complete noob question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dkals, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dkals

dkals Member

I was checking out a Palomino 32V based on what I have read on this forum. Being a noob I was comparing it to a VOX 50 watt amp.

On the VOX I could turn it way down and still get a good sound from the speaker. Is there a way on the Palomino to get a good sound at a low volume? This is strictly going to be used for playing in the house. Should I consider the Palomino V16. My feeling is that I will want a tube amp in the future so maybe I should get the Palomino and skip all of the toys that come associated with the vox.

2. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

The crate is a great choice...all the way down to the v8...I already have too many low wattage amps, or i would buy a palomino...great bang for the buck too....BTW, even the v8 is LOUD when cranked!

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I've owned both the 16 and the 32. The difference is the clean "channel", and I put channel in quotes because it's not technically a different channel, but a variation on the the dirty channel (actually, the other way around, so strike that and reverse it).

The clean channel on the 32 is voiced to sound like a fender, and it does a pretty damn good job of it. Otherwise, they are very similar, with obviously slightly more clean headroom and volume, and a fuller sound due to the larger cabinet, out of the 32.

The 32 is a very loud amp, and there's not much room in that clean channel for bedroom levels. Literally, its too loud even before you get to 1. That's why I would recommend the 16 for bedroom levels. It can also keep up with a drummer, just not with the same degree of clean headroom as the 32.

These amps are one of the best values on the market. In my opinion, the tone and feel of the 16 are superior to the competition, which I would consider the Fender Blues Jr. and Peavey Classic 30. Roadworthiness is another issue, but not relevant to bedroom applications.

I can't really comment on solid state gear, since I've owned very little of it. I had a line 6 Flextone for a day, and hated it. I've heard good things about the Roland cube series--of all things--but never have tried them.

Anyway, you cant go wrong with the palominos, and they are ON SALE AT GUITAR CENTER

4. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the Forum-We're all "Noobs" in some way-Nothing wrong with asking questions, and it's really a great bunch of guys here!!

5. dkals

dkals Member

Thanks for the replys and the help. Tomorrow at GC the V16 is mine.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

7. dkals

dkals Member

By low volume I mean not driving the wife & kids out of the house. So if I wanted the sound without all of the volume do I turn the volume up and the gain down?
    Also being the noob what does the the second channel and FX loop afford me in the future? Thanks:horse

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If you want more distortion (on the dirty "channel") you turn the gain up and the volume/level down. The second "channel" on the V32 is a clean channel. You can switch between them if you need/want with the footswitch. An FX loop is nice if you decide you want to use effects like delay,chorus,flange ,especially if you are playing medium to high gain stuff(distorted) as these type of effects dont work as well in front of the amp(as in-guitar to effects to amp) Its also nice for volume boosts when playing higher gain stuff. You can put an EQ pedal in the FX loop and get any volume level boost you want right at you feet. Ive come to rely on an amp having an FX loop. You might not want this flexability now but perhaps in the future you might. Then again you might not ever need these added features in which case all this is moot.
    At any rate 16 or 32 watts can be loud.Both sound good to me at lower volumes. Both these amps are on serious sale at GC. Both are great deals. 399$ for an amp like the V32 is a fantastic deal. 279 for the V16 is aesome too. HTH-Bob

9. dkals

dkals Member

O.K.

Picked up the Palomino 32 today. Sweet!!!!

Oh how I hate GC. The sales mope when I first went in last week tried to tell me the sale price was on the floor model only. I said o.k. thanks for the help I will go order it online then. How fast his tune changed. I said do I look like some 18 year old kid. The guy even tried to tell me the foot switch would be extra. They had it shipped in from the warehouse and forgot to call me.
    Something tells me the corporate management has no idea what a J.D. Powers ranking is.
    I will avoid GC like the plague unless it is an unbelievable sale. Then I will cave go their get the usual garbage line they give out and use the antibacterial soap I have in the car after I leave.
    One last thing. Why does the reverb sound horrible if you turn it up past 4?
    Besides it has the new tube smell when I light it up, the foot switch came with it. And best of all on the back it says made in the U.S.A.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Describe horrible. Mines a bit "boingy" past 4 but not terrible. I use it somewhat sparingly-noon or below... Cant believe GC tactics sometimes!- trying to pawn off the floor models. That said I dont mind buying a floor model if its clean. Its been put thru the paces. Power tubes usually die within the first few hours and such. The amp really comes alive with a speaker change. Still dig mine after a 1 1/2 years owning it. Its got nicer sparkling cleans than the rest of my amps and great dirty tones. Hope you like it as much as I like mine! IMO its the most tube tone you can find for 399$!
    :BEERBob

11. dkals

dkals Member

On clean, no boost or prescence. Volume at 3 normal treble, mid and bass tone levels. If I turn the reverb past 4 I just start to get a loud constant humming noise. Same happens if I switch to overdrive.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My reverb doesnt add any hum at all no matter how high you turn it up on either channel. Something is not right. Might try checking/wiggling the reverb cables where they go into the reverb tank. Maybe one isnt in all the way. Might want to exchange it for another one if thats not the problem. The dirty channel is another story- that will hum a bit as you turn up the gain but the reverb shouldnt add any hum at all. Bob