Complaints for the DLS echotap delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Mar 7, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Hello Echotap users, I was looking at the features on these and they look interesting but you all are the ones I trust so I ask you Are you happy with the echotap dalay? Any quirks? Hows the tone, warm like tape?
    Anything its lacking? whatever, please provide us with your experience and knowledge--THANK YOU

2. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I like mine very much. Very warm and tape-ish. The internal trims are nice....would be nicer if they were accessible from the outside, but it's a nice feature. My only complaint would be that there's very little high end on tap, even with the tone maxed....but it really is a great sounding unit and I'm keeping mine right where it is!

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

All around a great sounding pedal - tap tempo works well, and the tone control (although some say different) is surprisingly effective (IMO). The only knock against it in my book is its size. I didn't use the tap tempo feature, and I have no use for long delays, so I sold mine and replaced it with a Maxon AD-80 for the smaller footprint - and I haven't looked back...

4. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I had one. It sounds really good. The tone control is very nice. The only thing it's missing is a dotted eighth setting for tapping. I'm using a T-Rex Replica now.

John

5. gpro34

gpro34 Member

What do you mean exactly by high end?--Thank's

6. James Knox

James Knox Member

I have 2 of them - and I like them very much.

Have tried to bump the DLS Echo Tap off the board with a Maxon AD900, Boss DD6 and a SIB Mr eho - NOPE.

I am currently doing a shoot out with the DLS against a Line 6 Echo Park, DL4 and a Boss DD20 - so far the DLS is staying.

There are two things I wish it had: dotted 8's and the ability to dial in delay repeats for each channel independantly. The current version has a delay repeat knob that controls BOTH tapped and dialed in repeats. I would like to set it up for 2 short repeats and 5 long repeats. Also the input/outputs sides are reversed from most other pedals.

Other than that I LOVE the sound and the 2-in-1 feature of the pedal.

Peace,

James

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yep, I had one for a while, and what I wish was different:

a) dotted eighths

b) separate repeat controls

c) some kind of way to give it character, or grit it up, like the old rackmount digital delays. Its such a clean delay that it almost comes across as boring.

d) swap those inputs/outputs around.

e) I like it when the light pulses on with the tempo, not off (that wasn't a big deal though)

Besides that, it has excellent build quality, parallel processing (keeps the clean tone in tact) and low noise. If you want a clean delay this is the one!

8. guitarboy

guitarboy Silver Supporting Member

I love the tone... don't like the size... eats too much board space...
    yet, it remains on my board!:)

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I'm just saying that even with the tone maxed, it's still pretty dark. I like the tone at that setting, but there's nowhere to go except even darker.

That being said, I think it's a very versatile and great sounding delay. I use the tap completely by feel and it works great for me.

10. johndara

johndara Member

In regards to the darkness issue: Output B is the brighter of the two so you can always use that one if Output A is too dark. I did some research on the Echo Tap because there were a couple on the gear page for sale. The date on one of them was 3/04 and I wanted to know if there was any upgrading done. DLS did do an upgrade on the capacitors to brighten the unit up, not sure of the exact date they did this but it was after the early part of 2004.

11. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

12. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

The Echo-tap is not "dark" at all. The tone control is reversed - when you turn it up it attenuates the highs. All the way "off" is almost dead-on neutral and very much like analog delay. The B output brings back in some of the digital artifacts and makes the pedal brighter but not necessarily better. My only complaints are the size and the incremental vs continuous control of delay times. I'm a delay fan and I keep trying to find something I like better. The T-Rex Replica is very nice but more colored and, IMHO, less flexible. I'd love to try a Moogerfooger sometime. All in all a hell of a delay pedal.

13. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Hello there, I just read your review and found it helpful; however, there was still one question I have that was not answered. Can you have two different delay settings set and go back and fourth between long delay's and short delay's on the fly? So far I know that the line 6, echozar and quicksilver are the only ones I know of that can but It would be great if this unit could do this.--Please help, Thank's

14. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Yep. The switch from the normal to tap tempo side is immediate. To go from the tap side to the normal means pressing down the tap footswitch for about 1.5 seconds.

15. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I've had mine about a month now, and am starting to get comfortable with it. I don't think I'll ever be totally confident in a two channel delay unless there are independent wet-to-dry mix, tone, and repeats parameters for each channel. That said, the DLS represents the best combo of practicality/usefulness and good tone in a digital that I've encountered.

For acoustic-electric jobs, I've been using the DLS along with a Maxon AD-80 (for slaps). On the DLS, I tap the tempo whenever practical to do so, and set the 'preset' channel @ 400ms, with a less-wet mix than the 'tap' side - for occasions where I don't have opportunity to tap, and for when 300ms is not quite enough.

I carried the DLS out to its first electric guitar gig today. Not sure if you'd call it a typical "gig"; it was a live radio broadcast. I only used the 'tap' side today, which worked very well. Also on board were Maxon AD-900 (for default general ambience; 400-600ms, variable), and BOSS DM-2 (for slaps and doubling).

Currently using Echoczar and Analog Man-modded BOSS DD-3 on my 'rock 'n' roll' board.

As to the DLS, with regard to my aforementioned "perfect world" want list, I nonetheless find it to be a valuable tool, and certainly a keeper. Regarding the "tone", so far I like it better than any other digital peds I've played. For starters, the decay trail is very natural and satisfying to the ear. Haven't recorded this ped yet.

16. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering the DLS Echotap.

Would anyone who has owned both an Echo Tap and a Memory Lane be prepared to comment on the tonal differences, pros, cons....

17. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I had a DLS and now use a Replica......

The Replica is the best pedal of it's kind I've found.

Got a Maxon 999 too.

I think I like the Replica better...

18. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Thanks,

Replica ordered :).

19. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I've got an Echotap, DD3 and a EH DMM.

The DD3 has crystal clear repeats and the DMM has the whole analogue plus modulation deal but...

The Echotap is a very useful delay pedal. Yes it has some limitations and yes it's a 'dark' pedal but here's how I use it.

I set the filter to nearly full and the repeats to 3-4. I then set the red channel to 150ms and back off the volume so it's an ambient sound. I then set the tap tempo volume quite high. I can then switch from an ambient/slapback to tap tempo. If i want more functionality I add the DMM or DD3 depending on what I want.

20. hardys

hardys Supporting Member

I just got an Echotap last night and have a question please. I've found that with the level controls for the delay repeats turned fully counter clockwise (minimum repeat levels) the repeats are still too loud for me for certain applications. Sometimes I just want a hint of delay but can't get the repeats quiet enough. I found I can lower the levels more with tone control, but then the repeats are darker than I like.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal or do I have a problem with this specific unit? Other delay pedals I've tried allow the repeats to be lowered considerably more. I really love everthing else about this pedal and the sound quality is my favorite of any others I've tried.

Steve