonepros.com/ss1-tonepros-standard-locking-studs/

Not sure if that was completely necessary, but probably makes things more stable and doesn't change the look of the guitar.

I would strongly recommend the MojoAxe bridge. It eliminated any buzz and intonation problems, gave it a bit more sustain, and looks period correct for the age of the guitar.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

MojoAxe Makes great freaking bridges, Faber stuff is real nice but the design does kind of look a little funky.

17. Furious George

Yes, I'm running into the sitar effect on the G string. Apparently because it traditionally took a wound G string. Thanks!

18. Furious George

mojoaxe bridge worked perfectly. thanks, everyone!