Complete my pedal board with tight high gain pedal through my fly rig

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tomsy49, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

I am almost totally happy with my setup at the moment. Almost being the key word. Right now my chain goes

Guitar->Korg Ptchblack-> Whammy DT->Little Big Muff-> Tech 21 RK5 fly rig-> AltoTS112a

This setup satisfies most of my tones for my home use and jamming with friends. I will be puting in the digitech trio which i preordered once it arrives. The only piece i am missing is to something reach some nice modern metal tones. I am not looking to spend more than $100 give or take $20 say. Will be looking into used on ebay because i live in rural Canada so tough to find used gear. The RK5 gets close on its own but gets a bit fuzzy with too much gain. I have a trademark 10 amp that i like through the Alto but since i can't change from clean to dirty its not ideal. If i travel a pedal would be more convenient on my board as well.

I found an AMT R1 for under $120 in Canada and i may pull the trigger. I think since it is a pre-amp pedal running it into the sans amp portion of the RK 5 would yield a perfect combo. The Rectifier sound isn't exactly what im after. I like the 5150 sound a little better but i haven't found a used P1 for a good price. Also found a tech 21 double drive 3X but i think thats more of a mid gain pedal. Also looked into the Joyo high gain pedals but haven't found too many positive reviews. Are there any other recommendations you guys have to complete my setup?

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Try an EHX Metal Muff.

3. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

Dirty bomb? I really like the rockett animal but that is more of a Marshall/modded kind of vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

It has been my observation that anyone who actually needs a "fly rig" doesn't usually ask a bunch of guys on a board what to put on it...
    But I've been wrong before.

5. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

The term fly rig just refers to the fact that i use the tech 21 fly rig, not that i actually need this rig to "fly" to gigs with. I just mean i like that i have a pedal that is a basic "multi effects" pedal that covers most of my tonal needs. It does clean to Metallica like gain very well but i just want to add one more pedal for modern gain which i like to play occasionally.

6. Serenity

Serenity Member

Most of my suggeations would take you well over your $100 budget. But the MI Audio Super Crunch Box might be worth a look. But IMO you'd be better off upping your budget, if possible, and look at getting the Weehbo Bastard. I've found it worth spending more on high gain pedals than with most other effects.

7. jayefboy

jayefboy Member

I'm looking for a pedal that can get me as close as possible to that modern metal tone (rectifier/5150). these are some of the best sounding pedals for me:

• - piod effects - what you want 2
    • - amptweaker - tight metal
    • - mi audio - megalith delta
    • - egnater or amt pedals

I've heard that a problem in this pedals is a tendency to get 'lost in the mix'. Can you tell me your views about this?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  8. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

Mooer Blade, fits the desired tone and budget. And its tiny! :)

9. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

10. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Amptweaker Tight Metal, if 5150 and high gain metal tone is what you want, get it from the guy that designed that amp with EVHs demanding ears, and Schecters modern metal monster with Synyster Gates.

11. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

It's about$140-165 used, but a Wampler Pinnacle is awesome for the tones you seek.

12. benvigil

benvigil Member

I think you were on the right track with the AMT R1, but I'd skip it and get the P1 -- I've owned both. There is VERY little difference between the two. The R1 has a slight low-end bump (compared to the P1) around 100Hz but the P1 has quite a bit more gain on tap, which makes it much more versatile.

I've yet to find a better 5150-in-a-box style pedal. Period.

13. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Amptweaker tight rock