Competitors to Timmy or TC Spark for transparently adding gain/dirt to other drives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phosphenetre, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

I have a couple of drive pedals that I really like, especially set as medium gain drives, but need to find a pedal that can act as a transparent extra 'gain stage', to transparently add more gain, drive and saturation to these pedals without changing the basic character of the tone, EQ and drive structure.

So not just a clean boost, but a pedal that can add its own transparent drive/dirt to an existing drive pedal, to result in the same original flavour, just with more gain.

The TC Spark Booster (not the mini) seems to be designed to do this, and is quite affordable. What are the other options for pedals that can serve this function, and equally importantly, how do they directly compare to the TC Spark Booster in transparency, tone and functionality?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I've used a few - including the TC Spark Booster - for this, but ones I've liked better than the TC, either because of a little more versatility or nicer light crunch tone, include the JHS Morning Glory, Emerson Em Drive, and Wampler Euphoria. The Euphoria is more of its own thing, and introduces more options for drive, but still very transparent. The Emerson is the same basic range as the TC, but I like the dynamics in it better and the crunch sounds more natural, open feeling. The JHS to me does what the Em does pretty well, plus adds a lot more gain range and clipping option.

I went from a VS True Tone Boost first, to the TC, then to the Em, and now to the JHS for that spot and duty on my board FWIW. Worth a look anyway.

3. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

Never owned the TC, but I use a Timmy for what you're doing.

4. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Thanks, I'll look into those options. The Morning Glory looks interesting.

Any opinions on how the legendary Timmy directly compares to the Spark Booster?

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have a Tim and added a Mad Professor Simble. The Simble covers everthing else I need. It is the most transparent pedal next to a clean boost that I have heard.

7. Fendegibs

Fendegibs Member

JHS morning glory is what came to mind for me as well. That's exactly how I use it (with a Timmy and with a klone).

8. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

Two pedals you might want to consider are the Mooer Pure Boost (an RC Boost clone, and a pretty good one), and the Vick Audio Overdriver. The latter is a really good clone of the Colorsound Overdriver, but with an output level control. It can do clean boost to overdrive to fuzz. There is a nice review at Gilmourish.com. Vick Audio makes great pedals, and very reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Mooer Blues Crab (BB clone, like the Morning Glory) and Mad Professor Ruby Red Booster.

10. Dubious

Dubious Member

Boss blues driver with the gain off

FenderBigot and songtalk like this.
  11. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

The TC Spark is one of the best all-rounders in my opinion - does great EQ/boost/low-gain all in one quiet, low power box.

Consider the Fulltone FatBoost too.

12. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Resurrecting this thread for the exact same reason as the OP. I have modded Marshall amps and set them to mid-gain and then use a boost to put them in to tight metal territory ala 80s and 90s like Ratt to Alice in Chains, early Tool. Do these pedals make the amps 'tighter' in this application?

Also, how are the toggle switches different? I know the TC spark can do clean, fat, and mid boost ala TS.

13. 71strat

71strat Member

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive.

Will also work with any type of Amplifier, or Pickup combination. Tone Control is more of an EQ to Shift Upper/Lower Harmonics, and also makes it very easy to match the harmonics of the pickups/amplifier at unity gain.

In all honesty, it makes my Timmy (1458 chip ) sound like it has a blanket on it, and also the Timmy has way more artifacts/grainy character vs the 4644.
    I still use my Timmy as Ive had it 8 years, and have the sound dialed in with certain pedals, and simply have no need to mess with it, but I also have the 4644, and it is a much surperior pedal if youre wanting clean, clear, non coloring Drive at Low-Medium Gain.

This pedal wont do Metal, Mud, or Ice Pick, though the harmonics can be shifted, and makes for a more harmonically rich sound vs any other Drive Ive used. The pedal is stellar when it comes to dialing in Low End, and not losing harmonic detail.

4644 can also Drive 2 amps/pedal boards.

Has Dual Splitter x 2x Buffered Out x 1 Hardwired Bypass.

14. Riffa

Riffa Member

Give the DOD Bifet a try. I really like mine.

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Or even better yet, the Keeley modded version. :aok