Complete this Cascading Gain MultiPedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LeicaBossNJ, Apr 18, 2016.

1. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Ok.

My "dream build" is in the works, and I need your help!

Currently, I use a Box of Rock (Distortion into Clean Boost) from ZVEX with a TS-9 in front of it. This has been my thing for a while now, and I'm looking to build a single pedal with three stomps in it. The idea is a cascading gain pedal with a buffer up front. If I get VERY feisty, I may put an Echoplex Style "boost" at the end. I'll put all 3 (or 4) stomps into a single housing and daisy chain everything internally.

Here's the question - what circuit or pedal concept should be the first dirt pedal in the chain? The Distortron takes a lot of things well. What will make this build best?

2. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

Why not stick with a TS9?

Could do a love pedal eternity
    Full drive 2 or 3
    Endless TS type pedals out there

Barnzy likes this.
  3. jamiefbolton

Or...jack orman minibooster

4. LeicaBossNJ

Those are good choices - maybe I was hoping for a crazy idea, lol. Maybe something a little more transparent would be ggo - Timmy or L=Klon-esque?

I think an OD or Distortion may be best in the front of the chain for me. boost --> Distortion --> Boost might be too much for me to get my head around.

5. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Option 1. Transparent type (Timmy, Red Snapper or an ODR-1 circuit)
    Option 2. TS type (you pick the features of that circuit)
    Option 3. RAT type.
    There's the choices I would consider. I have wanted to build a three pedal box plus boost for a long time. Some day....

LeicaBossNJ likes this.
  6. jamiefbolton

7. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    As first in the chain, I would suggest either Klon-type circuit or a Treble Boost circuit. I use a Klone as my first dirt, but keep the volume and drive relatively low, so I can use it by itself as gentle tone sweetener or just to kick a little extra juice into my later OD pedals. I also have Treble Boosters both in front of my OD line-up and one within it (a custom Prince of Tones>Treble Boost OD pedal), which is another great way to drive later dirt up a notch or two.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    jamiefbolton and LeicaBossNJ like this.
  8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What guitar, what amp and what style of music?

9. LeicaBossNJ

The Box of Rock combo with any decent overdrive up front works pretty well with anything really except for very jazzy, classic country and heavy tones. Also plays nice with any low-to-medium output pickups. Use mine with a range of PRS HH to Vintage Wound Strat. Amps as well - depending on the say, it may go into a compressing Mesa Mark or a clean Fender-tone-stack Egnater.

The wild card is that I don't really want something with too much of a mid-bump and that can either push the "Distortron" pedal or provide a lot to medium gain sound on its own.