Completed My Trainwreck Build!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, Jun 17, 2013.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

Whew, after many months of sourcing parts, reading through amparage posts, diagrams, etc and assembly, I finally finished and tested it this past weekend.

I was prepared to go back to the drawing board and would have been happy if any sound came out but no.....it sounded great from the first fire up! Very little hiss and the tone of an amp that I would seriously pay a couple Gs for. I'm beside myself. Cost less than $600 so far.

I used Allyn's chassis and trannys (Pacific) and basically all the parts listed in the ampgarage build checklist(except Mallory electrolytics). Not sure about the cab yet, but I knew I didn't want the wood faceplate. Had this one made by BNP Lasers.

Did I mention it sounds great? :rockin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on your first pass success. Keep us posted as you complete your project.

3. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

wow, nice work Jeff. Looks clean! Can't wait for those clips now?

4. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Well done! Nice faceplate too!

6. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

Thanks! If I end up with a tolex head I'm going to see if I can get that Komet design. If wood, I want it to look like a couple of the Alessandro head cabs I've seen. I'm not too keen on the traditional Trainwreck look.

For the time being I'll just play it as is. No rush.

7. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Looks killer!

OT What's the name on the powertubes? What are they? Looks like KRACO but they can't be from Kragen? LOL

I vote your own headshell design instead of using Komet's style.
    Nice work!

8. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

I got the tubes form Mitch Colby. They are Dynaco labelled Siemens.

I have a Komet 60 and I picked up a few months ago. It's my 3rd one and it came loaded with EI preamps and it's the best sounding K60 of the 3. I'm going to see if I can get some more of these tubes. I have a hunch they would sound perfect with the Wreck. I'm won't take them out of the K60 even to test them in the Wreck.

I was thinking of designing (not making) my own cab as well. If I do it will be a bare wood cab.

9. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Ahh nice. Those are my favorite 34's. Though mine aren't labeled Dynaco.

Beautiful job!
    One of these days Ima build me a liverpool...

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Looks fabulous! One minor critique. The bias diode might be too close to the board screw and nut. Replace with longer leads and bend them 90 degrees to move the diode away. I know its my OCD kicking in, but you never know...

11. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I dig the faceplate! Nice amp

12. UconnJack

UconnJack Supporting Member

Very cool Jeff, nice work.

13. cap217

cap217 Member

How much experience did/do you have building amps?

14. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

Nice!! Looks nice and tidy in there too. I been curious about trying this lately. Congrats on it working first try!

15. cap217

cap217 Member

Can I also ask a stupid question?

At what point of building an amp does it become dangerous? I assume it has to be powered up to get any power in the caps. But if I build an amp and then test it and it doesn't work properly and need to fix it I don't want to die!

Advice on this? I might attempt a build with NO experience. But I can solder and follow layouts.

16. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

You're correct, it's dangerous once you fire it up for the first time and no sound comes out. You're not going to die, you just need to properly discharge the caps and confirm that they are drained before you start tinkering with it again.

No one has experience when they build their first amp. Don't try and build a 100 watt Superlead with no experience. Start with something easy like a Tweed Champ kit and work your way up.

17. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

This design (express) discharge itself in 2 or 3 minutes. Just unplug the power chord, switch both the power and standby on and in probably less than 3 minutes read the voltage in pin1 of V1. Less than 10vdc and you are safe!!
    Very convenient safety feature. But, if you aren't trained in electronics, don't do it!!

18. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Awesome build bro! Looks fantastic!

I've been interested in building a "simple" circuit, and your build has inspired me to consider it once again. The big question for me is the amount of time it takes, and can I find the time...I not electronically inclined, although I can solder...thus giving me just enough rope to hang myself!

IIRC, I got your last K60 in a trade for my Carol Ann OD2.

I'm not a big fan of the wood headshells either, I'd go with a tolex design. IMO.
    Great job again! Thanks for posting.

19. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

A good friend of mine died from an electric shock from a small Fender amps charged caps back in 1986.

With respect I suggest you revisit some fundamentals about electrical safety before giving advice like that. I make no apologies for being a dick, people lives are only inches from ending without that knowledge.

It takes between 100mA and 200mA through the heart to stop it even in a healthy person.
    The resistance of the body depends on many factors including how much perspiration is on your skin. Typically on a hot day it can be around 2k.
    Using ohms law that means a voltage of just 200v from hand to hand can take you out. A current of just 20mA is enough to cause a painful shock.

Fact: Many amps can store for days enough charge to kill you. My buddy learned that.

Learn about electrical safety before even starting to build a first amp, its not just about fun and creativity. Sorry.

I'm not really mean, it just worries me. I've built over 1000 amps and I have more respect for electricity than ever. One sevond of complacency is all it takes. Never assume anything and always measure twice. Don't ever play your guitar while an open chassis is on the bench or god forbid the kitchen table, the strings are a perfect ground. One hand on guitar o e hand in chassis-straight through heart. I've seen so many idiots changing trimmer settings with a guitar around their neck.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  20. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I was once working on a Marshall...no sound. I found the choke wire was broken/disconnected from the PCB. The first filter cap had about 450+ volts stored in it because it had no way to discharge.

So when building, repairing or otherwise tinkering in an amp, you need to CHECK if there's any stored voltage!!! Please do not ASSume that it's safe