Complementary pedals for a Zoom G3?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Super Strat Strut, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Super Strat Strut

Super Strat Strut Member

I have a Zoom G3, and being just a bedroom player and guitar fan, it's everything I need on a budget.

But I've made a board and I want to add a pedal or two. I'll buy a Zoom FP02M (expression pedal) to use it for Wah, Vibe...

Any other recommendations? Any other pedal that will complement the Zoom G3 effects (overdrives, boots, modulation...).

:aok

2. rsm

rsm Member

Had a G3, moved to G5 (and now onto other things).

What do you think is missing in the G3? I never felt it was lacking in effects, just curious.

Coaxing a pristine clean and foot navigation were my "issues", FWIW.

3. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Do the ashbass mods... external tap tempo, patch changes, etc

4. Super Strat Strut

Super Strat Strut Member

Just the opposite, it's quite amazing the number of effects and the overall quality for such price.
    I was wondering about overdrives and boosts... it has some well known ones, but I was thinking if some others could 'add' some tonal tastes to the unit. For example, the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Big Muff PI for fuzz o the Barber Gain Changer... I don't know.

5. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

I too am a budget conscious guy and I found the ehx glove is a great overdrive into my ms50g.

6. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

i tried my keely modded ds-1 into it and it made it "bad"..so I gave up on the trying to improve it "thing" and just use it as is.. :)

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

This ^
    Completely transforms the utility of this pedal.

And its own Guv OD in front of the Fender amp model is really good!

jon

8. aoporto

aoporto Gold Supporting Member

I paired up my G3 with an MS-50G which provides a Tails option for Delay and Reverb affects. Works great if I only want to use a couple pedals. I'm considering getting an external Dunlop Wah so that I can use my expression pedal for volume control only. I did not have good luck with external dirt pedals, I found it easier to dial in tones with those in the G3.

9. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I would suggest a couple good ODs and a compressor in front of the G3. I liked to dial in an amp with some breakup and then goose it with the drives, then goose the drives with the compressor. With that setup I could go from clean to moderate gain and anywhere in between. It also allowed me to keep the amp model "off screen" so that the three slots were taken up with: a modulation --> a delay --> a final solo boost. I used a Boss FS-U for tap tempo.

For compressors, I really like the smaller ones - Mooer Diamond comp clone or the Xotic SP. For drives may favorites in this context are:

Kingsley Harlot
    Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver
    Horus Overdrive from JColoccia
    Wampler Euphoria

You can run everything off a One Spot on a Pedaltrain Mini.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

A zoom MS-70CDR after the G3, with an Xotic SP Compressor, a Timmy and an MXR FET Driver in front.

11. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

If you're going thru tube amps, a real OD pedal sounds noticeably better IMO. The G3's Overdrive isn't bad, but I much prefer a real one. The Tube Screamer model on the other hand is pretty bad. Nothing compared to an actual 808.

12. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Agreed. The guvnor set to a low gain in front of the twin is a great clean tone. I also did the rat set low in front of the jcm800. Really nice dirt tone that still has dynamics and can clean up a bit with the volume knob. In general I don't set any gains on the zoom over 50. Most stay under 15. They stack nicely.

13. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

For that reason I would recommend the Zoom MS-100BT. The TS you purchase is miles better than the TS that comes with other Zoom gear. It also has an OCD, Sweet Honey, and Klon models on top of Bss amps and effects and more delay and modulation options.

Just make sure you have an iOS device and you're all set.

14. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I have had a G5 for a number of years, as my only pedal. First thing I did was get a tap tempo pedal as I use a lot of dotted 8th note delay. There is another way to tap tempo on the unit footswitches (when in Looper mode) but its just easier. I then started adding ODs and Distortions in front of it (Digitech Bad Monkey and Fultone OCD), and now I pretty much don't use the stomp models as real pedals sound so much better in front of it than the fake models. I also sometimes run in the front of a a tube amp, so if that's the case I won't use an amp model either. Where the G5 really excels is in the delays and reverbs. But have to tell you I just bought a Zoom MS-70CDR Multistomp(Chorius Delays and Reverbs) and with my ODs and Dist I am not really using my G5 much these days, and liking my tone better with the Indiv pedal setup.

Still a good unit but some of the models are weak to my ears, especially the amps and Dist/OD Models.

15. Tito83

Tito83 Member

I've had better luck using the amp models with the cab turned off for OD.

Better than the Ash Bass mod I guess. Not cheap, but so useful that makes it worth it IMO. If you're handy you could probably built one with Arduino, the Disaster Area thing probably is Arduino based, there's a bunch of information if you look for it.

16. Super Strat Strut

Super Strat Strut Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm looking more for an overdrive pedal, more for starting a 'collection' or having some pedals that for practical use.
    Looking at the effects list and thinking about having some overdrives that complement the ones on the G3 (with budget in mind), I'm toward a BOSS DS-1 or a Barber Gain Changer.
    Because any other pedals that I might think of, are similar to a Tube Screamer or other pedals in the G3.

What do you think?